Greg Gutierrez averted disaster Wednesday

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve Rizza

Reaction score
Yeah the headline in the local paper today got my attention also..:D

Here's the clip from the paper,I cut out the middle part about all the other guys.

Greg Gutierrez averted disaster Wednesday.

One of the 47 anglers who will be fishing in the Bassmaster Classic, Gutierrez was on the rivers yesterday, the last day competitors could practice before the actual tournament. He had cast out to a fishy-looking spot when a carp he estimated at 20 pounds hit his "secret" bait.

"It was pretty comical, but I couldn't afford to cut him off," Gutierrez, of Red Bluff, Calif., said with a laugh. "You're only allowed to bring so much equipment, and that was my secret bait. That's why I had to fight him all the way back to the boat. I had to get it back."

The good news is Gutierrez got his lure back. The bad news is that bass -- the species of fish Classic anglers are really looking for -- proved scarce again. Several anglers said the fishing, tough when they last practiced here the final week of June, continues to be challenging.

Gutierrez, for example, said most of the bass he caught were legal-sized. There just weren't many of them.

Gutierrez, one of the few non-pros in the field, said something as dramatic as a Classic victory could allow him to leave his job as a firefighter and become a full-time angler. That's his dream, and what he will be aiming for.

"If I can keep rolling with what I've got, I feel I can do well," Gutierrez said. "I don't know about winning. I don't put myself as the favorite certainly.

"But I think my odds are as good as a lot of people's. You're going to see one smilin' son of a gun if I do win, I'll guarantee that."

Skip the 20 lb carp and just pull a 20 lb limit dude!

I bet his heart was racing when that carp bit though! :lol:

I bet he was using Harpo's secert Carp bait........A lucky craft crank bait......:lol:

thats a Harpo/BJ joke for those that will remember.

I am thrilled that "one of our own" is right there peeking in the door...

Greg - I'm with you, heck forget "peeking in the door" he put his skills and time to the test and made it to the BIG DANCE!!

Hey! It takes real skill to hook a carp on a crank bait! Way to go, Gutz!!

Wait tell Greg tells what he was fishing with, I bet his eyes lit up big time when he set the hook.

BF

Latest posts

Back