Humminbird 597ci hd losing depth reading

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Justin Bowling

Reaction score
I've seen a couple of similar posts, but didn't see any resolution, so I thought I would post my specific issue to see if anyone can help. I have a brand new HB 597ci hd that loses its depth reading after 21-22 mph. I've tried the transducer in a level position and tilted down 1 - 2 clicks as well. I've also messed with the sensitivity and other settings trying to get it to work, but haven't had much luck in getting a dept reading at a higher speed. Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Justin,

What type and model boat do you have? If it is a fiberglass boat than you should look at possibly mounting the transducer inside-the-hull. If aluminum than you need to try and find the area of you hull that has the least disturbed water flowing off of it. Make sure that the transducer is not mounted behind any rivets or other hull projections. Typically the lower and farther away from the hull; the better your chances are for a high-speed depth reading with an aluminum boat hull.

Greg Walters at Humminbird

Greg - I just saw this post and had a similar issue right after I did a software upgrade. At first, I thought I hit something with my transducer (it is a trolling motor mount) and this is what caused the problem. I purchased a brand new transducer and am still having the same issue.

I have a 947C and the version of the software is 4.750.

I don't have the problem with my 987C. Any help would be appreciated. I just fished my last tournament this weekend and was blind in terms of my front GPS (947C) and left it on so I could see the time.

Could this have anything to do with the software upgrade? I love Humminbird and hope this can be resolved quickly and painlessly (no huge outlay of $money).

Thanks, Bill, the MadKayaker

Thanks Greg. I do have an aluminum boat with an all welded hull, so no rivets, but I'm going to lower the transducer about 1/2 inch to see if that helps in any way. If not, I will lower it another 1/2 inch or so and see what affect that might have. If it is still having issues, I will then look to relocate the transducer to a new location that may have less disturbance from the boat. I will have a chance to test it this weekend, so I'll let you know how things turn out.

Thanks again for the help / suggestions.

Justin

Bill,

It could have something to do with the software upgrade as the Engineers are constantly tweaking the software for this and other functions. Yours is a different problem than Justin

Latest posts

Back