livewell valve leaking

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve Johansen

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I have a problem with my livewell.

It doesn't stay empty when the drain is shut and it doesn't stay full either! The drain is letting water past when shut. The valve is cable controlled from a little lever by the motor controls and I was wondering if it is common to have to adjust the linkage or cables to make sure that closed on the switch is closed on the valve, or is it probably time to replace it?

If it is time to replace it where do you get one?

Thanks!

Steve

Steve, Not sure who made your livewell system but mine was made by Flow-rite. They have a web site with alot of info.

There is a flapper in the valve. You either have an obstruction or it needs a rebuild. Call FloRite. They will hook you up.

Thanks!

I'll probably take it apart before I call them, that way I'll have any part numbers or model numbers for them when they ask.

Thanks!

Steve

Steve,

Before you tear too much apart, try a hose to force water under pressure through the lines. If it is a blockage, you might be able to break it loose. Maybe a friend to work the valve back and forth while the water is running. Might not do anything, but it's simple enough to try first.

Gotta second g8rmac's advice. Many times fish upchuck (bones, etc.) will wedge in the valve and a strong steady stream of water can dislodge the debris while working the valve. The cable can also stretch over time, not fully opening or closing. I'd flush first, then disassemble to check for slack or improper cable movement. I added a link that may help. Good luck! ;)
http://www.flow-rite.com/marine/product-info/valves

Mine's been like that for years..I just use a baliers plug when I fill the livewell;)

Well I took a look at the valve and the clamp that holds the cable casing had loosened off. When I was moving the control handle from OPEN to CLOSE just the casing was moving at the valve end so the valve itself wasn't operating.

One little inkage adjustment and it works good again!

Thanks!

Latest posts

Back