2007 BassMasters Classic AGAIN at Lay Lake!

• Thread starter Michael Trepper [URL]http://Bassmaster.com/classic
  • Start date
Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrepMan

Reaction score
Just got the email from BASS. OK so someone in the industry tell me with ALL the bass lakes, options and cities, why is the Bassmasters going to the same place they've already been twice? I know nothing about Lay lake but I would have thought the idea was to A) take the BASS show to different cities each year to grow the "business" and interest, B) to challenge the pros' by doing different lakes each year and move it around the country and C) to showcase different lakes/towns??? Or is it all just back to good old fashioned capitalism and its which ever city bids the most $$ in tax breaks and extra kickbacks to BASS? Not that that would be bad, just don't understand it.

Bass fishing's preeminent event is making a return to Birmingham, Alabama's 12,000-acre Lay Lake, site of both the 1996 and 2002 Bassmaster Classics. Here are just some of the exciting details announced Tuesday:

What's at stake: In 2007 the CITGO Bassmaster Classic's field of 50 anglers will compete for a total prize purse of nearly $1.2 million, including a top prize of $500,000!

Weigh-in and Expo: The Classic ESPN Outdoors Expo and daily weigh-ins will be held at the Birmingham-Jefferson Convention Center.

Television coverage: ESPN2 is devoting nearly 12 hours of programming to the 2007 Classic.

Women's Championship: An exciting new element to Classic Week will be the debut of the first BASS women's championship. The top 12 anglers and co-anglers to emerge from the Mercury Marine Women's Bassmaster Tour presented by Triton Boats will fish a four-day championship on nearby Lake Mitchell on Feb. 22-25, with weigh-ins on the Classic stage at the Birmingham-Jefferson Convention Center.

Other championships: Events leading up to the CITGO Bassmaster Classic include the Junior Bassmaster World Championship (Feb. 18, Logan Martin Lake); the ESPN Outdoors Bassmaster Series presented by Advance Auto Parts Championship (Jan. 25-27, Lake Guntersville); and Federation Nation National Championship (Jan. 17-19, Neely Henry Lake).

Sorry Bama Steve - Didn't see your post before I hit enter!
http://Bassmaster.com/classic

Michael you plan on qualifying? You know you have glass boat now, you can sport the pro look, grow a goatee, you'd almost pass as a pro. You need to get a beer belly, get a Citco patch for yer shirt, and learn to talk like a pro though.

fatrap

You answered your own question Trep...it's ALL about the Benjamin$ with ESPN...

It's about the money for sure, but not only about the money. The folks who want to see fish far outnumber those who want to see the pros try to catch fish in tough environments [the lakes most of us fish]. Pittsburgh is an excellent example. Great crowds, but few fish. Pros don't want to be tested unless the fix is in.; and ESPN/BASS want the fix in place.

You pretty much summed up what I told them when they called to find out why I hadn't renewed my membership.

It's not about the competition anymore. It's all about ratings.(=money) The Classic isn't about being the best of the best, it's about making sure there are tons of fish caught for the cameras.

What got more coverage at the last one ? Luke Clausen or Ike's blowup ? Was there any mention of what Luke has accomplished in his fishing career ?

I guess some people like the new direction, but it's not for me.

Steve

Think about it though. How could they name Birmingham the Bass Capital and then have the next Classic somewhere else. It's almost like they didn't have a choice. :huh:

Because I assure you the fishing is better in Florida that it is in Birmingham in Feb.

Hey ask FLW why they are going back there again for their championship this summer. It is a great place to hold a weigh in and they get very good attendence. It is only 2 hours from me so the Grandson and I will be there for the FLW and the BASS Classic. Later<>< <>< <>< <>< Jack

Fatrap - I like my Nitro but the only way i'd go "pro" is if Tracker would sponsor me in an Avalanche with a 175 Opti!!! LOL

oops, my reply ended up on the wrong post.

Latest posts

Back