Just be friendly

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BJ Laster

Reaction score
Ok first of all this is more of a satire post and not being serious.

Today I went to pick my boat up from Bass Pro after having a couple of things fixed. When I went to pick it up they just said to pull around and hook it up. I did that. I noticed that one of the things I wanted fixed wasn't. They told my dad that they needed to order a part and that I could go ahead and take the boat. No one told me this. I went back in and told them what I saw. They then told me about ordering the part. I was fine with that. On further inspection I found a blown fuse..no prob they got a new one right away.

Heres my thing. When I pulled up to get the boat they were nice but their attitudes were more like "Oh here is an 18 year old with a boat, give it to him and he can be on his way." They weren't "friendly" or real nice until they understood they knew I knew what I was talking about.

BJ,

Respect, for the most part, has to be earned. When you went through some of your questioning and inspection, you were 'earning' their respect.

Also, if they had talked to your Dad (who they assume is paying for the repairs), that puts you in a secondary position. Let's face it. Not many 18 year olds have their own boat that they pay for. Not disrespectful on their part, but rather reflecting what they see/feel every day.

Part of the growing/learning experience.

Tex

True very true....but

1999-2001 I mowed yards and worked to save money to buy my skiff. When I went to the dealer in Texas it didn't matter how old I was. They treated me like I had 100,000 dollars to spend on a boat.

Gotta go be back in a little while to finish this.

Yes you are right, they saw a 17 year old kid picking up daddy's boat, but you showed them you had a clue and handled the situation like an adult.

Looking at this from another perspective you are picking up what I am guessing is technically your fathers boat since he is probably making the monthly boat and insurance payments on it as well. You expect the dealer to treat you like he would treat your father?

Sorry kiddo before you get the respect you think you deserve like Tex said you have to earn it first.

Cass :)

BOLOGNA!!!

I think if you're a customer in a place of business and you are there on business and not acting a fool then the people should treat you just like every other customer that walks in the door no matter how old, what sex, or color or anything else. You don't have to earn their respect...they are suppose to earn YOURS!

When I was in high school there was a men's store at the mall, Mr Bucks, that carried all the stuff that a dapper young man of the mid-sixties wanted to wear. I couldn't afford a lot but I did want a new madras shirt or wide wale courderoy pants every now and then. When ever one of my friends or I went it there they acted like we were a waste of their time. Eventually we all quit shopping there and going somewhere else. Long story short....Mr.Bucks ain't in business NO MORE! They folded sometime in the 70's. Wonder why?

I'm about to give you all of my money

And all I'm askin' in return, honey

Is to give me my propers

When you get home (just a, just a, just a, just a)

Yeah baby (just a, just a, just a, just a)

When you get home (just a little bit)

Yeah (just a little bit)

R-E-S-P-E-C-T

Find out what it means to me

R-E-S-P-E-C-T

Take care TCP

Harpo

Harpo, You are right but only in a perfect world and the world we live in things don't always work that way. I do understand how BJ feels because in my case as woman out shopping I expect the same respect as anyone else buying an item but it doesn't always work tat way and when it doesn't I take my money and business elsewhere.

As for a respect, regardless of a kid or adult, sorry I disagree, you have to earn respect and be able to give it before you can get it. He said that he wasn't treated poorly or that they were rude just that the guys weren

"They told my dad that they needed to order a part and that I could go ahead and take the boat. No one told me this. I went back in and told them what I saw. They then told me about ordering the part. I was fine with that. "

Question: How would they know (or be responsible) if your father told you about ordering a needed part, or not? If it's (boat/service ticket) in your Dad's name then I wouldn't expect them to go into great detail with whomever else is picking up the boat. (I can't begin to tell you how many people pick up service boats for their: boss, brother, sister, neighbor, friend without a tow vehicle, etc......) If the responsible party is informed, what else is there?

"Heres my thing. When I pulled up to get the boat they were nice but their attitudes were more like 'Oh here is an 18 year old with a boat, give it to him and he can be on his way.'"

Wow! From what you stated, unless other statements were made to you, I don't follow your logic in becoming upset. (Is it based on telepathy? LOL!) I try not to jump to any conclusions based on what my perception is or what any preconceived notions are. If they said or did anything unpleasant, you have more than enough reason to be upset. You stated that they were "nice". If your anger is based on a "gut feeling" or any other ESP based thought process, I'd say "check yourself, before you wreck yourself." Just my opinion. (Based on my perception! LOL!!!)

I'm sorry but I just don't get it. The dead presidents in BJ's pocket gives him all the respect that he needs. He's not there to make them like him they are there to make him like them. I've been a salesman since I was old enough to say, "would you like to take that with you, now?" I know that some sales people in places like boat dealerships and tackle stores can be a little haughty....why, I cannot fathom unless they have a wealthy spouse. I have never met BJ in person but I have got to know him through NTOWS and e-mails and I know the school he goes to and I know enough to believe he would not treat anybody disrespectfully. That's all he needs to do....he's the freaking customer for crying out loud. BJ, is a boat nut and I'm sure he vists every boat dealer in town. One of them will treat him right and they will be rewarded with a customer for life. I don't mean to rant but rude, haughty, disinterested service people are my main peeve.

BTW, Cass did ya notice I made an edit in my previous message in your honor.

Harpo

BJ, here's where you went wrong...

If you'd bought a (insert non-tracker marine brand boat), you wouldn't have to go back for service... bwahahaha

Yep, just messin' with ya.

I'm not convinced they were. Sounds like BJ was a little defensive. You can't cop an attitude with people who deal with John Q. Public all day. I'm not sure BJ gave them a chance to digest what he was saying. Dan's got it right, they were informing the name on the ticket (read: paying customer) what was going on. They were communicationg with the right party. That being said, they should have communicated with BJ after they 1. Saw that he knew what he was talking about and 2. was the owners son. Don't get a chip on your shoulder BJ because in todays environment, there's a lot of people with short fuses.

TOXIC

It just goes to show how several people can read the same thing and interpret entirely different viewpoints. ("rude, haughty, disinterested service people"?) The only people who know what type of treatment received is BJ and his dealer personnel. As we only have what's printed, and nothing there states that anyone was treated poorly other than a "feeling", I don't see how this is anything more than ESP gone wrong! (LOLOLOLOL!!!!!) The amount of money in anyone's pocket does not dictate the treatment they deserve. That's the beauty of a free country. You can spend your money whereever you want. If you don't like a dealer for whatever the reason, you can go to whomever you like. (However I would use caution with ESP as the basis for finding a "good dealer".) We are all human and deserve every benefit of the doubt. IMHO

Soonerfan, u are right on..... a customer is to be respected no matter how old, sex, age,money whatever.U DO NOT HAVE TO EARN IT it should be yours just buy walking in the door.I work retail i may deal with anyone from 3 years old and older it dose not matter guys they all the same.About kids not having money is bull most parents will buy something far thier kids and do without them selfs, so if u can catch a kids eye it is SOLD. Never underestamate the power of a kid.The Bass Pro thing is not just you BJ i got it to when i bought a new boat with my money not my daddies.I was even told "well its not the top of the line boat so what do u exspect." and i said "a new boat." but that a story i have told before.

WHOA WHOA WHOA...this has taken a turn for the worst....

WHERE DID CASS AND DAN J. MISS THE PART ABOUT THIS BEING A SATIRE.......

I AM NOT UPSET ABOUT ANYTHING!!!!

First of all with my dealer in Texas, everytime I have called them or seen them I have been treated like Royalty. It was the same way with Tracker Marine which is now the Bass Pro dealer they have just hired a few more people. I was treated just FINE when I went to pick up the boat. They gave me the keys to it and said I could go get it. When I checked it over there were things that hadn't been fixed. NO ONE told me that they had been ordered. I may not make all the payments (I help when I can) but this is MY boat...I would have taken the boat in myself but I had to be at school during the 9:00 appointment.

Here is a brief summary of how things went:

I go into Bass Pro to the service center

BJ-"I'm here to pick my 882 up"

Service guy-"is it the white and green one?"

BJ-"yes"

Service guy-"ok it is ready, just pull up around back and it will be ready"

BJ-"Ok thanks"

I pull around to the boat and check it over. I find my livewell cable under the console sticking out 2 feet from the side of the boat (well not the literal side but that space where it runs down the side of the boat.). This was one of the things that needed to be fixe so I went back in to ask why it was like that. The young man at the desk said he would get Travis (the man who worked on the boat). Travis came out and he seemed a little surprised to see a 18 year old getting the boat. We went out to the boat and he showed me that part he had to order and how I could do without it for a few days till the new one comes in. He hooked the boat up for me and explained everything else he did. During this time I asked a lot of questions about the technical side of things. It was then that He realized I knew what i was talking about (yes harpo is VERY right i am a boat NUT! and have been to A LOT of dealers just to look around...well not since i bought this boat). I then checked the wiring where I was having the fuse blow. I asked him what he did about it and he said nothing because he didn't find anything wrong with it. I then asked what might be causing the problem. He told me some different things and said if I had more problems to bring it in and he would order a new charger.

SO....I wasnt told about the cable when I first picked it up. What would you do if you went out to YOUR boat and what you wanted done wasn't done...no one told me that it was ordered. My service guy was extremely nice when we were out in the boat talking. It was the man at the service desk that just said to go get the boat.

My first impression was that the boat wasn't finished.

So now tell me what you would think if you take your boat in and you see parts laying in it and they don't tell you......

again I am not mad at all and am very pleased with how they handled it. still love the nitro boats.

Mike Snow----NEVER!!!!!!!!! LOL

And also i guess the title of this should be more like.....Be friendly or something...not really about being respectful because they were for the most part.

Honestly I couldnt tell you. Just a guess but probably my dads because he dropped the boat off. I called to schedule it. Last time I had it in for some minor things they had me sign a form when I picked it up. I didn't have to sign anything today I might when I get the part in a few days.

I'm treated by royalty when I call Nitro's customer service... Well, a royal pain in the tushy anyway :).

I think they Nitro has made some good changes. I have only called customer service once and they were nice on the phone. Like i have said before I love Nitros I only have good to say about the boats.

I haven't sold boats, but I've sold cars on occasion.....

BJ, you are a rarity.

I hated it when I'd see a 17-year old come on the lot..... First, they couldn't sign a contract. Second, 95+% were just there to kick the tires and ask "How much is this one? OK, how much is that one?" As a commissioned salesperson, that hurt my income. Even worse was when two kids would come on the lot; while one was talking to you, the other was stealing knobs off the controls.

While I agree that teenagers should be given respect - and I have always tried my best to do just that - please forgive us adults if we start with a bit of suspicion.

Staci... I hated women coming in during the day...

Most were stay-at-homers that it seems weren't allowed to make financial decisions. It almost seemed like their husbands told them to go look at cars or something :).

That's not anti-female... I'm just saying all I ever heard was "let me talk to my husband about this".

Yes, satire is how the post started out but it went on to exert true feelings about a situation which I saw no humor or irony, in truth is not satire but is sharing feelings about a situation. Your last post again reaffirmed Dan's comment about ESP with regard to your encounter with Travis. It started on the defensive and the rest of the event was down hill.

As for believing that anyone with money in their pocket gets respect, I do not agree. I don't care how much money someone has if I had a customer that was being a jerk money doesn't matter, I would ask someone else to deal with them or ask them to leave, respect is earned when given and this is not in reference to BJ. From what I have seen on this board he is a good boy, however, still a teenager that has life lessons to learn that will help him mature. BJ, don't take my "good boy" defensively remember I have a son who is turning 18 in 7 weeks and I am proud to be able to say he is a good boy too.

If my son had come to me with this story I would have told him exactly the same thing and told him to toughen up, always be on your best behavior and don

Cass, I added whatever sex a person is to the reply. Sorry I had forgotten that one.

I wasn't just talking about only BJ in my comments above but I suppose the public in general. Like I said as long as you're not "acting like a fool" and that means being rude, demanding, or dis-respectful to the salespeople at the place of business, you should be treated like the most important person in the world, because you are. You are providing that salesperson the opportunity to feed his/her family and buy the goodies of life. I simply do not agree with the comment that a customer at a store should have to "earn their respect".

In the past I have sold stereos, and sports cars. Both are items that attract a lot of teenagers. I guess because of my memories of Mr.Buck's, I always treated the kids like a "real" customer and you know what many of them became customers. Sure they had to go home and get daddy but many times they did and they bought a car from me because I treated them right. I once sold THREE Corvettes to one 18 year old in one summer after one of the other salesmen at the carlot waited on him and let him just "look around".

Harpo

Snowman -

Did you sell cars when you lived in St. Louis? Where at? At different times, I worked at Royal Gate Dodge, DiSalvo Jeep and Auto-something Nissan in Alton.

OK i'll jump in with a few comments:

Staci - That may be true for 95% but when I was 16 and DID have the $$5,000 saved up (just had to find the car, put a deposit and bring dad back) I got the SAME treatment for a LOT of car dealers. The one that got my CASH (back then a LOT MORE then some older folks could afford to spend) was the one who treated me like an adult, asked politely when they saw me if I was just looking or ready to buy.

Cass/Snow - My wife has been in the VERY same situtation and HATES it! SHE runs the checkbook and SHE buys what she wants, i'm just there in the end to put my signature on the title with her's so either one can sell it. Her first new Truck was a S10 in Houston, I went fishing and she went Truck shopping. The first dealer to treat her WELL got the deal, BUT I had to prove to her that they WERE treating her like a unexperienced shopper. She told me when I got there to just sign, I reviewed the paper work and found $800 worth of CRAP!! I told her we'd get it taken off, and she said "no the sales manager said they HAVE to charge that and i'm getting a great price" So i hard balled the dealer on the $800 ( a $25 starter interup switch they installed as an "alarm") and we settled on $100 (I saved $700). So we now go together and I let her do all the talking, and we talk off to the side so she can negotiate better.

But, there are times when it comes in handy! My wife and I look young (I used to at least) Back when we were in our late 20's looking at houses and new cars, we'd PURPOSEFULY dress in our jeans and t-shirts and drive the oldest of the 2 cars. MOST salesfolks did not EVEN approach us at car lots (we'd ask for a test drive and they'd hand us the keys, no annoying salesweasel in the back seat talking BS when I knew MORE about the car!!!) and realestate agents left us alone at open houses. Then when we were ready to buy we'd do the same thing, with car dealers we'd talk poor and then write them a check for the vehicle!!! LOL

Like I said, there are the 5-percenters.....

Butin Missouri, we could not even take a deposit from you; that constitutes entering into a contract.

Cass-You have a perception problem. What I don't like about computers is you cant see my attitude. I am NOT mad about anything. When Travis and I went out to the boat it was very pleasent like I said! When I said that this was a satire I didn't mean it in its normal definition. Satire is something that is not serious but it is to bring about change....first of all look at it this way:

If you were to rate their friendliness on a scale of 1 to 10. 1 NOT being rude but not nice if you know what I mean...neutral and 10 being they would role out red carpet for you to get your boat.

When I first went in it was a 3 or 4 "you can go get your boat its ready".

When Travis and I went out to the boat, AFTER I came in to ask why I had things that werent fixed, it became a 8 or 9. He was very good to work with. (I dont see where Cass can say it went downhill with Travis...he was great!).

AND nobody has answered my question.

IF YOU WERE TO HAVE YOUR BOAT IN THE SHOP FOR A COUPLE OF DAYS AND WENT TO PICK IT UP AND YOU WENT OUT TO YOUR BOAT AND WHAT YOU WANTED FIXED WASNT WOULD YOU GO BACK INSIDE TO ASK WHY IT WAS LIKE THAT?

Remember no one told me that the livewell control was disconnected so I coule use it till the new parts came in! I went back in to ask why it wasn't fixed! The young man at the desk then went to get Travis!!!!!! We went out to the boat and again Travis was extremely nice. It was just his first impression that I was some kid that didnt understand but that changed!

ONE MORE THING CASS! I WAS NOT BEING A JERK I WAS NOT DISRESPECTFUL AND I WAS NOT BEING DEFENSIVE! I ONLY ASKED WHY THE PARTS WEREN'T FIXED!!! PLEASE EXPLAIN TO ME HOW I WAS DEFENSIVE (THAT GOES FOR TOX TOO) I NEVER DEMANDED ANYTHING I ONLY ASKED WHY THE PARTS WEREN'T FIXED...NOW YOU CAN SAY I AM GETTING DEFINSIVE BUT THAT IS WITH SOME OF YA'LL :)

MAYBE ITS JUST BECAUSE CASS IS A RANGER OWNER....;)

BJ, you should never let a Cookie Monster from Michigan work on you boat.

Harpo

Whoa Whoa

I never said you were defensive. I was on you side through this whole discussion. Cut me a break there, Buuuuudy.

Harpo

Harpo-sorry about that I thought you said something about me being defensive......I apologize. I'll remove it right now!!!! Wait a sec...what do you mean you were on my side.....is that past tense? LOL

OH one more thing thats kinda funny...i just now get why you put cookie monster from michigan....his name is Travis too.....BJ's been a little slow on the jokes lately!!!

Cass may be a Ranger Owner.....

But she is a very NICE Ranger Owner!

I'd ride in her boat any day!

Young man, this horse has been beat enough and I refuse to be spoken to in that tone by any kid.

Also, I don't understand the Ranger owner comment, wink or nor wink, maybe Rob can explain it to me.

Cass

BBBWAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You better watch BJ.

After Cass whoops your butt,she will send you to bed without any dinner.........AND NO T.V. EITHER !!!!!!!!!!

again i think you are percieving this wrong.....i am not being disrespectful at all towards you and i was NOT speaking to you in any tone....its a freaking computer! If you were in the same room and you could see me and hear my tone I think you would understand more. I am sorry if you took that the wrong way.

The Ranger comment.....I am NOT into Rangers...I really do not like the boats. I know a few people with Rangers and we joke around about our boats. I always give Ranger owners a hard time when i can.....I was just saying that you made those comments because you were a Ranger owner and disliked me as the nitro owner....hint the wink meaning i was joking! Lighten up a little!

Cass, my Friend -

No need to take offence..... I can assure you that BJ means absolutely no harm and even less disrespect.

BJ is really quite the Gentleman!

I think it's kinda this age thing..... There is a slightly different way of expressing ourselves somethimes.

And, BJ, I do agree..... In spite of the opportunities the computer has given us to communicate..... Even with smiley faces/scowls..... Emotions are difficult, at best, to convey. Heck, they're difficult to convey face-to-face!

Rob, personal, offensive insult duly intended! (NOT!) LOL!! :) JK!

Now quit the jabberin' and get the video done!

I'll get the tape, envelopes, postage and "S&H charges" in the mail in the next couple of days!

me!

Apology accepted, you can come out of your room now. :)

On the Ranger comment I will make a little suggestion, before you go poking at someone about what they drive or own I suggest you make sure they will be receptive of the joke. I don't think that all Ranger owners are snobs nor do they appreciate the pokes when none have been made. I don't recall that I have been obnoxious about owning a Ranger or any brand of boat. I feel that would be rude and insensitive to crap on someone because of the kind of boat or vehicle they own, that's just not me.

Cass :)

Cass-Sorry about the Ranger comment too. I just like giving people a hard time about the boats......:) I also apologize if you thought I was calling you a snob....sry bout that :)

I can't believe I am going to say this..

r-r-ang-er mmmmakes a g-g-g-ood b-b-b-oat..

there i said it happy now??? :)

BJ

Can't we all just be friends?
casper.bmp

Latest posts

Back