Leaky Battery

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ken Howell

Reaction score
Hey All!!

Got a question about my battery. Last night while I was charging my batteries, I noticed that one of them was leaking fluid through the top where the cap is. I last filled them last year and might have filled too much. Is my battery shot? Is this dangerous?

Thanks,

Ken

You'll be okay,..just wipe up the spillage and keep an eye on it to avoid any corrosion building up on your cable connections. Over-filling is easy to do....but it would be a good idea to pop the caps off occasionally to make sure you're not losing it due to a cracked battery case. Whenever you add water to a battery, make sure it's "distilled water" too....tap water is not good enough!! (Too many minerals and other stuff added,..like chlorine and flouride,...you want just pure distilled H2O!)

Be sure NOT to get any acid on your hands or clothes...if you do, wash them immediately with soap and water!!

Good luck!!

Mac

Thanks Mac. But how far to the top should I fill my battery?

Thanks,

Ken

I keep mine filled so the water is "just below" the bottom of the neck where the cap goes on.....the water needs to be able to "boil" and expand, without leaking out the top as you described. Fill it so it's almost to the top of the battery without coming up into the neck...overfilling will NOT damage your battery,..it'll only cause leakage and develop unwanted "powdery" corrosion on whatever it comes in contact with....so don't worry,..just keep it full and try not to "overfill" it.....no worries Mate!! (Use a turkey baster to fill it...they work GREAT!!)

Mac

I was reading my manual last night and it recommended to not fill each cell more the 3/16 over the fill neck. This would allow for charging without boilover.

RoyC

Latest posts

Back