humminbird

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wayne gill

Reaction score
BOUGHT A 2002 NX750 WITH A HUMMINGBIRD 161

THE NAV-TEMP.-SPEED WORKED GREAT.THE DEPTH

SHOWN ONLY 2.3 IN THE MIDDLE OF CUMBERLAND RIVER

HOW DO YOU TELL THE DIFFERNCE BETWEEN A BAD UNIT OR A BAD TRANSDUCER?

:unsure:

First thing I would do is clean your transducer. I am not sure what is recomended but I have always used a diluted soap/water mix and wiped with my hand. Do you have this wired to your cranking or deep cycle battery? I have seem units go wonky from noise interference off of running at the same time and battery as the TM.

If this does not work find somebody with a compatible transducer and try there's.

Good luck

Dish soap and water will work fine and you could use a soft bristle brush to clean it with if you want to get it really clean.

Without some expensive test equipment; the best way to know where the problem is would be to test your unit on someone else's boat as Seabass stated above. Just about any Humminbird unit will work to test the sonar of the 161 as almost all use the same 200kHz 2D sonar.

Where is the transducer installed? Is it inside-the-hull? If so, try pouring a few gallons of water inside the hull (may have to disable the bilge pump to test this) and see if the unit starts reading correctly.

Greg Walters at Humminbird

the transducter is on the inside-the-hull. will put some water in the hull and try that. thank both for the info. :D

Latest posts

Back