Heartworm prevention ????

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve Rizza

Reaction score
Should I be using any type of heartworm prevention for my dog ??? He's 2 1/2 now and the vet hasn't told me anything about it.

I've had him in for 3 sets of shots now, don't know anything about them though. They call me and tell me it's time, I take him in get the shots and pay the bill.

I've seen pills for sale for prevention, but don't know anything about it. Any thoughts ???

Steve

Steve: we've got our two dogs on the stuff. Same for the previous dog. Given that heartworms are transmitted by mosquito bites and they really can devastate a dog quickly, we consider it a small price to pay for our boys' health. Also, the cure is both expensive and dangerous. Do a Google search for heartworms and you'll find a lot of info. One site mentions that some of the most susceptible areas are within 150 miles of the Atlantic coast line. We're using sentinel which is a combo heartworm and flea pill.

Yeah, ya gotta take care of this. You need a new vet. Not only is he endangering your dog, but he is foolishly missing the profit from the meds. As I understand it you can't just start these, the vet needs to confirm that he doesn't already have heartworms first.

Berry is right, you need to have the dog tested before you give the dog the meds. Very important. If you treat a dog for heartworms that is already infected it could kill it. I use Interceptor on my dog. It kills hookworms as well as heartworms.

Harpo

Steve, YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What I would suggest, and I'll check with Nancy in the morning is HEARTGUARD (Ivermectin/pyrantel). It prevents Heartworm disease and it also treats and controls ascarid and hookworm infections. They are chewable and my dogs think they're treats.:p Again, I'll ask Nancy but I'm almost positive you have to get them from a vet.

Don;t wait any longer, get them as soon as you can and start your dog on it immediately. Keep track on a calendar or something so you know when to do it. They give you these little sticky hearts, Awwwww, that you can stick on a calendar. Without that I'd forget all the time.

If your dog gets heartworms, sell your boat to pay for what it will cost to "maybe" save your pooch.

If you've had that lab since he was a pup and he's 2 1/2 now, and the vet you take him to or the receptionist that works for him and just plain if nobody in that office informed you about hartworm prevention, I would find another Vet. Just my opinion. You can tell me how great he is some other time but so far, you're really lucky my friend. He should have a heartworm test now BEFORE he starts on the preventative medicine.

Uncle Billy

Yep. get the test from a different vet and if clean start the heart worm meds. You really need to get on this as the mosquito's are going to be bad this year with all the rain. Give the meds year round.

Thanks for the advice guys. I'll call the vet monday when I get back from the cabin.

I knew heartworm is bad, but didn't know what caused them, of if I should use prevention medicine.

The vet may have tested for heartworm, as stated I just ask if everything is OK and pay the bill. Hopefully he did a test in the past, and everything was negative.

BUT I know he has never mentioned that he should be on preventitive medicine.I'll definately get on him about it.

Steve

If you take the dog to the Vet on a regular basis (annualy?) He may do the treatment and you just don't know (look at your bills). I'd give him the chance to explain the situation. Keeping in mind that there really is'nt a reason (excuse?) not to administer it.

TOXIC

Steve, there used to be an annual or semi-annual injection Veterinarians used to give to prevent heartworms but it was taken off the market because it was harmful to some dogs.

Nancy thinks it was called Pro-Heart but isn't sure. She also said to remind you your dog HAS to be tested before you can start him on a preventive medication. She recommends Heartguard and that's what we use on ours and then we use Frontline for fleas and ticks.

Sentinel is ok but it doesn't kill fleas, it just keeps them from reproducing. I can't imagine all of those teeny vasectomy's. You can get Heartguard and Frontline from your Vet but even if you want to get it somewhere else, you'll need a prescription.

Uncle Billy

Yes you should definitely put him on heartworm preventative. Also, if he is outdoors alot, you should have some type of flea and tick med too. I use Frontline on my dogs. There are alot of ticks in the grass at my cabin.

I finally got through to the vet, and he has never been tested for heartworm. His notes say we discussed it 2 yrs ago, but that's all he knows about it.

I' don't know why I wouldn't have had it done, unless he downplayed the importance of it.

Thursday we go in for heartworm test, rabies shots, and some other stuff. He's due for a checkup and shots anyhow.

I think I'll stick with the Frontline for fleas, I used it last year and never saw a single one.

Gotta take care of my fishing buddy. :)

barkleyfishingntows3.jpg

Back