Great Avalanche article on BWB mag site

• Thread starter Michael Trepper
  • Start date
Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrepMan

Reaction score
Gang - Check out this write up on the Avalanche with a XR6 150merc:

http://www.bassandwalleyeboats.com/site_page_899/article_page_42.html

I especialy like the like "As a mass-produced boat, Tracker sometimes gets a bad rap, but the Avalanche shows innovative design and sturdy construction."

"The new Avalanche appears to be made of fiberglass"... "appears to have a gelcoat finish"... "At the helm, the fiberglass console is sleek"... "Among the advantages of stretch-formed aluminum is that, similar to a fiberglass boat, all the shapes (e.g.: strakes, pad and V sections) are molded in" .....

Need I say more? GLASS is the standard to which every other boat is held...yes, even the tin ones!! Why they might get so good at aluminum manipulation, some one could actually think it was FIBERGLASS....Keep trying. LOL!!

TOXIC

Ahh oh great and drooling Toxic - see the vision as it is, GLASS as the starting point but in Aluminium to save weight, repair costs and longevity!!! See, we're just trying to find way's to get the GLASS brainwashing out of your head!!!

Save weight??? Barely. The 882 weighs 1477 lbs, the Av weighs in at 1370 lbs. 107 lbs less, the same amt as a TM thrust or how much Trep weighs after a big meal. For us full growed anglers......a full tackle bag. The 882 = $17k, the Av = $19k. So what is the extra $2k getting you? Ain't faster, sure ain't no purtier minus da sparkles, cause dem bassus luv 'em dontcha know! It's a fad, like bell bottoms and thin neck ties!

Speaking of thin necks... So, what I am wondering is when the "WRINKLES" begin to get worked out and they develop this material and process... Just how good will these botas be... I know "better'n glass"..but how much better.... I figure by five years into this process...they'll be advertising glass boats as "budget" Avalanches...LOL

Ummm...I hate to remind you guys this, but if Tracker gets this stretched aluminum process perfected, and starts producing Avalanches in 19-, 20- and 21-foot lengths, you can kiss the era of fiberglass goodbye.

Think about a professional fisherman. He runs a boat hard, and risks stress cracks and rock/stump gouges more than us recreational boaters. (Same is true for guides, but I'll let that dog lie.) A damaged fiberglass boat will be out of commission for WEEKS. A damaged Avalanche could be back up and running in 24- to 48-hours (if you don't need to have it re-painted).

Once these kinds of boats break the 20-footer barrier, watch how fast they take hold.

Want sparkles? Use spray adhesive and throw glitter on it.

Greg...always the one to use FEWER words.

Nice shot, quick draw McGraw!

OK there is FUN fighting Tin vs. Glass but darn gang, EVERY time we bring up something we ALL go at it! This was SUPPOSED to be a "Look at the GREAT press that Tracker got in Bass/Walleye magazine on the Avalanche" SO, quit your *****en and let's talk about the article!!!

Carlos - go play with your glass!!! LOL

Bityerkitchen????

Ohhhh...QUITCHER*****IN!

You are right (again) Trep. It was a very nice review of a Tracker Marine product. I was surprised to read that they got 160 h.p. out of a 150 outboard!

I wish I were just a bas guy...then my choices would be easy... I just hope my dream boat...21' Tundra is as agile and fishable... I just gotta have that extra deep boat... Now, I am very disappointed in BWB as a mag... There are never any critical articles of anything but top of the line boats... So for them to review the Avalanche and credit it with solid performance in an affordable package...WOW!!! I might get a subscription again...

Course, like the song said; "Oz (BWB) never told nothin' to the Tin Men that they didn't already know"...LOL

Trep,

Chain yankin' is what makes this site so fun....now if it gets tooo serious (like when Rob got pelted) then we need to reaffirm that were all just playin. Don't tell anybody but I don't have a real problem with tin and especially if they can get the length worked out. My major concern would be the paint job. So you don't crack the glass but you scrape off the paint..seems to me that's more noticable AND let's wait and see what a paint job (for a scratch) is gonna run. I have this horrible vision of these boats runnin around with primer on em' like a lotta trucks I see at the ramp. FUGLY....and overall, how will the paint job hold up. Give em' a couple years on the water and we'll talk.

TOXIC

That's a legit concern Tox, but it's a baked on automotive finish...tough as nails (so they say)....but with only 3 colors available so far (white, red and pewter) those should be easy to match!! Spray,..buff,..polish....done deal..you could literally do it yourself in the garage....NOT many people can fix glass scratches..let alone by themselves in their garage...in an hour!!..LOL

I like the Pewter color for that very reason....scratches would be alot less noticable with tin underneath!! LOL

That boat in a 20ftr would be awesome...no doubt!! I sure liked "Bassin'Fools" when I drove it in NY...he has a 150 on his...can't imagine what that boat would do with a 175!

YEEOOWWZAA!!!!....It would be a Porsche on water!!

Mac

Morning Mac...

My point being, it would take a lot of pressure to crack the glass but not that much to scratch the paint (less pressure=more damage). And you and I both know if it is a baked on paint you won't be able to replecate that finish after the fact. There are very few cars that get a good repair finish. It's an art form. Not as simple as buying aftermarket spray can and touching it up and buffing it out!! Jury is out but like I said, I don't have a problem with it, I'm not rushing out to jump on that bandwagon just yet. I hope it lives up to the hype.

TOXIC

no doubt....it's deffinetely a GREAT idea though...and that 18ftr is a gem...the BEST tin boat Tracker makes in my opinion!! (that and the Tundra)

Don't get your silk panties in a bunch Trep, that's my job! LOL Like I said before, once these boats are on the water say 3 or 4 years and any flaws like the TV transoms are addressed, I would drive one (if I got a full warranty). I would like to see how the hull holds up over prolonged use on big water like Erie, Ontario, or Champlain....isn't there another one........Michigan something or other.

OK having just rode in Dan's 929 with the 250XP i'll reserve my comments on 20-21ft aluminium boats till I drive/ride in one! That 929 is HUGE and FLYS! We hit 76mph gps'd this morning! OK it was COLD!!! 37 degree's don't know how cold the ambient temp was but I am SURE glad Dan keep's full faced helmets on board!!

Great morning with a realy great guy, but alas ZERO fish by either of us. Official reason is cold front passed thru yesterday and the fish have not recovered!!!

MAN what is it with you Nitro guys? First MAC does these great rod handles, a Hat for Beka and signs' my Crappie shirt. NOW Dan goes and brings me a great bumper sticker (Eat My WAKE!!) and even better a new BPS hat SIGNED BY the likes of Kevin Van Dam, Tommy Martin, Denny Braurer, and Woo! Man, you guys take care of us little Tracker owners well (at least this one!!! Eat your hearts out!!!)

What's that Trep, starting to see the light are you? Like I said, I'm sure it can be done, but it will be some time before they can get all the benefits of glass and all it's lines and hull perks into a tin boat. But I like Ken's fibertin idea!

That 929 is HUGE and FLYS!

Case Closed, he's bit. "I feel the need....for speed"!!

Rob, help him write the for sale ad....

TOXIC

And be sure to install an aftermarket 4-point restraint system. That' boat'll need it to hold Trep in.

I tell ya there was only 1 time when I actualy held on to the console grab rail but other then that VERY smooth! But in all fairness to the Avalanche and Tundra i've not rode in one of those yet!

I did a search on the site members and only found four of us with Avalanches. I wonder how many more are out there that are just listing in? I'll tell you straight up, I love my Avalanche, but then thats me. If they do come out with a 20 footer that takes a 225 HP look out cause there won't be many boats that will be able to catch them.

Latest posts

Back