Hummingbird 1198c

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Anybody have any experience with this unit? I'm looking to upgrade but not sure what I want. The more I read the more confused I get. I know I want down and side scan anyone have any thoughts on what's the best ? User friendly would be nice too.

I sort of have some experience with the 1198c SI, I have two of them: one on the console and one on the bow. I've been using Side Imaging for several years.

There no comparson between SI and DI, it's all about the coverage SI has.

Easy to use, understanding what the units shows is a learning process.

If you would like individual help, send me an email to [email protected]

Brandon, Wayne is way ahead of me and has helped me numerous times. I am currently running a 998 on the console and a 997 on the front. I want an 1198, but it will have to wait and see.

Tons of great info on the web on the Humminbird SI units, look for them on Youtube.

Yea i've looked at so much info I dont know what to do. Due to the cost of the dang things i'm only gonna get 1 right now and mount it on a gimble so I can see it from the seat or the front. I was just wondering what everyone's opinion of them were. Im liking the humming bird, but Lowrance has some nice units out there too. I was trying to get some opinions on which one is best before dropping that kind of money.

Brandon,

Ditto what E5Zero said. Wayne is the man.

I had the same issues I think you are having. I ended up with the HB because,

1.) All inclusive purchase. Unless things have changed from a year ago this past fall, the HB units are sold with head unit, GPS antenna, transducer, power cord, and bracket for trans and head unit. Lowrance, on the other hand, has an additional module for structure scan (SI). By the time you purchase that you're up to "in the ballpark" on price comparison.

2.) HB is pretty much "plug and play". You will have to spend time learning the features, but installation is pretty easy (hardest part is locating the tranducer for optimal return; my opimion).

Brandon,

Ditto what E5Zero said. Wayne is the man.

I had the same issues I think you are having. I ended up with the HB because,

1.) All inclusive purchase. Unless things have changed from a year ago this past fall, the HB units are sold with head unit, GPS antenna, transducer, power cord, and bracket for trans and head unit. Lowrance, on the other hand, has an additional module for structure scan (SI). By the time you purchase that you're up to "in the ballpark" on price comparison.

2.) HB is pretty much "plug and play". You will have to spend time learning the features, but installation is pretty easy (hardest part is locating the tranducer for optimal return; my opimion).

I've had my 1198 for a few years and haven't had any problems. You will wonder how you lived without the SI. I have a 596 on the bow that I had a few problems with, but a quick call to HB resolved them. HB has the best customer service I have dealt with in a LONG time.

Latest posts

Back