Help!!! Water "IN" boat

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cris Ratzlaff

Reaction score
I'm about ready to pull my hair out!!!:angry: I have a Targa 2000 20ft. fiberglass boat. My problem is that I get about a gallon of water in my bilge after being out 1 to 1 1/2 hrs. It's not enough to pick up on my bilge pump, but I can't figure out where it is coming from. I've resiliconed my thru hull's. It is parked inside. I have watched closely so I don't wash over the back coming off plane. I've resiliconed my livewell fittings and all my hose fittings. I have a good seal on the transducer cable. AAAAGGGGG!!!!:angry: Maybe I'm too picky. Does every boat get a little water in it? Is a gallon an hr. excessive? Any help would be appreciated!!!:)

How about the live well hose itself. Plug the live well holes on the out side and see if it stops

I'll bet it is coming in through the rub-rail. Either do a search here on the topic but have you ever pulled the rail and tightened the screws that hold the top cap on? If you can't find the procedure post back and we will fill your ear. BTW, a gallon is not much especially if that's all you get all day. But if you want a bone dry bilge the rub-rail is most likely your culprit. Also check your transom bolts but those will usually come close to swamping you. Don't ask me how I know.:lol:

TOXIC

Mine takes on more water than that....come in the hole in the splashwell where the cables come out.

How about next time it is on the trailer....level the keel... pour four or five gallons of water into the bilge.... have it parked over a dry area of cement so a leak will be easy to spot.

Ok... Got some great advice!:)In answer to some of the thoughts....I get water in the boat with or without water in the livewells, and I've checked the hoses real good for leaks. As far as the rub rail, I've looked that over real good also and the silicone that is on the bottom of the rub rail is in good condition. I guess I'm not quite catching on how it could be my rub rail, because this boat is fairly "deep" and the rub rail is never in the water. But maybe i'm not understanding:( As far as the drain plug, I have replaced the drain plug and the drain plug housing. Maybe I'll try putting water in the bilge and seeing if I can find a leak that way. Thanks to all who gave advice and thoughts, I really appreciate it!!!:):):)

Your rub-rail gets a high pressure spray from the bottom up when taking off, running and coming off plane. All boats do. Are the transom bolts tight? Check the bow eye. Also look down the boat front to back and if your rub-rail is "bumpy" the screws have backed out. I would pull a small section (3 or 4 screws worth and check the tightness anyway. I had to tighten mine on a 929 at least twice a season, more if I trailered long distances. My silicone was good as well.

TOXIC

Ok that makes sense. I went ahead and took my rub rail off (bout 2 to 3 ft. at a time) and yes I found that all the screws were loose, some quite loose! Tightened them all up. Tried the water in the bilge and could not find any leak, so..... Maybe it was the rub rail. Planning to go out tomorrow and I guess we will see.... I'll check my transom bolts better yet also, they seemed pretty tight tho. Thanks for all the thoughts and advice, I really appreciate it all!!!:):)

Took my boat out today.... was a little rough so we took a pretty good pounding!!! Pulled out and pulled the plug and about 1/2 to 3/4 gallon of water came out. We had been out for a little over 3 hrs. Don't know what else to check, so I guess I'll just have to live with it.:( Unless someone else has some more thoughts....:) Thanks again!!!

Cris - have you tried checking along the rub rail along the transom? Is there silicon under there as well to seal between the cap and the hull? Although my boat is different, I did have a seam there so that when I adjusted my transducer, I had water spraying back against the transom right at the seam. Caused my bilge pump to kick in after a heavy run. Using some 3M marine silicon, I sealed up the area and fixed the issue. Not quite the same symptoms as yours, but thought it worth a shot at suggesting.

Latest posts

Back