Trep & Randy - Jeep 5.7 Hemi

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teri C.

Reaction score
I have to admit I thought you guys were full of crap when you said you were getting 18 to 20 mpg with a Hemi. I had a 05 Hemi in a Jeep I used to have and I got like 13-15mpg.

I have a thing for Jeeps, always have. I know the reliability is iffy but it's what I wanted so I chose a Jeep over a Nissan Pathfinder. I bought a 2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland with every option and a Hemi. I bought it for trade in value and traded my FJ for what I paid for it last summer. The Jeep was traded for a Mercedes and all the service records were with it. 31,000 miles right now.

I was really worried about the Hemi gas mileage but I have been pleasantly surprised. I tend to drive fast but I have taken it easy (70-75 on interstate) the last 2 days. I reset the fuel average when I got on the highway last night and drove about 20 miles to my exit. Averaged just over 20mpg.

This morning I reset the fuel average when I left my driveway and drove to work (about 30 miles, 80% interstate). I averaged a little over 17mpg. That's about what my Toyota got with a V6 4.0.

I did look under the hood before I bought the Jeep and noticed the previous owner had installed an Airaid cold air intake and a Poweraid throttle body spacer. From what I've read, these help the engine perform more efficiently. Maybe that's why I am getting better mpg. Don't really know.

Any way, the Jeep has everything and the FJ had power windows as the best option. I had all those fancy SUV's and then went to one that had nothing. Needless to say, I am really appreciating what I have now and no more premium fuel! Hopefully it will remain reliable for me. I really can't afford to trade cars like I have been so this one is it for awhile.

It's a Jeep thing, you wouldn't understand. :cool:

That is great Teri. I am now sad to say that after a glorious 240k miles I no longer own the Durnago with the Hemi. A friend bought it for his 16 year old son. Besides the miles it is in mint condition.

Well I now own (I can hear Glenn turning over on his couch) a Dodge Nitro R/T. I have had it for two days and am getting just over 19 to a gallon total driving since I bought it (300+) miles. It has the 4.0 litre with the tow package and full everything. I will let everyone know how it does with the boat when I can get it out of the snow. That 19 mpg includes using the 4x4 for most of it with all this snow coming down!

Hope you have good luck with the Jeep Teri.

Randy!

Congrats Teri on getting the Jeep. I've always liked them too.

See ya in 6 months when you're looking for something else!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :p :rolleyes:

Boob, you want to put a wager on your smart mouth???? :rolleyes:

I'll give her 7mos.....or a recall...whatever comes first!!..BWAAHHAAAAAAAA!!!!

ok, put your money where your mouth is....I still love you guys!

OK Teri... I'll put my money where my mouth is. :lol:

$20 says that if you fill your tank and let the computer work until its time for a fill-up (Don't keep resetting it every couple of miles like you are doing), within 1 year of ownership you will NOT be seeing your current "17mpg". More like 14mpg.

Hold me to it everyone. If Teri is still seeing 17mpg or greater next year at this time, I'll send a crisp $20 her way and admit I was wrong.

If it's 14mpg or lower (and I want a picture of your dashboard readout with the needle on 1/4 tank or lower with the MPG readout displayed), then you admit I was right about the sucky gas mileage and send me a $20 so that I can afford to fill up my gas guzzling Ram. :lol::lol::lol:

How about it Teri? Care to put YOUR money where YOUR mouth is? :p

It won't matter anyway. I'll win this bet by default, because Teri's gonna sell off the Jeep in 6 months anyway. Her local DMV has 3 lines:

1)New Registrations

2)Renewals

3)Teri C.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

All the best,

Glenn

Teri,

I still love you too, I just like to razz ya!! :wub:

I hope the Jeep works out for you and you keep it for 100,000 miles!!! :D

I do too - I'm just messin' with ya. I hope you really enjoy it.

My wifes is so hesitant to get rid of her Jeep, even with the crappy gas mileage. It's still a really sharp looking truck that gets here where she needs to go in comfort (I like the heated leather seats). She goes back and forth - "I want a new truck", and then two days later it's, "Well, the Jeep is paid for... and it's really not that bad... and it's still in good condition... ". :lol:

All the best,

Glenn

The TN DMV is going to name a new branch office after her!!..."The Teri Cindric Office of Continuous New and Used Vehicle Registration":lol::rolleyes:

I am not betting on the gas mileage. I was betting on whether I would keep it 6 months.

Obviously, you guys are not going to the right dealers....mine do the DMV stuff for me. :p

Plus they know her on a first name basis. I bet when you drive on the lot the sales reps run towards your car to get the quick sale!!!!!!! :lol::lol:

Enjoy it Teri!

Randy!

Teri,

Of course they do. By now they are probably like family, aren't they? How many dealer reps come to your house for Thanksgiving dinner anyway? :lol:

All the best,

Glenn

( | )

In case you can't figure that out, above is my big ars mooning you!

That isn't what we thought it would be cracked up to be!!!!!!!! :lol::p:lol:

Enjoy it Teri!

Did you finalize what circuit or tourneys you are going to fish this year?

Randy!

Teri......next time you MOON someone...use an exclamation point....it's more accurate!:lol:

Welcome back:cool: Being a jeep owner I do understand.

Thank heavens for my wrangler, it is getting my wife through the DC snowstorm in fine fashion. She is taking my daughter skiing tomorrow.

TOXIC

Hey Teri - Welcome back to the land of "yup, its got a HEMI!!" LOL

Been overloaded at work, was in Amsterdam for 2 weeks till this past weekend, REALLY missed driving my Dodge (let along driving ANYTHING instead of riding in taxis!).

That Jeep will tow anything you buy in a bass boat! And yeah, like the other's i'll give you 7 months!! LOL

Glen - Don't know about the bigger vehicles, but at 44k miles on my Magnum i've checked my mileage by the computer and by the odometer, and unless I burn rubber at the stop lights, test the traction control on the curves (love the OFF button on the ESP!!) she'll keep getting that mileage.

Just wish I could get out with the boat, between work travel and family activities I don't think i'll get the Nitro out for 5 more weeks!

Man, if I mooned somebody over the internet it would look like:

Moon.jpg

Y'all must spend a lot of time at the gym.

2 full days in to a new tank of gas, 2.5 trips to work, haven't touched the average fuel button since I filled up. Still averaging over 17 mpg. Chrysler has definitely done something to better the fuel economy since I had the Hemi in 2005.

MDS - multi-displacement system

It shuts off 4 cylinders when cruising onthe highway....I though all HEMI owners knew of this. :)

That sounds a lot better than the Pathfinder deal you were working on. Good Luck with the Truck.

Mini, I know it has MDS technology. I find it interesting to watch the fuel display because it tells you when the MDS kicks in. It will display "Fuel Saver". The last hemi Jeep I had did not have this.

I believe the system came out in 2006, hence your doubt in the gas mileage. :)

Enjoy!

Latest posts

Back