Jeep Cherokee for Towing

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andrew Zuber

Reaction score
Greetings...

I'm "still" in the market for a new vehicle to tow my TV-18.

Has to be something that the "boss" can drive the kids around by day and dad can tow the boat with after work.

Well, I test drove a Jeep Cherokee yesterday. I'm considering the inline 4.0 liter 6 cylinder engine. Now, when I asked the dealer about a "factory towing" package, he stated that all the Cherokees come "ready to tow"...all I would have to do is put a hitch on it. All my experience (however limited) has always been that a factory "towing package" included things like a transmission cooler, heavy duty alternator, and maybe even a heavy duty battery, etc...

I generally fish every day the weather permits locally, and have several trips planned within a 300 mile radius.

How about it Jeep owners and others? Is this vehicle "ready to tow" as is???

thanks!!!

az

You'd be fine Bigdog,..........a "TrailBlazer" would be the ultimate whoop,...but a Cherokee will certainly pull your TV-18 without a problem!! And yes, your towing pkg will include the trans cooler, hvy duty batt, and turn signal flasher, alternator etc....etc...you're good to tow,..i mean good to go!!

Mac

I'm all for the Trailblazer or the GMC Envoy...

Haven't completely ruled them out, just finding it hard to swallow the extra $10K price tag!

That $10K could be my "upgrade" to a Nitro in the next couple years...

I know the Trailblazer comes "standard" with all the towing goodies...however, I was just a bit suspicious when the Jeep dealer said the Cherokee was "ready to tow" with nothing extra than the hitch...

az

Andy,

I have a Ford F-150 SupreCrew...It's the ultimate SUV in my opinion...Room for "six" full sized people...4X4 Off Road and Tow Package...My wife was skeptical at first...she now considers it the best vehicle we have ever owned...And, I think you will find it priced close to the Jeep.

Andy this may come as a shock but I thought I just upgraded from a NITRO to a TV-18 LOL

Andy...

I think the sales guy is messing with you about the the tow package...check out www.carsdirect.com You will get pricing and equipment info. BTW I bought through an "internet dealer" and saved $900 off what I was getting on the identical truck from my local dealer.

Andy - I read a great article in Trailerboats magazine about most of the newer SUV/Trucks ARE coming standard with the tow packages built in/on since so many folks are towing stuff, it was cheaper and easier on the assembly lines.

I went to the www.jeep.com site and notice the Cherokee is not on the site anymore, so I assume the Liberty did replace it. This is straight from the Jeep site:

DaimlerChrysler discontinued Jeep Cherokee production in 2001. Originally scheduled to end production in November 2000, we continued production in order to meet demand in the market place. While not easy, this decision was made due to changing market conditions.

So, if it's a 2001 you should get a heck of a deal on it. I'd check the manual in the glove box on towing capacity and mention of a tow package. I know my wife's old Honda Odyessy in the manual specified if towing over 2000lbs that the dealer installed package (cooler...) must be installed.

I'm sorry Trep, its a brand-new Grand Cherokee that we're looking at.

Just seems that if the factory has installed "heavy duty" parts for towing, that they would toot their own bell and list it on the sticker...

I appreciate all the feedback on this...

We're actually trading a mini-van in on the new vehicle...

My oldest now has his own vehicle so we only have a 10year old left to haul to soccer and school events.

If I'm getting it new, I'd just as soon have everything I need on it from the git-go...

az

I have a 1998 Pro-Team 175, I have towed it for the last 6 years with a 1996 Jeep Cherokee Sport with the inline 6 4.0 engine. When I bought it I was fishing from a canoe so didn't worry about a towing package. When I bought the PT-175 I added a Reece Class 3 hitch, and a transmission oil cooler. I live in Western North Carolina and haven't had any trouble with over-heating, etc. In fact, I hardly know the boat is back there as far as performance, acceleration, etc. I think Jeep made a mistake when they dropped the Cherokee from their product line. Well, got to run, heading for Bear Lake in Jackson County...

Andy -

I'm on my second Cherokee, 4WD, 4.0, automatic.....

The first was a 1992. I put 231,xxx miles on it including towing my Nitro 180 all over Missouri and several trips to Florida up and down the mountains in Georgia. All without a towing package and in overdrive. Never a hint of a problem! The worst thing that ever happened to it was the a/c compressor went out.

I now have a 1997 with 82,xxx miles equipped the same way. Love it! Don't know what I'm gonna do in a few years, once this one gets a quarter-mil on it since they've discontinued the model and motor.....

Buy it!

And, if you've got questions - ask!

me!

[email protected]

800-827-7695

I have a 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee with 4.7 V8. It did come with a factory towing package as an option. The towing package included hitch, all the plug & harness, transmission cooler, oil cooler, and a 3.73 rear end.

Years ago (90) I towed a 393 Ranger (19'3") w/Yahama 200 all around the country with the original Cherokee w/4.0 six. I put over 60K miles on it and never had a problem. On some uphills the max speed I could get was only about 40 and also had to allow a little extra room for passing. I think the 4.0 was one of the best engines made.

I replaced the Jeep with a Chevy Sport Truck with 5.7 V8 w/3.73 rear end, and it made a big difference in towing performance.

The Jeep I now have pulls about the same as my Chevy, but I would expect that because the hp & torque numbers are about the same. I'm towing a 882 which I'm guessing the total weight to be about 2800 - 3000 pounds. The Jeep has 42K miles and no problems.

I gave the Chevy to my son who now pulls his Ranger (361) with it. 140K miles and still going strong.

I believe that with any vehicle, the rear end ratio is very important to lessen the load on the engine and transmission. Yes, with the higher ratio (3.50 or above) you use a little more gas, but increase engine/transmission life greatly and performance is better.

Russ

Great info Russ and Scott...

I just looked through the Grand Cherokee "new-vehicle booklet"...there are no towing options (other than the hitch and wiring harness) for the 4.0 6cyl. The V-8 lists two towing options...a different rear-end gear and...hold onto your seat, this only really threw me: a heavy-duty power steering pump!!!

Nothing else in the book guys...

az

Yes, I forgot about the power steering pump. I guess I have one, but still haven't figured out why I need it.

Russ

Latest posts

Back