Hooked on Fishing - Not on Drugs - another success!

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Texas Transplant

Reaction score
Our Club (Rock Hill Bass Club) finished up our major sponsorship duties for the year this past Saturday. In conjunction with the Rock Hill Police Department, we held our 17th Annual 'Get Kids Hooked on Fishing, Not on Drugs' fishing tournament at the Worthy Boys Camp.

We had 104 registered anglers, in four age divisions, along with about 10-12 walk ups on Saturday. Unfortunately, the weather was somewhat foul, so we only had about 75 kids (and their parents) in attendance.

Each child received a free t-shirt, bait, (loaner rod if needed), lunch, sno-cones and were eligible for trophies, door prizes and such. Almost everyone caught fish, and those that didn't earn a top three prize - still went home with a trophy.

It was another good day for familes and good outside activiites. Biggest problem, was the aberdeen bream hook we had to take out of one teen's leg (not a whimper).

Our annual tournament that we put on in April, funds the cost for this tournament, traditionally held the first weekend in May. Hopefully, I will have some pictures later this week or next, and I'll post up a few of them.

My wife (Judy) went with me, and just had a blast. She said that if she would have known it was that much fun, she would have been attending/helping out earlier.

Tex

Awesome job. That's why I DON'T belong to the local club, they don't do a thing other than use it to meet the requirement to fish Federation.

I have been trying to get something going for the kids for years. I have to get my younger cousin into a VT club so he can fish a kid's tourney. I also wanted to get a couple of guys to tow their rigs in the parade to increase memberships and instead of throwing out candy, we could throw out soft plastic baits to the kids to get them interested in fishing.

I can see it now, the 5th of July, all these Dads that HAD to take their kids fishing that never did before, because they got some baits at the parade the day before! LOL OK, so mayber out enrollement would NOT go up, but the kids would have a blast! LOL

I would also do a kids event and casting competition at the "fair" after the parade.

But good job Tex, fishing is losing it's interest in the eyes of kids today. They need to outlaw video games from April to November I think!

Just confirmed that I will be guiding some kids in the Caroline County Bridges Program again this year. This is where "at risk" kids get rewarded for good grades and perfect attendence at school with a fishing tournament. I was the guide for the winner last year (actually, we hook the fish and the kids reel them in, but the kids fish also!!). It is very nice to be able to give some kids that have possibly never held a fishing pole before the chance to enjoy the sport. You ALWAYS get back waaaaay more than you give.

TOXIC

Our club membership is now also talking about getting involved with local Scout troops, helping out with both the boating and fishing merit badges.

Tox - I remember your comments last year on that program. Sounds really neat.

Tex

Good Job!

However after 2 days fishing for post cold front muskies with only one follow to show for it, I am looking for drugs! LOL!!

Tex - As usual you and the club did a great thing! I remember the first time you told me about this program in your new club and how proud you were to help out!

Latest posts

Back