Kentucky Lake is CLOSED!!!

• Thread starter Brian Ingersoll
  • Start date
Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian Ingersoll

Reaction score
They have closed Kentucky and Barkley lakes until at least Monday due to high waters. No recreational traffic allowed and restrictions on commercial traffic. I've never heard of something like that. I knew we got an unbeleivable amount of water, but it is going to hit almost 11 foot above summer pool on Thursday.

The entire lake is closed???? The women from the former WBT were having a tournament there starting today to organize for the future. I considered taking off and going to it. Glad I didn't now. Our lakes in Nashville are CRAZY flooded but if you can find a ramp thats not under water (my launch is completely flooded and all parking is under water) you can still go. Not sure how good the fishing would be. I could probably cast out from my deck and land in the lake now.

Yep, entire lake. From mile marker 0 to 206, just below Kentucky dam to Pickwick dam. I'm not sure of the mile markers on Barkley.

I read that elsewhere this morning and saw where they were already handing out good boater awards to the tune of thou$and$ of dollar$ EACH!!!! :eek:

I ran into this head first today and it was not pretty Let me share my experience and I am curious what you guys think. A few days ago my wife and I reserved a small apartment on Kentucky Lake at the Big Bear Resort. We always stay at the Moors, but as Teri said there was a major tournament so they were booked. My wife and I decided last minute since our 2 kids were going to DC on a band trip we would take the advantage of the first time in 21 yrs of marriage to get away for a few days by ourselves and enjoy some fishing. We were supposed to arrive there tomorrow for 3 days. Today at noon I call to reserve a slip in the Marina and I am informed that the lake has been closed. I am almost speechless, but obviously ask if we would be able to cancel the reservation because no point in coming if the lake is closed. Somewhat cold response, but was told to call back after 4:30 because the manager would be there and they were the only ones to able to make that call. Wife called independently a few hours later and got the same response from an even less friendly person(not sure if same one). I come home and call about 4:45 and ask for the mananger and the person(could be the same one) asks what for. I say that I called earlier and was told to call back after 4:30 to talk to the manager. She immediately launches into a somewhat negative sounding would we like to schedule another time. I explain that this weekend is the only window my wife and I have due to the kid situation and our 21st anniversary so we would since we just reserved it a few days ago(trying to imply that they probably would not have rented it otherwise anyway), but quickly was reverted back to a re-schedule this year or next. By now I have figured out that there is no way the person is going to let me talk to the manager so I push a little (without raising voice or using any language) re-stating my position and asking if the $300 is worth losing me as a customer in the future. At that point in time the person gets quite defensive and says if your are going to be rude about this I won't talk to you and proceeds to hang up on me. I sat in my chair dumbfounded at what just happened. Obviously I am telling my version of the story, but I am quite comfortable in that I was never rude or un-professional to this person in any way. I was not sure how to proceed so I sent a very professional/polite email to the resort stating my version of what happened and stating that although I know they are completely within their legal rights to not refund my money I would have at least liked to get a chance to speak with the mamanger as promised earlier in the day. I told them if they would like to discuss more they could call or email me. What do you guys think?

Need less to say my wife and I are writing off the $300 and are now probably headed to Sourthern Il for a slightly lower budget trip.

I wasn't going to reply but what the heck.These people's lives have been turned upside down.Just imagine how many of their friends and families have lost everything.Although I agree that you should have been able to talk to someone else,this may have been one of those times that you needed to step back and really think about the big picture.Would you have demanded a room in New Orleans after the hurricane?This may very well be the biggest natural disaster they will ever see.Go check out the available pics at www.theleafchronicle.com.This only covers a small portion of a 2 county area that is upstream of Lake Barkley.Those waters will crest after Nashville.The water is flowing like the dam is not even there.I wish you many happy years together and imo,after you have time to think about it,you won't be as upset about the situation.Call them back after they get settled and I would bet they will make it right.I'm not in any way trying to offend you,just giving you my honest opinion.

Thanks for the feedback. Agree or disagree I appreciate some different points of view on this that is why I posted. This group is usually good about pointing out both sides of the issue. Thanks again.

I believe everyone in a postition to deal with the public should force themselves to be polite at all times, they were not. You should have had your options explained to you bettter.

On her side, there's no telling how many rude customers she had dealt with that day, possibly getting yelled at and cussed about the lake closure. I still don't think that excuses her attitude, but might explain it a little.

I agree with Velcro on this one, there isnt much more to say on that.

Now the other issue of your money. If you booked the room with a credit card a simple call to your card company may resolve that issue.

Big Bear Resort has no posted "non-refundable" policy on reservations that I coiuld find anywhere on their website... And, even if that were not he case... hmmm I would send them an email and politely ask for a refund as the entire purpose of the trip was frustarted by a natural disaster.

Bad day... sure, but they are a business and like it or not "ka-ka" happens and you better be ready to deal with it...

Commenting on the 'lake is full and closed' item, not the booking discussion.

A number of years ago when I previously lived in the DFW area (where I once again now live), it rained over 24" in a 3 week period. All the lakes here in N. Texas were closed. Many, many people were very upset and couldn't understand why.

Here's the best description and reason posted then, and probably applies now.

When there is that much 'rise' in the water, the new underwater hazards are not known or recognized at all. Case in point:

All of the picnic tables/areas that were at one time 'lakeside' are now underwater and in the lake. That, and in many cases the lake is so full that it has created 'washout conditions' on a lot of properties.

Just think about running around the lake on plane, and having either your boat or lower unit, find one of the many 'concrete picnic tables' that one finds at the lake acting now as an underwater hazard. Your perspective on 'safe boating lanes' changes completely when the lake rises as much as some of these have.

Tex

Call back and cancel. If they refuse, send a note by fax cancelling the reservation due to the closed lake. If they charge you, place it in dispute with the credit card company. Yes, they are losing a bunch of money over this, but I would not go either if I could not get out on the lake. There are poor customer service people everywhere. Just be polite and make clear statements and avoid threats.

It's very poor business to take someone's money and not deliver. It's different if you cause them loss, e.g., cancel on short notice, causing them to lose revenue by turning away others who might have used that facility they reserved for you. But that's not what happened here. In this case, they have nothing to sell, and they're making you buy it anyway. Wrong, wrong, wrong.

They are taking your money to underwrite their own loss in an unfortunate situation.

If you paid by credit card, you have every right to dispute the charge.