Just 4 days left and the wife and I are off to the CLASSIC!

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kenny Lively

Reaction score
Going to see the Bassmasters Classic, anybody else going.

My wife and I are spending a week down around the "Big Easy"

going to take in all the sites and sounds of Cajun Country and the Classic. We have a nice cabin for a week about 1/2 way between Baton Rouge and New Orleans. Anybody got any suggestions on things to do, things not to do, places to eat and not eat. etc. Got a week to kill and nothing on the agenda except the classic weigh-ins and the tackle show. So bring on the suggestions. KENNY

I'll be there,..splitting my time between BPS and Ranger...

look me up!! I get in thursday pm and I'll be flying out monday...so I'll be there all day Fri-Sun!! Seeya there!!

Mac

Mac,

I'll sure look you up. will you have a name tag? Sponsor shirt? KENNY

I'll have a name tag on,...and I'll be surrounded by a pile of colored marker pens and anywhere from 2-20 people waiting for their rod handle graphics!!!..LOL.....just look for the fat, bald (and i mean SHAVED) guy with a goatee and a big 'ol grin!! That'll be me!!

Mac

Hey Kenny if you are looking for some things to do you can tour some of the Plantation Homes of Southern Louisiana. Alot of them are between Baton Rouge and New Orleans. That is a pretty cool thing to experience. And once you get into New Orleans there are tons of things to do during the day. Tour the French Quarter, Jaskson Square, and if you really get a wild hair go and hang out on Bourbon Street after the sun goes down. Plenty of sites to see there. Good food is almost around every corner. And don't forget to drink you a few Hurricanes at Pat O'Brians. There are some of the best you will ever drink. They have good food there as well. Also if you feel hungry for a fattening snack or breakfast when you get to New Orleans, be sure to go to Cafe Du Monde and get you some coffee and beignets. Man you talk about good.

That's funny, JimBob doesn't sound French....or Coonass!! I'll bet you even know what a Catahoola is! I know I spelled it wrong though.

TOXIC

Alias aren't suppose to give you away. Born in raised in South Louisiana. Now I live in Texas, so thats where the JimBob comes from.

We have one in our office named" Jimbobob"...fits him too.

TEE

Also for all you yankee's headed there this next weekend I hope you get your language translaters out, becuase it is a differnet breed of folks down there. We have our own way of talking thats for sure. And for all of you who don't know what a yankee is to somebody from South Louisiana anybody that lives north of Interstate I-10 is a Yankee. Just to give yall a heads up.

Mac, I'll be lookin' for ya.

Jimbob, thanks for the tips may look at some of them homes depends on how good those hurricanes are.

Ya'll keep em coming!

Also if you guys like to fish for Spec's and Red's that area is one of the best spots in the world. nothing fights like a good size red fish. It puts a small mouth bass to shame.

Uh Mac - You are NOT allowed to leave MI without sending my shirts!! LOL

Enjoy the classic everyone, I know meeting Mac last year was a highlight for me!!

Oh, it's after 3:30pm, time to go fishing!!!

Kenny,

Have a great time. Some things to consider . . .

The Zoo at New Orleans is very nice. It's been some years, but we really liked it.

Have to ride the St. Charles Cable cars (take them to the Zoo).

Do not eat the hot dogs in the vendor carts in the Quarter. Repeat - DO NOT.

If 'Mothers PoBoy's' is still there (can't imagine they wouldn't be), go there for lunch one day. It's a legend in and around N.O. for lunch. Great PoBoy's - made the way they are supposed to be. Not one of those subway sandwiches (though I like Subway).

Red beans and rice. Ummmmm, ummmm, good.

If you see a guy hawking fresh (wrapped) slices of cake, especially chocolate, on the street, buy one (or more) and try it. He's famous down there.

Try to go somewhere off the main drag and hear some great blues/jazz, while enjoying a brew.

By all means, as suggested, go on a Plantantion tour. Either a package, or a do it yourself trip.

You will be able to get the absolute best seafood you have ever eaten down there. Remember, creole cooking tends to be on the bland side, and tomato based - generally. Cajun food has the 'kick'.

During the day sometime, take a walking tour of one or more of the old above ground cemateries (sp?). Very, very interesting.

Have a great time. Wish I was going.

Tex

Just for you guys wondering about the above ground cemateries, its because the New Orleans area is below sea level. So after you get a few feet into the ground you hit water. Just a little info for people who where wondering.

kenny try to go to a local grocery store on front streetin the quarter next to the farmers market and river ,theres a

place called central market that makes a great homemade sub its called a muffolotta you wont be disapointed

a new orleans tradition

Ralph & Kacoo's Resteraunt is one of the best, give a try.

Just about any of the restraunts in the french quarter are good. If you see something that peaks your interest don't be afraid to give it a try. (restraunts in the quarter that is) Keep in mind that some of the best places to eat don't look all that great, remember its New Orleans.

Hit Bourbon St. at night and be ready to see some freaky stuff...its a lot of fun.

And don't (no matter how bad you need it) piss in the alleys! The police don't take to kindley to it and you will get thrown in jail with god knows what until they do the stupid paperwork. Happened to a friend of mine and he said it was the scariest thing he has ever experienced...and he is a pretty tough guy....LOL

It can be a lott of fun, but stay in the popular areas and when walking around take the busy streets. There are some scary areas not for from the main streets.

Drink a Hurricane for me, (the piano bar at Pat O's is a trip)

Lais a Le Bon Temps Roule, (let the good times role)

Wolf

Mac What time are you in ? I was there on monday, now in Shreveport, but will be in new Orleans on Thursday night....we should get toghether for a beer. I'll be leaving on Friday morning though, couln't plan the extra days.

Send me an e-mail. I also have some of that cooling equipment here with me, so we could probably meet some people.....now I'm thinking....If I could meet some people and show this stuff I might stick around....what do you think ?

Pierre

Pierre,..I arrive about 230pm on thursday,...will be staying at the Hyatt Regency. I would consider it "mandatory" that we hook up and take in a few sites thursday pm!! I have a meeting early friday morning with Hank Parker and some people from A-P, so I have to be a good boy thursday night!! LOL..We can grab dinner and a couple hurricane's though.......as everyone has said, it's pretty bizarre down there, but great food and music!! This will be my 4-5th trip to "Nawlin's" so I'm a seasoned veteran!!...Call me on my cell phone or at the Hyatt after 4pm,...that'll give me time to get from the airport to the Hotel and unpack, etc..etc..Mini may be there too, so the 3 of us can troll together....that'll be a story we'll never repeat!!..ahahahaaa...Seeya there!!!

Mac

Mac,

DAMN.....I just visited the Bassmasters site and realized that you are all talking NEXt Thursday.....I'm here now and will be back in Canada by then. Sorry, I miss understood the timing....I should have booked my trip next week!!!

Pierre

Thanks Mac, I'll have you room trashed pretty good by the time you get there.....Excuse me, I am Mr. McElroy and I have lost the key to my room, could you please issue me another?........Then I'm In!!

TOXIC

Pierre,..that blows!!! Would've been great if you were down there NEXT week!! Ohwell...we'll hook up soon...no problem!!

Tox,....I always travel under the alias "Scott Hammer"..if I were you,...I would NOT,..repeat,..NOT show up in New Orleans next week with any form of I.D....you are not really "welcome" there anymore after last year!!LOL...I'm waiting for my new I.D. to arrive for this years' adventures,.... I am going as: "F. Toxic Hammer & Assoc".

If you want to trash my room specifically,...ask for "Adam Murray" in the "Toxic Hammer" group. LOL

HAHAHAHA.........Ok I'm outmatched. It did work for me a a friends wedding. He SPECIFICALLY told the front desk not to let ANYONE in the room......hehehe. I trashed it ROYAL!!! I forgot his shoes on the Chandelier and they didn't burn too bad, maybe it was the 4lbs of uncooked rice I put in their suitcases.......stealing the sheets? Putting the mattress in the shower? Tying what underwear I left behind into knots.....and more and more....

You are safe for the moment Mac....remember that kisser post?

TOXIC

Oh well....I was getting excited that I could make the classic....maybe next time. I'm sure we'll meet up soon again, I need to travel 100 days a year now, so I'll be coming to a town near you!

Tox, I still owe you a night on the town, seing as I was sick when I stopped to visit. Why don't you plan a trip up here, we can fish go to Montreal and enjoy life....maybe even bring Lamoy with us and turn him into a man!!!! just kidding, I think he has enough Montreal stories as it is.

From Sheveport,

Pierre

No problem Pierre, you also give me a call when you are in town....every time you are in town!! You still need to experience the Potomac and some of the other waters (there are a lot not too far from me).

TOXIC

Back