Lauching solo??

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bryan Craft

Reaction score
What is the best way to launch and load your boat if you are going by yourself?

i have the 17' lx700 model and go by myself most of the time. what I do is let out a foot or so of the winch strap and leave it connected (just enough so the bow of the bow will come off the front bow stop roller). I back the boat in till it just starts to slide off the trailer. what happens is that the bow comes off of the bow stop roller which it sits on when trailered and the boat floats while still on the trailer between the bunks. I climb on the trailer tounge, get in the boat, start her up and back off the trailer. I motor to the boat dock and tie off the boat. walk over to the truck, and pull the trailer out and park. walk back down to the boat and go fishing. Its really not bad at all as long as the ramp is not real busy and there is a boat dock to tie up to when your moving the truck. hope this helps.

jd

note: (for charlie) unhook the winch strap before you back the boat off the trailer. :^)

jd you forgot to unhook the winch strap and forget the boat dock we can just ram it up on the sand,rocks,ramp not like those sparkely boats !! LOL

What I try to do is Launch as close as possible to the dock. I back the boat just enough to have it start to float off the trailer then I unhook the front strap. Then I walk on the dock and walk onto the boat from there. Then I will start her up and back it up. Usually only a foot will be needed to tie her off right where I launched if the dock isnt too busy. Hope this helps..

Max

<>< <>< <>< <><

I went to Gander Mtn and bought a cheap pair ($15) of hip boots that I keep in the boat. I put them on for launching and loading and toss them in the Jeep when I am on the boat. It really helps if you have to go in a little to straighten the boat on the trailer.

Rich D

I launch alone 90 percent of the time so I have it down to a science !! What I have found works well for me is to have a length of 3/8 dock rope 25 ft long. On one end I have a snap just like the one on the winch strap, on the other end I have a steel ring. I hook the snap to the bow eye and the steel ring to the snap on the winch strap. I back down till the boat floats off the trailer and then pull forward far enough to reach the bow snap without getting wet. I walk the boat to the dock or beach it and park my truck. Never had a problem, sometimes it is easier than with some partners helping you !!

Boat docks?? What are those?? LOL

Those are far and few between up here in my neck of the woods (Upstate NY/Western MA).

90% of the time, I'm by myself and use a 25 ft rope with snap rings and I use waders. Since we don't have docks up here I usually have to beach the boat in a sandy area.

For tournaments or when hubby goes with me, there's usually someone that will help me launch and load. I can launch and load just about as fast (sometimes faster) than someone who drives on and off.

After you do it a few times, you'll see that you won't take up much launch time.

Carli

I launch by myself 90% of the time as well and use James D's methods. Funny thing is, I've got the proceedure down well enough that I'm as fast or faster than most of the crazies at the ramp anyway!

me!

Doing what I do requires launching solo most of the time. Here's what I found to be the easiest way on EVERY boat I've ever launched alone with what came with it:

- First, undo rear straps, remove motor toter, make sure motor is trimmed up, check drain plug tight, then move to bow.

- Second, flip release switch on bow LEAVING HOOK ATTACHED (removing safety hook/strap if equipped) Pull amount of strap free equalling 1/2 boat total length. (i.e. 20' boat = 10' free strap still attached at bow.) Flip release switch back to engage, stopping anymore strap from coming out.

- Third, SLOWLY back rig down ramp keeping an eye on the transom looking for weight relieved by boat coming off bunks. When boat comes free of bunks, pull forward SLOWLY. You'll notice the boat not moving at first because of the slack coming out of your pre-measured extra strap length. When boat starts moving with you, continue to pull up ramp until fenders are above the water line. Your boat should be approximately 1/2 on the trailer with the rear floating and the bow dropped within easy step of the fender to board.

- Lastly, unhook strap, board boat, start engine, beach or dock boat, park rig, go fishin'!

After you've done this a couple times, you'll be amazed at how fast you can launch and load on your own. Good Luck!

Latest posts

Back