Ignition not working

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rich D

Reaction score
Guys,

This weekend, I couldn't start the boat with the key. It is only a 25 hp, so pull starting wasn't a problem but I obviously want to get it fixed. It sounds like the starter isn't engaging. I turn the key and here something spinning, but it doesn't engage. How hard is it to fix on my own? I know Ed at Rt 8 would take care of me, but if I can do it myself easily and save a few bucks, I would prefer that. If it was my old jeep I could have just whacked it with a hammer a couple of times and been fine....

The battery is good, brand new and fully charged.

It was in neutral.

The kill switch was in the run position.

So, is this a diy job or up to a pro?

Rich D

Take off all your battery cables and clean the connections...I had the same problem this spring...the terminals did not 'look' bad at all...scuff 'em up with a wire brush and see if it fixes the problem...

az

Andy,

Battery is brand new, just replaced Wednesday. But I guess it couldn't hurt to try...

Thanks for the tips guys!

Rich D

Rich, I had a car one time that gave me fits with not starting. I bought a new battery that didn't help and was about to pay for a new starter when somebody suggested the battery cable. It wasn't coroded on the end but was up under the insulation. Replaced the cable and all was working fine.

Good Luck:)

Harpo

sounds like the bendix is not engageing lubricate for a quick fix replace for a more permanent fix, check around it should not be more than 50 bucks to replace and is an easy install

mike

had same problem with my pro 175. tightened the wing nuts on the battery terminals with pliars and thats all it took

Latest posts

Back