Electrical Problem - Possibly Ignition

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Welch Edward

Reaction score
Hello Everyone:

I recently purchased a 1999 Nitro 175 Sport with a 2000 Mercury 90HP 2 cycle motor. During the initial voyage I discovered a few issues that I need a little help solving. Given the age of this boat - I was expecting a few little problems. Although this is the first boat I've owned, I've spent a little time around boats so I'm not a complete novice nor am I anywhere near experienced.

Issues discovered during 1st time on the water:

1) When I turn the ignition to the "on" position - I sometimes hear a constant high-pitched noise (very loud) - NOT a constant interval noise as I've read other's describe that usually refers to an "oil alarm" of some type. Again, this only happens about half the time I turn the ignition to the "on" position. When I do hear this high pitched - continuous noise - the fuel gauge works and power is advanced to the depth finder. When I don't hear the high-pitched noise - the fuel gauge does not work and no power is advanced to the depth finder. Either way, when I go ahead and turn the ignition to start the motor - the noise quits, the fuel gauge stops working and no power is advanced to the depth finder. Anyone have any idea what could be happening with this? I don't know what should be normal in this situation.

2) Although the motor pumps a hard, steady stream of water from the outlet when running, the gauge shows water pressure to only be around 15. Looking at the gauge, it seems to be a little below the normal range. Anyone know if this gauge is usually accurate or what normal should be?

3) The motor starts and runs pretty well- especially at higher rpms. However, I do plan to change the plugs out soon. I purchased the NGK BUHW-2 spark plugs but I need to know what the gap should be?

4) After several hours of use - the trolling motor stopped working - and I looked down to see white smoke coming from the plug. I reached down and unplugged it - but it was very hot and partly melted. I've purchased a replacement plug (male and female). I've read this could have been caused be the plug being corroded and hoping this was the case.

5) The trim indicator is not working at all. I have no idea how to go about solving this.

6) The steering on the boat pulls very hard to the right. After some research, I discovered that I need to adjust the trim tab. So I've made a small adjustment but have not been back on the water to see how well it worked.

Other than these issues, I'm very pleased with the boat after the fist time on the water. I'm not a wealthy fellow so I would like to do much of the maintenance and repair myself. This website has already provided a wealth of information for me.

If anyone had any thoughts on how I can go about solving these issues I would greatly appreciate your input.

Sincerely,

Edward

Solved 2 of the issues myself today. The new trolling motor plug worked fine. Trolling motor works fine too. Unless the trolling motor is what caused the plug to burn up to begin with.

I also discovered that those spark plugs don't have regular gaps. :p

On number one, it sounds like a bad ignition switch to me, your gauges should definitely not quit working when it is started.

It looks like you are resolving these one at a time. If your pressure is around 15, it sounds good. If you do not know when the impeller has been changed last, it won't hurt to change it out.

The trim indicator has a sender unit on the motor. Could be the sender or the guage or even a wire problem. Mine has never worked and to be honest with some seat time in your boat you will not need it. If you insist on it working, check for power to the indicator guage first. Then I would put a multimeter to the guage while trimming the motor and see if the resistance readings change. If they do and you have power it is most likely the guage itself.:)

Latest posts

Back