grinding when staring

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mark barton

Reaction score
When turning over 90hp mercury 2 stroke all I get is a grinding sound. Any ideas. Just started this morning, no signs or symptoms prior.

sounds like your starter has a bad bendix spring. (when your bendix goes bad it doesn't let your starter fully engage)

Same issue 2 years ago, similar motor. Solved by squirting lithium white grease up under the "bendix bell" on the top of the starter shaft and working it is with a few starts. This lubed the worm gear and (clutch ?) allowing the mechanism to rise when the starter motor spins up and drop out after the motor started. It would hesitate and grind otherwise. Also check 1) all the teeth on you flywheel for damage ($$) and 2) the bolts holding the started are still there and tight.

I lube mine with silicone spray. I found in time the white lithium will attract every dirt and dust molecule around and become pretty sticky.

Had similar problem this weekend, on mine the starter is shot, new one coming tomorrow. The only way I figured out what was wrong was to pull the cowl on the water (it worked for an hour then wouldn't crank over just grind), and watched what happened when it was trying to start. So if the boat is at the house, hook up the muffs/water, pull the cowl, turn ON the water, and see which part is or isn't working.

Trep

Mine was the bendix also...like said a lil' lube does the trick usually.

Latest posts

Back