Has anyone had an allergy test?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teri C.

Reaction score
I went to have an allergy test today and I tested positive (allergic) to almost everything. 1-6 reading is fine. 7 and up indicates an allergy. She said when you get to double digits your highly allergic. I was scoring like 14, 15 and 18 on things. I even tested a 9 on dogs. I've had dogs all my life and never really noticed any obvious symptoms. My highest scores were on grass and grain.

I guess my question is did anyone else test positive on alot of things. How serious did you take their advice? They are saying I need to start shots next week and have a weekly shot for at least a year. Oh by the way, I hate needles and have even fainted on occasion.

They gave me a freakin' booklet of crap to read about what foods I can't eat and how to change my house. Come on! I guess I am just unsure on how serious I should take this. I have a few health issues which I take pretty serious and do what I am suppose to but this just seems crazy to me.

Get a 2nd test....from a different Dr. Who knows...maybe the 1st one was/is off!!...(Especially if you never felt "allergic" to anything before)...atleast that's what I'd do anyway...

Well I can't say I have no symptoms. I obviously had some to get my referred there but I guess they aren't obvious symptoms like hives or sneezing. I've had numerous sinus problems but my xrays were cool. They shoved this freakin' hose up my nose and down to my toes and said my tissues show major irritations. I also have daily headaches for years and they keep gettting worse. Not to go into my medical history but now they are saying that allergies are causing all that.

I don't think I'd do that test again. I have about 40-50 holes in my arms from needles and they are swelled up pretty bad. The grain needle poke looks like some freaky ameba creature. Ha!

I had one of those a few years ago, I hit on 40 of the 60. I take an allergy shot every month now. The doctor mixes the syrum up based off the results of my test. It helped quite a bit. It didn't solve everything but it's alot better now. It is very expensive though, thank goodness for Blue Cross Blue Shield (those guys really don't like me much, I cost them a small fortune)

Jeff, did you quit eating all the food they say cross reacts? Hell, between that and the south beach diet I won't be able to eat anything. And giving up alcohol forever is out of the question. I don't drive alot but when I want one, I want one.

Teri,

Im like you and im highly allergic to lots of things. I got tested just a few weeks ago and some of the molds they tested me for blew up so bad the alergist had to show some of her peers that worked in the office. She said i have some of the worst allergies she has ever seen in over 20 years. of the 30 things they tested me for i got a perfect 30 for 30. Lucky for me the only thing they tested me for that im not highly allergic to is dogs and cats, it would kill me to have to get rid on mine, i tested positive but very mild. Like you i start the allergy shots on thursday of this week( needles dont bother me). I never took my allergies seriously until now. I always new i had them but never new how bad they were. i was getting frequent ear infections for the last 4 or so years. The ear doctor thinks it is because my allergies are causing constant fluid buildup in my ears that is getting infected. I think he is right because im constantly stuffed up and if i take a decongestant i can hear a little better. He hopes the shots will also help my athsma as well, i hope he is right. . I ordered the bed coverings and the carpet sprays and such, i hope that helps too. I have to take this serious because if i keep getting these infections it will someday cost me my hearing and i really dont want that. Im already going to have to have surgery to repair a hole in my eardrum that wont heal due to these infections. I hope for your sake and my sake these doctors are right and the shots help.

I think those people who administer those tests are bogus. I had major " allergy " problems years ago. They tested me and told me that I need to stay away from large bodies of water and that I was allergic to steak,strawberries,pork and chocolate. I told the doctor you can kill me now and get it over with before I stop fishing or eating steak for that matter. I continued to have the problems and they continued to test me like a guinea pig. They gave me medications and the side effects were worse than the allergies I had. So I stopped going all together and I stopped the meds. Best thing I ever did. It all went away within the year and now I'm fine. After talking with some doctors, things come and go, and it is possible to have something like this leave after some time. Talk to some more doctors is what I would do.

Muskyman, im my cast i have been fighting allergies my whole life. I have been tested before and over time they have gotten worse. For example i cant eat any sort of shell fish, never have. Now i cant even be near them being cooked or ill have a reaction. I avoid seafood restraunts like the plague now. I always new i have seasonal alleries but this time i got tested for year round stuff and i got it pretty bad. My mother is the same way as is my sister.

Teri,

My son was tested for allergies. He was bad allergic to ltos of things. This started when he was about 2 yearsd old. He ws sick, eating was bad and lots of hospital visits.

Short of the story is that he had shots for about 6 or 7 years and the last alleery test was negative or negliable reaction on everything except his peanut allergy.

It is expensive. Even with just our co-pay. But it was TOTALLY worth it. He is much more comforatable and I think it has helped his quality of life.

I agree, 2nd opinion and make sure that you follow the pre instructions and all that prior to the test. Then, go from there.

Carlos

Get the shots Teri...come spring time you will feel 10 times better than you normally do in the spring time.

I was tested 2 going on 3 years ago and have been getting shots ever since once a week. I was too afraid of needles Teri but i found out that a calus auctually builds up to make your skin tougher so you dont feel a thing.

I was also allergic to everthing but the kitchen sink...my back was so puffy after they did the tests.

Good Luck and Get the Shots,

T.S.

Teri - Like others about 20 years ago (GOD that makes me sound OLD!!! LOL) in highschool I went thru the battery of tests up/down both arms. Also came out alergic to everything and air!!! :0) I went on double shots each week for 4 years. My folks emptied the house, replaced the carpet, plastic bagged my bed, hypoalergenic EVERYTHING and I was on the Golf Team and Rag Weed was one of my WORST alergies. I'll admit like Travis they helped 100% during the tough alergy times.

But by the time I got to college I got TIRED of hitting the hospital each week for shots, and decided to grin and bear it. I grew out of most of my realy strong alergies (Was so alergic to dogs in my teams I could NOT be in the same room, now I have 2 long haired mutts sleeping at the foot and at time ON my bed, not a problem!!!).

IT realy depends on how bad it is and if the over the counter or prescription meds can help. If the Shots are what is recommended (like others said ALWAYS get a second opinion) then try them for 6 months especialy in spring/summer and see how it goes.

Now I just take a little Psuedefed when I get a cold or alergy nose with a backup of Tylenol and off i go!

Studied for it all night and I still failed.

0 allergies.

Dust will make me sneeze though.

Trust me..it's BOGUS! My supervisor here at the base was tested about 6 months ago and she's been takin' shots in BOTH arms every week and says she feels like a pin cushion. She said it ddin't even cure what she initially went in for which is not being able to breath....just 2 cent.

TEE

I've been a diabetic since I was 10 - now 54.

I've been taking daily shots all my life.

As a kid, I used to take just one in the morning. Then, as treatment became more advanced in my 30's, I started taking two a day. Now, I take one in the morning, one every time I eat and stick my fingers two or three times a day to test my blood sugar.

To me, taking a shot is like brushing my teeth.

Believe me, you do get used to it!

me!

Teri, I was tested over a year ago and found out I was allergic to some things. I had been having breathing problems and they were testing me for asthma, lung problems and allergies. Now these shots work for a lot of people but they were making me worse. I ended up seeing a homeopathic doctor who treats you with natural substances. Worked like a charm. Like the shots it is not instantaneous. It will take time to work and they say three to four years to get the full job done. Go ahead and try the shots but if you get worse, try the alternative stuff. It's weird but it works.

Teri

Its difficult to give advice without knowing your history and the extent to which these alleriges are bothering you. It does not sound like anything life threating is going on so then it is just a matter of what you want to do. I typically only refer for allergy testing after patients have tried and failed on two or three antihistamines and at least two nasal sprays (one steroid and one antihistamine). Its true that the "allergy shots" do not cure all problems but they typically make a person more responsive to allergy medications.

Teri, most of my allergys were trees, animals, dust, grasses. I didn't have any food allergys except for something in beer. I do seem to have a problem with beer, it makes my nose and eyes run a bit. I just take a couple benadryl and that solves it.

Latest posts

Back