Lake Anna - Cold Side & Hot Side

• Thread starter Christopher Laurencio
  • Start date
Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Christopher Laurencio

Reaction score
Just curious, what's the difference, why is one called cold side and the other hot side. Temp? or something else

I believe the cool side is the intake side of the plant and the warm side is the discharge side of the plant, (reactor).

RoyC

Adjacent to Lake Anna, but not open to the public is what Virginia Power dubbed the Waste Heat Treatment Facility (W.H.T.F.). This series of three connected mini-lakes or lagoons totals 3,400 acres and makes up the total 13,400 acres you hear when promoters describe the lake. This is somewhat misleading because access to the W.H.T.F. is limited to landowners and their guests.

The purpose of the W.H.T.F. is to receive the nuclear plant's cooling water and dissipate the heat it has acquired on its trip through the plant, into the atmostphere. This usually happens fairly well before the water mixes back into the lower end of the main lake at the only place where the "hot" side combines with the "cold".

Three earth and rock dikes separate the main lake from the W.H.T.F. Dike One creates Cooling Lagoon One. Dike Two corresponds to Pond Two. Dike Three, while like the others separates its pond from the main lake, also has a breech in it where the cooling water mixes back into the main lake.

The W.H.T.F. is an extremely unusual system, with warm, moving water flowing throughout much of its boundaries. This can give rise to some interesting fishing and boating opportunities. It has long been a secret year-round fishing hole among local landowners. Unfortunately, those water skiers lucky enough to gain access have also claimed sections of the "hot" side as their territory.

Currently there are two nuclear reactors operating at the plant. Original plans calling for the construction of two more reactors were scrapped after the initial four-unit power station/lake simulations promised to exceed new water quality standards that established water temperature limits.

So, that's why we just luuuuuuve Bill!!LOL

TOXIC

Here's the Reel Truth!!

The COLD side of Anna has 5, count em, 5 bass in it.

I've seen Toxic catch all 5 of em on numerous occasions!

The HOT side is another story

Even i can go over there and catch fish

Like catching fish in a bathtub with a net!!!!

The Hot side.....Get it!!

Thanks and enjoy the rest of the day in the park

Hey, the hot side is where it is at! The kids stay in the water a lot longer since they aren't freezing afer 20 minutes of play. I live on what is probably the coolest (temp wise) part of the hot side as my cove is feed by a creek and is pretty far from the power plant.

FYI - when the water at my place is 80, the temp up by the plant is pushing 95 and sometimes even higher. It is brutal to jump into the water there! What you expect is to be refreshed, but it is like jumping into a hot tub!

david.....

Do the fish glow In the dark yet ??????

neat.....Now thats one to mount....

Toxic had more time on his hands at 2 in the afternoon to type such a thorough and accurate reply......

Latest posts

Back