How deep do I need to be?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ken Howell

Reaction score
I've had my 700LX about 2 years now and I'm still paranoid about flipping the boat while going down the lake. This means that I don't go very fast and I don't travel very far from the ramp. A couple of my biggest concerns is that I'm afraid I'm not deep enough in the water. So my question is, how deep must I be to be safe? Should I be overly concerned about hitting submerged items, like the previous post. I really would like to go faster and travel further. Any comments?

Thanks,

Ken

Ken: How do you mean Flipping? How much of the boat is in the water at plane? What if I hit a submergerd object in the water? I have been looking alot at the 700LX and pending an act of God or a freak accident you should be safe. Now if it where a Tin boat? We don't worry about dat..

BF

A little paranoia is a good thing, it means you're paying attention. Once I get less than 15 foot I get a little uneasy. Keep safety in mind but use the boat that's why you bought it. Oh, and keep good insurance on the boat so if you do hit something, you can get it fixed. GOOD LUCK

Ken,

I rode as an amateur with the Bassmasters Pro/Am on the Delta in April. They drove at maximum speed with waves 4-6 feet. we hit waves sideways, straight on, were often complete air borne, got really wet but never flipped it. I was holding my rods and tackle down as they often were air borne. The only fear I really had was either get hit withe head by a duck trying to get out of the way or if the trolling motor would break off and hit me. Almost all the pros now don't have duel consoles.

In our reservoir at Lake Oroville we constantly are looking for logs. I was always afraid of tearing the motor off the boat. Now that I have hit two logs I realize the boat is just too big and heavy to worry about it.

Dive safe, watch for other boaters but I wouldn't worry about getting it to flip. Enjoy.

>>Dennis

Ken,

I have the lx700 also and can say that I am very proud of the waters this boat can handle. I've hit one small stump while on plane going about 35mph (i slowed up cause I wasn't sure what was in this area). No problem at all. Also, the motor will kick up if you hit an obstruction and you are going fast (i have the 115hp and that is what is says in the service manual). I think the lx700 is a pretty safe boat. watch the tracks or lanes where the other boats go through and make a couple slow runs thru and keep an eye on your finder. then next time you can zip right on thru there. I fish a lake which I'm still finding different routes to take so that I can stay on plane. matter of fact I found a new stump yesterday in an area I've went thru many times. There is a portion of the lake that I run on plane in 2 1/2 foot of water just to get back to a creek. the nose of the lx700 wants to bounce up a bit and it seems to stay down better at faster speed and trimmed in a bit. I think you would have to get into some really big waves and do some stupid things to flip that boat. I went to lake fork this summer and it was a forest as Adam posted. that is a good place to slow down and just get in behind another boat running on plane. I think it good to go slow if your not sure what is there. bass boats are pretty amazing to me at what you can do with them. Insurance is good advice, but I wouldn't worry about flippin the boat. time behind the seat in different conditions will be your best teacher.

Adam,

cool post on that bullet boat! I bet that was something to see. I might try to get back down to fork this fall and maybe we can hook up. still need some of those lonestars!

:>))

jd

Ken -

There is no real reason to go any faster than you are comfortable with going. The time savings is totally unimportant if you are scared out of your wits while running. Boating should be FUN!

As far as how much should be in the water, that is going to depend on many, many factors..... Boat / motor / load / water conditions / driver and passenger comfort..... I find it amazing how little of a pad-type bass boat can actually be in the water when they are trimmed up and running at speed!

Last summer, I was out with Rich Stern in his 700LX/115 Merc with jackplate on Lake Hartwell in Georgia. We were running in the low-60's in absolute comfort on a relatively calm lake. But then, Rich REALLY knows the feel of his boat, too!

Have fun!

Just stick with what is comfortable for you!

me!

I have a different boat a 929, it'll go 70 gps and don't need no more water than it takes to clear the motor. Depth is not the key, knowing the water is the key. These guys all make sense, I rarely run wide open, not the best fuel efficiency wide open. And once while runnign in 20' foot of water, at about 35 mph, I dry docked by boat on an exposed point. Knocked a whole in the keel and scratched her up a bit. Took two hours to get it back on the water, finished fishing the tournament, weighed 11 pounds for day two and wound up in 6th place. My wife thought dry docking at 35 was really a dumb idea, and I agree, but these boats can handle a lot of abuse, but again, confidence in knowing your water. Get in some familiar water, open her up and get to know your boat, she'll treat you good.

Latest posts

Back