Gelcoat Blisters

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fatrap

Reaction score
On several fishing sites there's a lot of talk about fiberglass boats having the gelcoat blister where it rides on the bunks. They were talking about a Ranger but all newer boats seem to experience it. Some type of osmosis where the water passes through the gel coat and causes a blister. Most commonly in the area kept wet by carpet on the trailer bunks but not strictly limited to that area.
I'm seriously considering getting rid of my Tracker Tundra in light of all the crap that has happened to it since I bought it. We are going to Smithville MO. This October to look at the Ranger 1880 Angler. Now all this stuff about blisters. It seems to be going viral on boating sites.
Anyone here hear of such stuff. My old Nitro's hull looked great when I sold it.
fatrap

Mike, you are correct about the blisters and they are a concern. Especially since none of the manufacturers cover them. Be a prudent buyer and look at the new style bunk material i.e., Gatorbak. It is across the board on all manufacturers as well. Older boats before the EPA change in resins seem to be less prone. Ranger helps with repairing them. Problem lies on finding them before purchase since they are most often under the bunks. Many have them and just never knew.

Important to keep in mind that blisters are a cosmetic problem. Doesn't change the integrity of the hull. Ugly, may rob a little top end speed, and certainly a negative for resale, but they don't cause a boat to fall apart.

Rich is right but in a few cases and if the blisters are bad enough they will delaminate the gel from the fiberglass. I can't imagine running 70mph down the lake and have a 4 foot section of the hull come loose when all of the blisters play connect the dots and the gel lets loose.

Latest posts

Back