Got ideas on recharging my trolling motor battery

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Barry Loos

Reaction score
This summer I'll be camping in a park for 4 days. The site has no electric. I figure with hard fishing I could get 2 days out of the single battery if it isn't real windy. But by the end of the 2nd day I am going to need a recharge.

Thanks for the insight

Bear

What about one of those emergency jump start set ups? They sell them at Walmart and auto supply stores. You charge it at home and keep it in your trunk. If your battery dies, you hook it up and off you go. Some of them have outlets that you could maybe plug a charger into. I think they run about 50$. ('course for that amount you could probably get a 2nd battery!)

There are also solar panels that will trickle charge a battery. BPS and Cabela's sell them, but I'm not sure how long it takes to recharge a drained battery. If I were you, I'd invest in a second battery and make sure that both are fully charged before you go.

Mark

There are a variety of small (about 20 lbs), 2 stroke generators on the market. Most have at least a 10 amp DC charging capability, or you can run your boat charger off the AC side if the charger doesn't mind the funky AC of the generator. You'll probably spend $200 - $300 for one. I know Coleman makes one called the Ultimite. There are a also a bunch of China made "no-names" on the market. Honda makes the king of small generators that puts out very clean power and makes very little noise (4 stroke), but it's about $600.

Here's a no-name on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1693873144

I have an "isolator" installed (as low as $50.00) on the boat that does help keep the batteries charged from running the "big" motor and I also have one installed in my truck to keep an "auxillary" power setup...12v battery and 120AC converter cherged...that will definitely keep a second 12v charged with a run to the grocery and McDonalds..etc..It's a worthwhile setup for camping anyway...provides a 12v/120vAC choice at the campsite...you can always start the truck and let it idle to recharge

Barry -

If it would be of help to you, I have a 12V/120V AC convertor (pluds inton the cigarette lighter) sitting around the house somewhere that I used to plug a laptop into...... If you'd like it, send me your address - it's your's!

me!

Scott...

Got any gps's, trolling motors, Shimana Curado's, etc you wanna send my way??? LOL

What a great bunch of guys and gals here on this board!!!

second battery, and maybe even a third. i use wallmart everstarts. cheap and they last me all day in the wind. and my old boat wieghed 2,100 lbs. theres probably better batteries out there but i like to change mine every 2 years. so at $70.00 i can afford them. stan

Thanks for all the ideas guys. I might get the second battery also that was a great idea about the 12v/120vac converter.

Scott

Thank you for the offer and the idea. I have a 12v/120vac converter that I never thought about. That's why its great to bounce questions off of you guys.

Thanks

Bear

If your only going to be gone for 4 days you might ask a friend who has a trolling motor if you could borrow it. I wouldn't have a problem lending a friend one.

Latest posts

Back