Glad to see Tak win!!

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greg hall

Reaction score
That guy fished his a$$ off he deserved that one I knew he had it when he pulled out that big fish.The look on Martens face said it all.KVD would have won I think if he had a better first day & a big fish but it was a good come back,after a tough first day.

I think they're all lucky that Denny Brauer only had one fish on the second day. Even with that bad day for him he was only leass than 6 pounds from winning.

Tak seems like a decent guy and deserved the win.

Bill

Its great for our sport. I was glad to see Tak win, although I was pulling for KVD.

My 8 year old daughter watched the shows with me, as she always does and asked tonight if Tak gets a boat also along with the money. Anyone know if the winner gets a classic rig along with the cash?

Ah'd rather be Lucky than Good.

But ya've gotta be pretty darned Good

Ta git Lucky.

- Richard "The King" Petty

Congratulations, Tak!

You are mighty darned Good!

me!

They get the money. No boat/motor combo, to my knowledge. Remember, most of these guys are very high up the ladder in corporate sponsorships. Doesn't make sense to give a new Triton/Merc. combination, to someone who might be fishing a Ranger with a Yamaha on it.

Tex

"The more I practice, the luckier I get"

-Gary Player

Harpo

Tex,...The Pro would just sell it to a dealer or individual at the event,....Pro's "win" boats all the time and they just sell them on the spot to a dealer.....it happens ALL the time!! Gary Dobyns from CA. has won over 50 boats in his career,...he just sells them to a dealer and takes the cash!!

Mac, given what you say about selling the boats to a dealer, why are so many people selling "certificate" boats on the internet and having such a hard time doing it?

Also, who is Gary Dobyns? I've never heard of him, and would love to be the guy no one's ever heard of that wins 50 boats :) Is he a "touring pro" or a local pro?

Snow,....each sellers "bottom line" is up to them,...some of the Pro's need the $$$ worse than others,....they're willing to take less cash from the get-go and not have to deal with getting another boat home when they already have one with them!

Gary Dobyn's lives in CA.....he DOMINATES the California Tournament scene,....he puts his family first and has no intention of touring the mostly central and eastern US states, when he can stay in CA and win 100G's a year there...interviews I've read with him are awesome. He doesn't need to travel to make 2-3X's as much as the "touring Pro's" and he never leaves home. He's probably one of the most successful, "Family first", level headed, and "unknown" Pro's in the sport!! Do some research on him and see if you can find that interview,...he's a stud, and he's living a dream,...on HIS terms!...my kinda guy!!

Mac

Dobyns is the all-time money winner in the western U.S.

I heard he has averages 2 boats won each year for his entire career, but I don't know how long he has been fishing.

Check Yamamoto's site, he is on their National Team.

Dobyns id the stud in the west. No not Rojas, not Martens, not Reese. It is Dobyns. He chose not to come east to fish because he doesnt have to to make money. He does quite weel in the west and saves a TON of money by not travelling east.

Certificate boats are usually won in local tourney's by lesser known pro's. Not national events. These guys are usually trying to maximize their winnings by selling the certs on the net. Most National pro's cannot babysit the internet to "cater" to the buyer, so they will sell them CHEAP to a dealer to expedite the cash flow (and believe me, most NEED the money FAST). BUT they still get 1099'd on the full retail value.....it stinks to win merchandise rather than cash. I know it sounds funny, but you dont do as well as you would if it was cash.

Notice how the BASS events no longer give prizes to the anglers (motors, etc) except for the winners? That was asked for by the Pro's on the Advisory Council in 03, BASS implemented it in 04.

Mini

By the way folks, Takahiro Omori is only known as "Tak" by Fish Fushburn (at least up until this tournament). Everyone else calls him "T.O.". Even his now defunct lure company was called T.O. Lures.

Mini

Well, congrats to T.O., Seems like a good man, who REALLY appreciated and enjoyed his accomplishment. Was pulling for KVD, but was happy to see the way T.O. came through. egMike

He sure did look like he was in awe at the whole shebang.

How much do they follow BASS in Japan?

Will this put it on the map over there?

There must be alot of bass fishermen there,I always hear about how heavily pressured the lakes in Japan are.

He was THE bassfisherman in Japan BEFORE he won the classic.

Now he will be a god in his homeland.

Mini

Him winning should really expand the reaches of B.A.S.S. then.

I was VERY glad to see him win.

After Rojas was in the lead after day 2 i wanted him to win. But i was happy to see TO win..what a story..came here with little money and little english..now look at him...thats what dreams are made of. thats what freedom and america can do!

I kinda felt bad for him in a way. As most know here its my dream to get to that level and fish profesionally. If i was on the stage winning it...i would want my family (Wife, parents...whoever) up there with me. He had to do the victory lap alone.....i wish he had somebody to share it with....but he seemed VERY happy...and i'm very happy for him

BJ

What an observation, BJ! I'm again proud of you! Don't ever loose that sensitivity to others! It will be one of your assets that will be most cherished by those who get to know you... and there will be many as you climb to the podium!

God Bless!

me!

It was mentioned above, but let's also really appreciate what KVD accomplished this weekend.

He had a really bad first day; came back on the second, and roared into the leaderboard area (and was leading) on the third. Many, including myself, thought he was cooked after day one.

I have even an increased newfound respect for the way he handled himself professionally, and also from the angling aspect. I've always known him to be a great angler, but this weekend really showed me some areas that I wasn't aware of.

I'm certain that since he was asked to weigh in early, that he probably knew that the chances of him winning were not that great, but he really handled himself quite professionally in the arena and on the stage. Even when asked to make his entrance to the 'seat' twice, due to television.

Tex

KVD is one of the best in the busimess at every aaspect, not just fishing.

TO's family is still n Japan. He lost hi father last year suddenly and actually missed a tournament and the chance at the classic last year. He is single so his immediate family is all in Japan.

Did anyone else notice that he was NOT carrying the American Flag? I have seen anyone comment on this. I do beleive he has been naturalized (US Citizen), but I am no sure. I will call him and ask :)

Mini

Mini,

He has not been naturalized yet...there was quite a bit of discussion about this on that other board.

Hey John, I did notice that, and I mentioned it to Kathy as we were watching. Even if he's not a citizen, I just figured they'd give him an American flag AND a Japaneese flag.

Craig

Back