Ideas, way early but gotta start somewhere!!

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrepMan

Reaction score
OK Found out my Sister-n-law does NOT want to sell us back the Minivan when we move back later this year, she loves being a soccermom with a minivan!!

So... Probably won't be till early fall, but Trep's planning on a truck! Need input, suggestions, what to look out for... And yes i KNOW Mac's gonna push a Chevy!!! LOL Here are my thoughts/specs so far:

Used, probably talking $15 - 20k cash

4 full doors (gotta take the kids to the lake ya know!)

Minimum tow rating 3500lbs max probably 5000lbs, as the 700lx Nitro is not an issue, but i'm planning on keeping this truck for a LONG time, and IF I want a larger boat (say a 911 250xb...!!!) don't want a new truck for it!

Decent gas mileage. I know, a mid-sized V6 gets about the same as a full-sized V8. Won't be using it much, hope to get back to working at home in the states, and only use it for weekends, hitting Home Depot (Dan N. and Ron, that will be like 2 MILES when I get home!!! LOL), and the like...

She'll be an auto unfortunetly, for the weekends when we take the kids to the lake so Beka can drop us in and pull us out. So I know all the trucks come in Auto's but has anyone had good or bad experience with the tranny's??

Reliable!

I know, I know, i've listed EVERY V6 and V8 pickup on the market!! LOL The last 2 trucks we had (OK they were Beka's but she let me use them on the weekends!! LOL) Were a '92 Chevy S10 Extended Cab 4.3ltr V6 - Great little truck, never a problem great reliability and the 4.3 was a great motor! Then a '96 Dodge Ram Club Cab 5.9ltr V8. HUGE truck, great ride, but had problems with the electrical system twice in the first 9 months, and ate gas like Mini eats hooters wings!!! LOL

So, hit me with your best shot!! LOL

Trep

I am in the same boat right now. I have driven Fords in the past, but you just cannot beat a Chevy. They have the best gas mileage for a full size truck with a V8, better ride, easier to work on (my old man is an auto tech), and have better resale. for a full 4 doors in chevy you have to look at 04 or newer (that is when they started making them) but there are many good deals out there right now. Check Craigslist. Also, be sure to get a V8. I think chevy's best engine is their 5.3 liter. you will have plenty of power (even for a 911;)) and still get decent mileage. A v6 is not enough and even the small v8 (4.8 liter) will work hard. I am pulling a 901 with a 4.6 liter in a ford and it works it pretty hard. my .02

Just remember Trep--your boys are going to get bigger so cramming them into the "extension" will be cruel and unusual. Think Ford and think Super Crew [or if you just want to be wrong, think GMC or Chevy]. I have a phobia against Dodge, probably an unreasonable feeling that they still get extremely poor gas mileage. I've had no problems with my automatic transmission and lose no gas mileage when I hook my 750 to the back of my FISO. Unless you ask a truck to do too much, like asking a S-10 size truck to haul a Z-9 around, you shouldn't have a problem either. Having the right tool to do the job applies here.

ps: As a buyer, you won't want a truck that commands an unreasonably higher price and since you want to keep it forever, resale price is not an issue--and "forever" means only one thing--Ford FISO [:lol:].

Get what you like. Since you're gonna have it for a while. In my area resale is more of how many miles and what year rather than Ford or Chevy. Unless YOU plan on working on it who cares how easy it is to work on.

I like em both.

fatrap

I didn't register all the details... But, doesn't the new GM truck have a 4-6-8 engine... that might make it the over the top mileage champ.

used.... F-150 5.4 Supercrew... my 2001 has 180 000 miles and no problems beyond mainrenance yet... oh, 2 $115 coil packs at 140,000. GREAT truck. Forever...does mean Ford F-150.

also have a 1998Dakota 4X4 v-8 also a good truck 2nd Dakota.. but my F-150 gets better mileage Ford has 3.55 rear end and the Dakota has a 3.5 so that's not the difference.

none of my friends who have/tried the Colorado have been happy... weak. Full size Dodge has mileage issues...but great truck with a lifetime warranty.

I wush GM built the Colorado with the Envoy inline 6. That could be a great truck in a 4dr. But just a dream.

Good luck.

Trep,

I agree with fatrap. Instead of making it a Ford vs Chevy vs whoever..... debate look at everything and buy the one YOU like. From what you describe you really are looking for full sized truck with a crew cab. The good nrws is you have a lot of choices out there. Every brand has its pros and cons you jsut need to weigh them and see what works for you( for my money its Chevy). Dont fall for the japanese are more reliable myth either. They are fine trucks but really no better then anything built here.

Greg, your right about the new Chevy's they do have the multi displacement motors in them and it sure does help the mileage. A friend of mine( a long time Ford guy) just got himself a new 1500 Silverado last year and his milage is pretty good with it. He has the 5.3 and 3.73 gears in a 4x4 truck and he gets ~21 freeway out of it. The old non multi displacement 5.3's were no slough in the milage dpt anyway. My 06 Silvy 5.3 4x4 gets about the same as his does both city and freeway, the only difference being mine has 3.42 gears in it and that helps the milage. Id think if we had the same gears id be at least 2.3 mpg less then him.

As far as the colorado goes they have made some imporvments for sure on that truck. The new ones the motor is much sronger then the original ones. the I5 makes like 240 hp and 240 lb/ft of torque. I drove one yesterday while i was out test driving trucks with my brother in law and it seems plenty peppy( the last one i drove 4 years ago was a dog). My brother in law did end up buying a truck but it wasnt a colorado, he got a 08 silvy ltz. Its a sweet truck :wub:

Trep - give it a rest. Once you get back, then go buy a truck. You can't start shopping for a USED truck, 6 months in advance while living in China!

Plenty on the market here in E. Texas, so I'm guessing the same in the Atlanta area as well.

Let's see. Must seat the whole family; get great gas mileage; be able to tow the Queen Mary up the side of a mountain; and by the way - must be in-expensive!

Well, at least you have a goal! :wacko:

Tex

Yea I know Tex, but I was on a late nite call with the US, bored on the phone, and looking online at pickups now that SisterSue isn't returning the minivan!! LOL

Yup needs a Crew Cab/QuadCab what ever but 4 real doors. We rented a F150 Super Crew when we moved and the kids loved it, HUGE, carried everything, I do love Ford interiors (Sorry Mac Daddy, not a fan of the last few year Chevy interiors), and loved the dodge but yes i'll have to find something that works and is available.

But, if you guys have had any problems with trannys, electrical... on a 2003-2007 pickup let me know.

Trep

Agree, it shouldn't be a Ford/Chevy/whatever brand thing, but what you want.

F-150 5.4 Supercrew... my 2001 has 180 000 miles

My '01 SuperCrew just went over 85k, and it's still going strong! :)

AAhh,....never mind,....:eek::rolleyes:....have fun shoppin' around....I'll stay outa this one!!;)

Trep,

Just man up and get a station wagon like mine. There are deals on them everywhere and it does most of everything you need it to do.

You can get a Denali with low miles in your price range (w/rear air, DVD, third seat, sunroof, etc.)

Mini

Good point on the "wagon" Mini.

Trep: FYI, a stock trailer for that 700 will disappear behind the tail end of a manly FISO. Now, I don't know for sure, but I've always thought you were a bit shorter than me [5' 11"]. If so, it will exacerbate the visibility problem. Can't speak to those other hay haulers, but I would think the same situation would reveal itself. I did not have that problem when I was towing my boat with my Explorer.

Marty makes a really good point to consider. Since your 700 is narrower than the 'big rigs', going to potentially be harder to see it while backing. Just keep that in mind, or go get you an 'Aircraft Carrier' when you get back!

Tex

It is mildly amusing some times as I watch my backseaters try to negotiate a ramp. They'll be coming straight down, realize they can't see the trailer, adjust so that they can, and find the trailer all akimbo!! :lol::lol::lol: Except when they come close to hitting something, then it's all about - STOP!!!!!!

My F250 Powerstroke is over 115,000 needed a cam sensor and a starter. My brothers 1500 GMC 168,000 no powertrain issues but the AC sucks, Dad's Dodge still going strong at 88,000 hasn't had a wrench touched to it. See what I'm getting at?

fatrap

That it doesn't matter what make one buys?

Dodge is better?

You screwed up two things while your brother messed up one?

Your dad doesn't let you two drive his truck?

LOL

My GMC is pushing 140K miles and has now known powertrain issues whatsoever. The AC is like a meat locker and is still considered a station wagon :)

Mini - You are too funny, had to read a few times to get the "wagon" I was thinking Dodge Magnum Hemi, its rated to 3800lbs !! LOL A red Magnum towing my red Nitro!!

I'll look at the SUVs but having had a '87 Chevy s10 Blazer (loved that with the 4.3) but i'd realy like the truck bed for hauling stuff around the house too. I have a 4x8 trailer but would love to get rid of it and get more space in the garage!! Just gotta see what's available and priced right!!

Good point Marty and Tex, I do remember towing my 14ft Jonboat behind Beka's '96 Dodge Ram club cab, and did have a heck of a time backing it down especialy when the boat was off the trailer!

Trep

You can always drop the tail gate when backing up. Personally if it where me I would go the SUV route and keep the trailer for hauling. Sears sells 4x8 trailers that fold up to fit in your garage if you want to keep space down.

Donnie

You're recommending that Trep "buy" something else? :lol::lol: Trep is hoping that this thread will cause one of us to give him our manly tow vehicles or sell it to him at a significantly reduced rate. :wacko:

Trep: By the time you return you ought to be able to get a steal on what you want. Why, I just saw ads in the KC Star for Chebbie Silverados at @ $27K new.

I also recommend contacting the rental agency you rented the FISO from and see if you can buy that cheap.

FWIW - My 97' Suburban was gifted to the FIL in '98 after one season of towing and 72k on the odometer. He has had the battery replaced and added 140K+ miles to it. Other than regular maintenance, it's ran like a top. They're retired and go to AZ, CA, WA, New Foundland, Montreal, GA (all too oftenLOL!!), FL......while living in Chicago. In my book, I'd say that was a good truck. A 1997 Chevy Suburban K1500 4WD, with a 350 four bolt. The best powerplant to wear a bowtie! IMHO

Dan are correct Dan. I was leary of getting a 5.3 cause I loved my 1997 4 bolt 350 (but I rolled the darn thing!)

So far so good!

I've driven a couple of trucks/rigs that you couldn't drop the tailgate down on - and still be able to manuver the trailer. Sometimes the wheels/cranks/other items on the tounge of the trailer get in the way.

Lot's to consider.

Trep - New Ranger towed by a new Hummer (full size of course). You know, like that one we saw in GA a few years ago.

Use all that IBM Bonus you'll be getting. :cool:

Tex

Thanks gang - Maybe its been driving a Minivan for 10 years as a tow vehicle with a stationwagon in between, i'm getting the testosterone for a truck!! LOL

Marty hit the nail on the head, all y'all drive those used trucks and keep them in good shape and make me a deal late this year!!!

Tex - Yup remember I think it was Hartwell we saw the H2 and the ranger, i'd rather a H2 and a Nitro 911!!!

I'll just be happy to be back into my Nitro and drive and fish!!

Since you've become Chinese Trepper, I can zen-meld with your thinking like a brother!

All I can say is that when you return from China (1) you will be able to buy a great truck for $20K or less [regardless of make] and (2) it won't be my FISO.

By the time you get back, I will have probably bought and sold 3 trucks. :D

So far, I'm lovin' my 5.3 motor. It's getting an average of around 16.9 mpg running around town.... combined freeway and street driving and over 20 on long highway runs. That's around the same mpg that my 6 cyl Jeep GC was getting. It also gets around 14 towing my boat. The Jeep never got that kind of milage when towing. I also don't have to worry about blowing out the transmission with the increased weight of the 591 over the Tracker. I really don't see how you ever pulled your Nitro with a front wheel drive mini-van. That transaxle had to be screaming for mercy.

Latest posts

Back