GPS

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ed Rife

Reaction score
I just orderd a 581i Combo for my 640lx it's my first GPS unit as I have had a tough time finding my way back to the ramp at night I thought this would lead me home. Any thoughts or tips on this unit?

Thanks in Advance.

Ed

First off,..you'll wonder why you didn't get one 5 years ago.....they are awesome!! Secondly,..remember,....when you go from point A to point B via GPS it is a straight line UNLESS you plot a course. If there's an island or obstruction between point A and B, you will hit it or come dangerously close to it on your way to it. You need to keep that in mind when traveling at night. Learn how to plot a course on your GPS, around such objects at night and you'll get home safely and without incident.

You'll love it....they are the best things you could have on a boat for navigation.:wub:

Thanks Mac and by the way I so agree with Eintein, without imagination there would be no knowledge....

Sad to say, I upgraded my units when I took my boat to Florida ans besides being a little longer learning curve, I was thankful I did. The St Johns river is tricky and those HD units saved my rear more than once. If you don't want to plot your course, you can always double back on your tracks to the ramp, or in my case my dock. Gave me the confidence to go places I normally wouldn't have.

TOXIC

The GPS ranks right up there with duc tape, for those of us who could get lost in a phone booth. Your going to love it.

Hey Troy.

I'm back in lovely Virginia now, I spent 2 years in Florida. Lived in Jax/Mandarin on the St Johns right across from Dr's Lake. Loved it there but it was always a temporary gig from the get-go. Stumbled onto a great house with a pool and found a great river T partner. I actually had an Elite Series angler stay with me for a week (we shared sponsors). I still stay in touch with a lot of the guys and I actually sold my 929 while there to a budding tournament angler. Here was the view of my dock from my backdoor. Man I miss that place!!

Picture 052sm.jpg

Back on topic, while there I used the tide information a lot. Nothing like going into a deep cut or creek and then having the tide swing on you (up to 3 feet) and get stuck and have to wait for it to turn around. :p

TOXIC

Latest posts

Back