Humminbird 383c isssues reading depth

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jay K

Reaction score
Hi Humminbird Greg or anyone else that can help.

I've got a 383C portable I bought in 2009. No SD card slot. I installed it on my Nitro a couple years ago, and I'm pretty happy with it.

This summer it started reading depth very erraticly in the nitro. I hooked it up to the portable transducer, and had the same problems. It seems to be reading temp and speed just fine, but it's readings go from 2 feet to 14 feet for no reason.

Any ideas? I checked the unit and it does not seem to be damaged in any way.

Thanks!

My buddy had a similar problem with his 788; wouldn't read under 8 ft.. He had to send it in. Hope you don't have to do that. Good news is that (like others I've read about)the turnaround was one day.:)

Jay K,

Are you saying that you have tried your 383c unit on two different transducers? If so, than I'm guessing that the problem is in the unit itself and would need to be sent in to be repaired. Call The Humminbird Customer Resource folks at 8:00 AM sharp (Central time) on Monday morning at 1-800-633-1468 to set this up. They get real busy after about 8:15 on Mondays.

The only other cause would be low power getting to the unit. You did not mention if the unit was powered off the boat battery when on your Nitro though I suspect it was.

Greg Walters at Humminbird

Thanks for the quick replies guys!

Yeah Greg, two different transducers. One was the portable transducer that came with the unit, and the other trainsducer was the one I installed in the nitro.

When I used the portable, it was powered wih the portable battery. When I had it in the nitro, it was powered with the boat battery. Sadly, both were fully charged.

I was afraid I would have to send it in. It looks like a basic fee of about $112...oh well, better than a new unit!

Try sending something back to Lowrance and you'll appreciate H'bird all the more!

Latest posts

Back