Ignition key broke off...

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian Feist

Reaction score
Today during a tournament, I bumped into my igntion and the key brok off. I am able to turn the ignition on/off with what is left of the key but it needs fixed. It seems to be broken off a little too far to get at with pliers or other small tools. If anyone has dealt with this before, is it easier to rip apart the ignition assembly or just get another one. I recall someone posting about having to buy a new ignition switch. Does anyone know what they cost?

Brian, is there enough sticking out that you could sucessfully super-glue or solder something like a copper wire on to give you something to pull? Careful, wouldn't want to permently stick the stub down in there.

Harpo

you can use a small sbaer saw blade and slide it along the side of the broken key and pull it out or us it to grip the top of the broken key and pull it out

Brian,

You can also try an old locksmith trick... Along the "toothed" edge of the key... you might be able to slide a straightened paper clip with a small 1/32nd" "L" bent onto the end all the way down the keyway... If it goes in any distance you might be able to turn it over so that the point of the "L" points down and then pull it and the broken off key out... I hope this was "understandable"...

Brian, I just purchased an ignition switch from BPS Auburn Hills. Call Kathy Roberts at 248-333-0997 with your hull number and she'll take care of you. Mine with shipping was around $29.

You could also remove the switch and take it to a locksmith. They should be able to get it out and not charge much.

Good luck

you might try "Fun Tack". It is a tacky putty (hence the name) that is used to put up posters and the like on walls without making holes. It works very well. The warmer it is the tackier it gets. Buy it in the office/school supply section of Hellmart/K-mart/etc. Take a hunk and push it into the key slot then slowly pull it out. The "fun tack" WILL NOT stay in the slot so long as you have not warmed it up to the consistency of bread dough (normal room temp should do). Worked for me.

Whoa... I've got one for a 99 911 at home.. I think. I should have it anyway unless I tossed it during my last cleanup. I can't check until tomorrow night. Email me if you're interesed -- [email protected].

Mike,

I sent you an e-mail. For the rest of you, will a igntion switch from a 911 turn my PT175 into "glass"?

Latest posts

Back