Fuel Line Rant

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott Hammer TOXIC

Reaction score
How hard can it be to put on a new fuel line right? Well, let me tell you it's the smallest jobs that end up being the biggest PIA!! While in Wisconsin this year, I tilted my motor up to drain the water out (like I do every time I get out of the water) and somehow managed to pinch my fuel line in the splashwell and put a small hole in it (between the bulb and the motor). At the time, the best fix was duct tape and went on to Michigan to fish with Mac. I've been putting off fixing it but it started leaking again so while I was at Bass Pro doing the grand opening I thought I would pick up a new bulb and the section of new hose that goes from the bulb to the motor. Problem #1, the parts department at BPS needs to get up to speed!! The teenager at the counter "couldn't find it on the computer" so he was lost:huh:. So the "Parts Manager" comes out and gets snotty with him and says to just use the "picture" and zoom in on the fuel line. So he does and guess what...no part #. Parts Manager tells me that since it comes with the boat it's not listed????:huh:???? I scratch my head and tell him everything originally comes with a boat and this is a normal replacement item:wacko:. He disappears into the back and comes out with a bag and tells me that he "guarantees" me this is what I need and disappears back into the shop. The bag has the bulb, line, and a metal snap connector....WTF:angry:?!!?!?! I look at the kid and tell him this is the fuel line for a portable tank not a permanent connection. He proceeds to tell me that I could just cut the connector off. I tell him, no I'm not cutting it and I want the right part. So he now disappears into the shop and out he comes with one of the "Mechanics" who takes one look at the bag and tells me this is not the right bulb and line for a 225 (remember the guarantee!!) and that it's too small of line for a 225. He now disappears into the parts room and comes out and says that there is nothing back there that will work. We walk out to the retail shelf and he pulls a "universal" bulb and line (bigger diameter) off the shelf and tells me this is the best option. I told him I only need the section to the motor and the bulb. He told me that if that section was weak enough to break then the other was probably just as weak and that I should replace both. That made sense to me so I bought it.

Whew....so now I'm ready to tear into the job thinking it'll be easy from here on out. Lift the rear lid and right there on top is the connection held on by a SS hose clamp...easy enough. I take the clamp off and of course the hose has welded itself on to the fitting. Having bad thoughts in my head about breaking the fitting if I try to work the hose off, I get out the old exacto and slice the hose the length of the fitting but it still won't budge sooooooo, time to put some muscle into it (I didn't want to pry it with a screwdriver for fear of snapping the fitting). Of course it lets go and I slam my hand into the underside fiberglass edge of the deck putting 2 cuts deep into my hand. Well, glad that's outta the way cause we all know anytime you wrench on anything yer gonna see blood!!:lol:...at least for me anyway. Pull the hose out of the through-hull and feed the new one in making sure the flow arrow is in the right direction. I notice that the new hose has 1/2 the insulation coating around the actual tube which makes it look a lot smaller than the old one. I eyeball the hose and as near as I can tell it is just a tad smaller, nightmares of fuel starvation and a blown motor dancing in my head!!:lol: Now I find out that the section from the bulb to the tank is not long enough to reach from the outside to the tank....the bulb hits at the through-hull spot. After looking at it, it appears to have enough extra from the bulb to the motorfor me to put the bulb in the rear between the tank and the hull. Not a bad option in my mind since it will keep the bulb outta the sun. Tank<

When you do this again (or have to repair/replace what you've got) get a quality 5/8" barbed fuel bulb (Merc has the thickest rubber walled bulb I've used) and about 6' of AUTOMOTIVE black braided core rubber(ized) fuel line. (The stuff that's sold by the foot on a roll at NAPA and other regular parts stores.) The auto rubber fuel line is much better and higher quality than required of "marine grade" and much les "kink-able". Get a double male 5/8" spurred brass fuel connector. Use your existing or get 1" SS hose clamps and re-install, once and for all.

Just a tip: The open end of most quick-change tip screwdrivers is the same size as the nut head of hoseclamps. Makes the job much easier without slips and hose/finger cuts. ;)

Hate to hear it was such a burden. Better luck next go around!! :D

Hey Tox, great "knuckle buster" story,:lol: enjoyed the write-up. Time to go fishin!

JP

exactly why I will not change a burned out light bulb in the kitchen...........by the time I'm done.....I will have another 3,000 sq.ft addition and 20,000 additional DEBT!!:huh:

I'll buy the wife a flashlight instead!!:rolleyes:;) (I'm so glad she never reads this board!!):rolleyes:

Tox - Anytime you can make it this way, bring your chores with you. We'll knock 'em out and hit the pond jiffy quick! Spent most of last week on Lake Oconee and slaughtered 'em!! I had to take today off to re-rig for Lanier and take a break. The fishing is off the hook down here in the Fall!! :wub:

Latest posts

Back