Lessons Learned Fishing Florida

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott Hammer TOXIC

Reaction score
First let me say that Florida has kinda grown on me but there are a few lessons that I have learned the hard way.

First, surf fishing is a blast and I've got a couple of rods dedicated to that. Normally I use Fish Bytes which is a no-mess great bait. I have found that some sort of natural bait works better at times. So with the wife, daughter and one of her friends here, I decided to go to the beach and while they hunted for shells, I would surf fish. Before we left, I went to the fish store and got a mackerel and some shrimp for bait. It was a great day fishing capped off by what I think was a pretty good sized shark who just about spooled me twice and just as I was making some good ground landing him, he bit through my wire leader.:angry: We packed up and went home and for a couple of days enjoyed the pool and lounged around. I went out to get the mail and I thought there was a nasty smell coming from the pond. Well, it wasn't the pond, it was the back of my truck where I had forgot about 2lbs of mackerel and a 1/2 full tub of shrimp!!:eek::eek: This had been in the back of the truck for 2 days at 90 degree plus heat, with my undercover locked tight. When I opened the back, the smell was something I will never forget, and for me that is saying a lot!!:lol: It ranks right up in the top 3 of foul smelling things of all time!! I had to empty the bed of the truck and clean and disinfect the entire thing as well as leave it open for a couple of days!!:lol: :lol: Makes leaving one in the livewell smell like perfume compared to the smell that came out of my truck.

Freshwater fishing is fun and you get to see some amazing sights like this:

Birds.jpg

But then nature calls and you are looking for a spot to make an emergency stop you have to look out for these little guys......Kinda makes Neeley's blackfly story a minor inconvenience:lol: :lol:

gator1.jpg

That will make you cut it short in a hurry!!

TOXIC

Don't you just love Florida.....and all of nature's wonders.....that gator could cut "it short" in a hurry

Just got a call from the wife on her drive home. Her father is not doing well at all. They are only giving him 48hours. Let's hope they are wrong. She will board a plane tomorrow morning for Kansas City. If things get worse, I'll drive the truck back to VA, Fly to KC with the daughter and then fly back to Jax. That way the truck will already be there for our trip. I'll just fly home before we leave. Stink is all gone and I am packing for 2 trips right now.

TOXIC

Always used shrimp for surf fishing Tox. Went to Mayport and bought it from the shrimpers.

fatrap

Latest posts

Back