Guest Charger Dying

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Barry Loos

Reaction score
My Guest on-board charger starts in the "red" phase then goes to the "red/green" phase and just stays there boiling the battery. It won't go to the "green only" phase except sometimes if I unplug-then-replug it.

Can on-board chargers can be repaired? Is it cost effective to repair it or do I just take it out and go back to using an automobile battery charger?

Bear

DaBear...

How old is your charger? I would never go back to the auto style again. If it's out of warranty, consider the abuse they have to take...bouncing around in the boat...Replace it with another and don't look back.

I had another thought...the batteries...can you borrow another battery and see if the same thing happens? Could be the batteries are "bad".

Thanks guys for the helpful ideas. Neither the battery nor the charger were a year old when this started. I have removed the batteries and topped off the cells with distilled water on two occasions.(real pain with a PT 175)

I will have the battery tested this winter before storage and change it if necessary. Right now I can get by without the charger.

Thanks again,

Bear

Bear - Call Sue D from Guest Co. if she doesn't jump right in here this morning, she's a member of the site. To quote her from another site last night (hope this is OK Sue):

Guest chargers have a 2 year warranty, so it is probably still under warranty. Give me a call toll free at Guest at 1-888-483-7865 ext 135.

Hey DaBear!

What model charger do you have?

Trep,

Looks like you are all over the net too. Trust me, helping out is never a problem and your answer is perfect.

Matter of fact, sounds like something I might say.

Have a great day!

Sue D.

Sue - Happy to oblige Mam. I work from home so while everyone else is commuting i'm surfing the fishing sites!

Have a great day! Oh and that 2611 is still going strong 2 1/2 years later!

TrepMan

Sue:

My Guest charger is a model 2608. A great unit, by the way, when it is happy.

Trep:

I checked and the unit only has a year warranty.

Bear

Bear,

All of the Guest chargers now have a 2 year warranty, even if the manual says one year.

Sue D.

Sue...

That...2 yrs even if it says one year...is just one more reason why you and Guest continue to amaze me...

Now, as I said before...if you would just drive out here and do the install...legendary customer service would grow to "Biblical Proportions"...

At the end of as long day...this is such a nice place to drop in...

Gee what a trade off! Well my legs aren't as nice, and I don't intend to shave them. But, yeah, since Scott offered to pay my airfare, accomodations and time out of the office. Sure, I'll come out and install it! Then we need to make sure it holds up to the practice run on the water while fishing!

Let's see...Airfare...$500...Lodging..one week $1050...rental car...one week $300...Food....$450...Miscellaneous expenses...$700...Yeah a "round number"...Scott...Rob needs a check for $3000 for his "little trip"...cash is okay or send your VISA card...That's a week on the water...heck we'll even drive down to vist you..stay there scare the neighbors to death!!! We'll fish all day...you work come home and we'll scare you!!! LOL

Hey, no one told me that Scott was gonna pay the airfare! Of course I'll come out and do the install.

Sue D.

Hang on..... Let me recalculate my finances before committing to this funding..... Hm-m-m-m-m..... What was it that Sister Mary Perpetual-Patience taught us in second grade..... Nothing from nothing is nothing.....

Sue,

We "left the light on for ya'". I'm home today...revising some procedure manuals for a client. So, at lunch I went out to the garage to plan out the "uninstall and reinstall"...but in light of your offer...I'll just leave the garage key under the mat...tool boxes are unlocked...My friend John is coming by to pick me up to go fish...there's beer in the fridge...just tell my wife and daughter you're "here to fix the boat". Well be back about two-three hours after dark. Scott, I'm sure Sue will work out payments...90 days same as cash or "sumpin like dat". You guys are the best...taking care of me like this in my old age....makes my heart feel all warm and fuzzy...or did I just wet myself and misplace my glasses...LOL

Greg,

Sorry, the charger shipped before I could get my hands on it. I guess that this means that Scott is off the hook for expenses, temporarily. Let me know when the charger arrives and I can have Scott set me up with tickets etc.

Sue

Hey Sue... New Deal... I wanna make Marke's party at Rob's... So, I'll air-freight me and the boat to P'burgh... So just get me one of those RMA tickets for FedEx... I'll meet up with you there... SCOTT CAN "SETTLE-UP" LATER... See it'll all work out... Unless, Scott grab one of them Volvos you got hanging around... need a flat bed for the boats...swing by here...we'll "team" the driving to CT...pick up Sue and we'll all make Marke's send off...

Wouldn't it be less of a hassle if we just had Neeley bring us to Auburn Hills to greet Marke on his arrival? Compliments of Johnny Morris, of course!

Ok,

I am wonderign about my charger now. My guest has the red lights turn on, then all 3 banks go green, then after a few hours one of the bank lights (for trolling motor) goes to red/green flashing. Is this hurting my battery? I looked at the web site and was still kinda confused. I have guest model 2631.

Carlos

Carlos,

Generally the charger does not blink unless you have new batteries. Please check the model and give me a call at Guest at 1-888-483-7865 ext 135.

Have a great weekend all!

Sue D.

Sue,

WOW thanks for the fast response!! I have a model 2613. Thanks and I will try back on Monday.

Carlos

Carlos,

The 2613 will blink under the following circumstances- the start bank is the older 3 amp size and the battery is fully charged and being maintained at low amperage. Another possibility is thtt the trolling side has one battery at a different state of discharge than the other or you have one blown DC fuse or you have new batteries.

Hope this helps!

Sue D.

Latest posts

Back