Lake Anna

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott Hammer TOXIC

Reaction score
Looks like CIII and I might make it to Anna this weekend. Anybody gonna be around on Sunday? KB....wanna come up? Any of you "live by the lake" guys gonna be there LOL? Hot Side? Cold Side?

TOXIC

Toxic,

I plan on being there on Saturday am through Sunday noonish. I'll be working on the house. The family will also probably be with me. In-laws may also be there,........but if you want to drop in on the hot side, you are more than welcome to use my ramp and leave your truck and trailer. Let me know.

If I go by myself, I would have some time to fish. Probably won't know until Friday night after the kids calm down from all of the halloween madness.

david.....

Tox / CIII,

Come on by. Can't fish this weekend but you are welcome to put in on hot or cold. Carlos wanted to stop by and pick up the cover for his 896. Will be coming down late Friday night an staying til Monday morning. Carlos has my numbers so just ring me up.

Bill

Hey Tox, or anyone in the D.C. area. It looks like I'll be in D.C. for Thanksgiving with my wifes family. I could use a getaway excuse on Friday or Saturday:')

Gene

Gene-

You're probably flying...

Was just going to warn you to keep your truck away from the Mother-in-Law...

LOL

az

Nope we're driving. The mother in-law will be left at home. She can't stand my father in-law.(the ex-husband) In fact she'd have a fit if she found out where were going!

Gene

Yikes!

then...let me get this straight...

you have TWO mother-in-laws???

aeeeeeeeeekkkk

az

Toxic or Carlos,

What is this "hot side" and "cold side" that youse guys refer to?

Bob G.

Bob,

Lake Anna was created to act as a cooling lagoon for a nuclear reactor power plant about 30 years ago. It has 3 cooling lagoons connected by navigable canals that are considered the 'hot' side. After the hot water leaves the power plant it goes through the 3 lagoons and then connects via a non-navigable area into the main part of the lake. At this point the water circulates back up the lake on the 'cold' side until it reaches the intake of the powerplant. Then it begins the cycle all over again.

The cold side is about 2/3-3/4 of the entire lake area. the hot side makes up the other 1/3-1/4.

The hot side is also called the private side because the only way to launch a boat there is to own land on it with a launch ramp or be part of a homeowner's association with a community ramp. No marinas or public facilities are on the hot side. When you need to gas up, you either have to pull the boat and drive to a gas station or carry cans down to the boat.

The cold side has a state park, lots of marinas, and public launch facilities. It also has bigger crowds because anyone can launch a boat there.

To give you an idea of the water temp spread, several weeks ago, the water temp at my dock (on the coolest part of the hot side) was about 70. When we traveled up to the power plant, the temp went up to 84. I've been there when it is greater than 95 during the summer- way too uncomfortable. It is a shock to the system to jump in when it is that hot.

Bill lives in an area that allows for access to either side of the lake.

david......

Anna is a 13,000 acre lake that is divided by a series of 3 Dikes. Approx. 9,000 acres on the "cold" side fed by 2 rivers and 4,000 acres on the "hot" side. The power plant sits on the cold side and draws water to cool the reactor rods. It pumps that water out into the hot side which is a series of 3 cooling lagoons as David said but they are large (4,000 acres in total). Also like he said the hot side stays very warm year round and the cold side has the normal seasonal patterns (although the water temp around where the hot side gets pumped back into the cold side is warmer). Hot side is private, cold side is public.

Gene, Let me know where you will be and we will see if we can't link up. My wife has been bugging me to go to Ohio for Turkey Day and I have been resisting. I don't know yet if my foot dragging and whining has worked!! LOL!! If I am at home we will get together.

TOXIC

Looks like CIII wants to do the cold side...glutton for punishment if you ask me LOL!! I made him pick. He wants to save the hot side for the reeeeaaaaall cold days!! Invite is still out there for a seat in my rig. Looks like I will be alone in my boat if KB doesn't drive up.

TOXIC

Just to add to the "hot" or "cold" situation you will find that in the summer the "hot" side is 18 degrees warmer than the cold. This past summer, even with the water levels up to normal the temperature registered 101 degrees where it is dischared near Dike 1. For those who think this may have a major impact on the fishing it does not. Needless to say we don't have any cold water trout (LOL) and it is really toooooooooooo hot to swim in (I keep the hot tub at 100 degrees) I have taken quite a few nice bass and a number of stripers from canal just out from Dike 1.

Tox / Carlos - You guys pick the time this fall / winter and I will show you some of the locations I have found. Besides Dike 1 canal (mouth), the other side of Dike three offers some nice coves with great cover.

Give me a call this weekend if you want to pick up the cover.

Cheers - Bill

Bill,

Thanks for the info.

KB, You gonna make it up?

Tox, Should I have picked the hot side??????/?

Bill, i still have your contact info and wil call as we get ready to leave the cold side (if we do not switch sides) About how long does it take to get from Sturgen Creek to your place?

Carlos

Nah...I need to get on fish again on the cold side. It is a good idea to wait till the water temps on the cold side are down to the 40's to switch over. Maybe we will even chase some stripers if we get out early enough.

TOXIC

What time you want to meet at Sturgeon? I can be there in the...0600 time frame. As I am still jet lagging, I may be there even earlier. I just seem to get tired a bit more earlier now is all.

Any word from KB?

Carlos

I have to get the boat from Teddy and it does not get light till around 0630-0700. I don't want to run with lights!! Plus it'll be cccccoooold!! LOL

TOXIC

Bill, will drop by on the way out if you ar not able to play any. You are going to coem by and fish or hang out some, right?????

Tox, Dare I call you a wimp.......hahhahahahah (just kidding big guy!!!!) Oh, I forgot, maybe a fair weather fisherman HAHAHAHAH

OK, I will meet you at Sturgeon creek at 0630, how does that one sound?????

Carlos <--- Enjoying watching this thread grow.

No problem. I'll get you launched for free. I talked to Teddy last night. He is heading out Sunday to get his new NITRO. Wanted me to take a client out Saturday. I told him no. Too much going on tonight and tomorrow (you know, that soccer thing and the end of season pizza party). I won't give up one on one time with my daughter. I'll e-mail him today and get some suggestions and spots. I have not made it by Sports Authority for you yet. I got that awful flu virus last week (all gone now). I'll swing by there today. See you at 0-dark-thirty!!

TOXIC

Tox,

Any word from KB or is he out of town? Thanks for the hook up on the launch fees!!! We have soccer tomorrow also and the party is some time next week. TOTALLY agree with the time with the son. Never give that up. Missed too dang much as it is.....

Carlos

He must be or he would have chimed in by now. That just means I will be running stag in my rig....A seat is still open to anyone who wants to go. If I don't get a response, I will invite my neighbor.

TOXIC

Hey Guys, Thanks for thr invite, But i have to finish the house im roughing in for a friend. how about Thanksgiving weekend? KB

Will have to see on that one KB. Can let you know later. Tox, want to ride with me or is 3 too much? Save you from having to drive the BIG one all the way there.

Carlos

Gotta pick mine up anyway CIII, might as well run it. I miss the old girl. Hey you could do me a favor and stop by that TM repair place and see if they have the lock down pin for my Gator Mount(67lb thrust motor). I lost the # and couldn't call them. And a short "how to" on putting it in would help. LOL. It is the pin that locks it in the stowed holding position on deck (not to operate the TM). Turkey Day weekend might be a go, I might be out of town. Gotta wait and see.

TOXIC

Will run by there as soon as Sue gets back. You want just one pin, or an extra?

Carlos

Tox, I hope the foot dragging and whining work out better for you than it did for me! We'll be staying at the Omni, and spending time at my brother in-laws place on Capitol Hill.

Gene

Hey Gene, we'll see!! LOL Is that the Sheraton Omni out by Dulles or the one right off rt. 66? Either way you are not too far from me. If KB can get loose and Carlos we can have a good little get together.

CIII, one outta do it. I don't plan on busting another!! I'll tie that bad boy down if it gets that rough. I think LaMoy was trying to sink me!!

TOXIC

Toc,

Bought 2 of them. Did not get tht chance to read this prior to going to the eye dr. I cannot see SQUAT, so my typing will be worse then usual.

Buddy was at Sturgeon creek today and did not get anything bass or crappie on artificails or minnows. Wanna change???

Carlos

Nope. Not with this warm spell. We'll run from one end of that lake to the other if we have to!! Let's wait and see what Teddy has to say. Did you get any how to's on putting that pin in?? Just pound out the old one with the new one? Stopped by Sports Authority....only had the little Senko's for $3.99. If you want some I will get them at the lake tackle store and get my discount.

TOXIC

Cool deal, that was what i was thnking on the way back from soccer this morning.

Forgot to ask how to get the old one out. We can look at it tomorrow and see. Probally use a punch to start the old one out, then use the new one to push the old one out. Just a guess without lookign to see how much pressure it is under when not stowed.

Carlos

Latest posts

Back