Gr8mac - how'd you do?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim in VA

Reaction score
Ran into Mac this morning at Gravelly Point while putting in. Hadn't fished the Potomac in DC waters for over a year. Since Carter had a ball game at 11am, I had about 3.5 hours so I limited my run down to just south of Blue Plains. Here was my first on a crank bait.

DSCN1677.JPG

Came up with a few more around the pound plus size and then got this one towards the end of my run using my tried and true favorite on the Potomac (tube)

DSCN1681.JPG

Mac - hope you had a good one! Next time you intend to go out, give me a shout. Maybe we can hook up.

Jim

Hey CIII!

Yup, it was cookin'! Water temps were low 80's. And I got off the water at 9:30am to make Carter's baseball game!!

We need to fish together again. Been wwwwaaayyy too long.

J.

ps: Nice MVM pics!

Jim,

Nice fish! It was good to see you.

We did OK early on, but not bass-I got one smallie early at the docks, then we caught 4 blue cats on spinners before we saw another bass! I pulled a 4 lb cat off the dock at Blue Plains, got skunked at Oxon creek and the spoils, then moved into the Washington Channel. About 1:00 we found some bass tight to cover-they would not bite unless the crank bait actually hit the branches or rocks.

We got a total of 6 bass in about an hour, the 2 biggest went 2-4 and 2-10. Then, this happened:

5_Jun.JPG

Caught a 14" LMB, and when I reached for his lip he flipped and threw the hook into my finger. Two of the barbs went deep, so I couldn't straighten my finger. Couldn't back them out, so I finished my day in the ER.:wacko: Couldn't remember when my last tetanus shot was, so I got that too!

Still was a good day. I'll shoot you an email nesxt time I plan on heading out.

Feel your pain man! I had a hook in my finger earlier in the week, I went to the Neely ER though ;-)

G8rmac - OUCH!! I got a single hook past the barb last year. Used a dehooking kit to get it out (or should I say my fishing partner did it!). That method wouldn't have worked for your situation with the double hook - again, OUCH!

Funny that you didn't get bit at Oxen Creek. I think I mentioned that due to my son's baseball game, I stuck to fishing just there. Two of my bass came from towards the back, one at the rocks near the mouth. I probably hit it at the right time as the bass were actually breaking all over the surface at the entrance when I was fishing it.

Definitely shoot me an e-mail. Hoping to get out next weekend. Maybe we can hook up with Carlos too?

Jim

Yeah, I can get a single hook out, but when I moved either side of this one the other one dug in. Luckily it went in so fast that it never had a chance to hurt!

I'll let you know about next weekend, I've been out a lot lately so I need to make sure I don't have any "honey dos" to take care of!:D

Ouch!!! Looks like one of my favorite Norman colors. Those "Damn-I-Got-You" hooks Normans use sure do bite quick don't they. I took one in my thumb knuckle that far last summer. Could not bend my thumb at all. Chugged a couple of beers and twisted it back and forth while pulling it back to remove it. Couldn't push it through due to the bones in the thumb. Fished the rest of the day and caught many fish but the thumb was sore for weeks.

Latest posts

Back