JonPski,Got a really tough Question for You

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chad Mitchell

Reaction score
I think you hit the nail on the head. Now for the hard part how can you tell if the fish are in a pre-spawn mood? Generally when do fish switch from winter mode to pre spawn, or are they the same?

thanks for all ya'll help

1fish

1fish, sounds like you had a tough one this weekend, and I know what you mean. I fished a tournament on Martin Creek, a power plant lake in NE Texas, this weekend and it was awful. The wind wouldn't let you go any where. Did manage to scrape up a couple of keepers but nothing else 11lbs/4 fish won it, no limits either. As for your question earlier, when bass stage, move up, "commit" to shallow water they usually won't go back unless it is an extended cold period where the water cools off for a long time. Most of our fronts in Texas are short lived this time of year, and it warms back up in a day or two. usually what happens is they just get real tight to cover and shut down the bite, and have a real small strike zone, maybe less than a foot which means you got to put the bait right in front of them and that takes a lot of luck and that still don't guarantee a bite. They'll do this until they are satisfied that things are settled down and the weather starts to level off and warm up again, a few days or so. The bass are probably in pre-spawn around most of "east" Texas right now, the water has been in the mid 50's to low 60's for a few weeks now. I know most of the tournaments around my area lakes in the past few weeks have been won on the upper/northern ends fishing fairly shallow less than 8 feet. KENNY

1fish

I put a reply to your previous post that covers a method I use to search for the spring bass. Not a guarantee but simply a method.

Bear

I think water temp and time of the year are key in determining pre spawn. Here in CT, The fish have really kicked the spawn into high gear around May 10. Every year, regardless of water temps this occurs. You need to realise also though that not all fish spawn at the same time. We've typically got fish spawning from late April till late June. I would imagine that down south you have the same thing, a spawn over a 2 to 3 month time period.

It has been my experience that typically the smaller males will be the first to move up to the shallows in big numbers. The fat females aren't to far away though. These fish instinctivley know they must eat and build their energy reserves for their coming task of preparing beds, courting a female, the spawn, then gaurding the nest for around 2 weeks. Generally, anytime prior to actually enticing a female to come to his bed, he's in feed mode. After he finds that female though, he's got nothing but love on his mind, and will usually only stike a bait out of defense.

Up north here we get ice, but within a week or two of the ice leaving the water warms to the low 40's. At this time you can find nice fish coming up shallow to sunbathe and eat something if it comes wandering by. They are still not in real hunting mode. But, as the water goes from 45 to 55 and with each degree of increase in the water temp., their activity level raises. I would guess to say that if your water had reached a low of 50 during the winter and is now 55 and trying to rise, you could bet that there are more and more fish moving shallow to eat and warm up.

To answer your question more precisley, I would say that pre spawn could be considered water temps from 55 to 65. Though, as I said earlier, I think time of year is important. In your area if the fish really get going with the spawn in mid March, I'd say you're into pre spawn right now. Listen to advice, pay attention to the little things around you on the water, take current weather into account, and I'm sure you'll do fine. Good luck.

Feel free to ask for more info.

Thanks for all yall's advice. I gonna try to get back on the lake if I can get a free weekend(no Honey do's). This is the first season with an actual bass boat where I can explore the lakes.

Another quick question: Should you fish the windblown side of a point this time of year? I had some success during the fall doing this caught mostly smallies

Windblown areas can be good, but at this time of the year I would stick to areas on the northern side of the lake. That's the area that would likely have the warmest water. If the windblown point you have in mind tends to be windy all spring and especially if it tends to muddy up, the bass may use it to feed at but they likely won't spawn there.

Latest posts

Back