Hard starting Mercury 90

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jerry Glenn

Reaction score
I am having trouble getting my 1997 90ELPTO motor to start. If I try to start it, it will crank for about 20 to 30m seconds before starting. I do push in the key as I crank to enable the "enrich" solenoid I when it does start it seems to produce a lot of blue smoke as opposed to normal so I think it is being "enriched" If I use the button on my throttle control to add gas with it out of gear, it will start right up but of course run at high rpm. I am sorry I do not know the correct term for the round button on the bottom of the throttle control, but it allows you to push the throttle forward to start the motor without it being in gear. To try easy things, I have made sure the fuel bulb is pumped up, I have replaced the fuel bulb, I have replaced the fuel filter and installed a fuel pump kit that included gaskets and check valve. Same symptom. I am assuming I now need to pull the three carbs and clean them. I will see if there is a rebuild kit for them and do that too. Any other ideas? The motor runs fine once started.

Thank you in advance for your help!:):)

I would NOT get into the carbs at this point due to the fact it runs fine when warm. If it were carb issues, you'd experience it consistently. I suspect your enrinchner is not functioning properly. You should be able to hear a click when depressing the key switch, indicating it is getting power. You can also manually depress the black knob on top of the primer to activate it while running. You should see an immediate rpm drop as it floods the motor.

Just to add, a lot of the carbed mercs are finicky to start cold and everyone I know has a "routine" that works best. Things like making sure they are trimmed level before they start, hit the primer 3 times and of course pump the bulb before anything. Make sure your choke is working then go from there. You may just have to experiment to get your motors special needs figured out:lol::lol:

TOXIC

Ditto Toxic. My 90 can also be finicky during the starting process, beginning with the battery. If not fully charged, it can be less than excited about starting first crank of the day. Sometimes when it starts, it wants a little more fuel via the throttle ... but give it sips and it chokes up like an overloaded drunk.

I had a 90 ELPTO myself, and I agree with what has been said. Each one of them has their own particular way they need to be started. I had it down to an exact science (although it escapes me now), and it started flawlessly. Right up till I was doing a test ride for the guy that bought it. Then, I didn't follow my process and wound up flooding the thing.

Engine level and 'rock hard' primer buld were two of the things that I needed to do. The 'amount' of gas (pedal) was critical. If I gave it too much, it would flood in a heartbeat.

Tex

As far as starting procedure.....

-Trim motor level

-Prime bulb 'till firm

-Advance throttle slightly {you'll get to know when it fires and settles in at about 1500rpm}

-Turn key "on" and depress key-to-enrich and hold for no longer than 2 seconds, then simultaneously crank over.

-If it starts to "lean sneeze" or falter, "tap" the enrichner until it warms up and runs fine on it's own.

This procedure should be followed on ANY carb'ed Merc....;)

Thanks for the "lean sneeze" tip; I think that is the one thing I've never thought about doing. All else is part of my SOP.

Ditto to all of the comments....sounds like a common "ting" for carb mercs, my 90 2005 year

will flood in a heart beat so I only choke once and it usually kicks over although it might stall but I don't choke again only give it some neutral throttle...even in cold weather I don't choke but once and thanks Bob to the "lean sneeze" term, that one will stay with me..:huh:

My 05 90hp starts better than my 93 90hp did, but once started are very reliable. Find your sweet starting spot on the speed adjustment.

All 90's are the same...if you follow Bob's instructions and have the primer bulb pumped up you'll be fine.

If it's colder outside (below 50)..I'll choke it for maybe 5 or 6 seconds and just tap it if she acts like she's gonna "sneaze";):lol:

Back