Hull Cleaners

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott Smith

Reaction score
I have some areas of oxidation on the hull of my TV-18. I've given myself tendinitis trying to clean it off. Whats the secret...? I wash it and wipe it down, soon as it dries completely, it's back..! What can I use to take oxidation off a painted aluminum surface that won't destroy the paint job...?

I used an electric buffer, a cheapie I bought at Wally's for $25, and some cream aluminum polish. It worked pretty good but not like new. The gunwales turned out best, in fact they looked like chrome. It's also impossable to get in around the side boards and bunks (unless the jolly green giant lives next door).

Do a search and find Tee's post regarding polishing his PT185 with sharkhide. It turned out really great.

Harpo

Had some "mung" on the aluminum gunwales once that wouldn't come off with the usual cleaners. I tried some "Flitz" - a great metal polish - and the random orbital buffer. The good news: the mung/oxidization came right off. The BAD news: the aluminum shined SO brightly it caused a serious problem on sunny days. Not exagerating - like Harpo said, it was like chrome! VERY shiny chrome! Almost went blind on the next sunny day! (Thank god for polarized lenses...)

You might want to check out your sacrificial anodes.

Maybe replace them.

I just tried to do a search on the phrase "rust on hull".

One of the members explains it all there. You can also do s search on the internet for more info on sacrificial anodes.

I think Smitty wants to know about the painted surface so I'd say some kind of cleaner for a glass hull that would still be safe for decals and paint. Try not to use bare aluminum cleaners around the decals...there properties can destroy them.

TEE

Smitty, it's a painted surface, try rubbing compound that you would use for a car. 3M and Meguiers make good products. Get stuff for no clearcoat. You can also try a cheap electric orbital buffer like Sooner said to put it on and take it off.

Or you could pay me to buff it all out and wax it for you :)

Thanks for the info guys, I'll keep experimenting. I havent used an orbital buffer yet, so I think I'll give that a try. I'm certain it's oxidation, so I'm not sure if the anodes have anything at all to do with that; but I could be wrong. Never had this problem with my first 2 TV-18's, it's just really strange.

Now why would he want to ruin a perfectly good aluminum finsih with fiberglass...at least it ain't got a top cap that's held on by screws....;0

Teehehehe

Latest posts

Back