gel coat troubles

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Justin Bradley

Reaction score
I've got a 2010 Z-7 and the gel coat has chipped off and I can see raw fiberglass. My dad seems to think it is a design flaw on the new hulls. The problem is on the very back of the running surface on the corners. They are cupped down and that is where the stress cracks are starting. Like I said one side has already chipped and the other side has a 4 to 5 inch crack around the cupped part. There is also touch up paint on that side where the hull color meets the running surface color. I've only had the boat about 3 months and this is just not gonna cut it. I was just wondering if anyone else out there with the new rps hulls are having any trouble? I'm gonna take it to the dealer tomorrow and see what they say. There are no gouge marks or anything so I'm sure I didn't hit anything. Last time I was at the dealer they said Nitro was about 2000 boats behind on the Z-7 so maybe its they just rushed the process. Any thoughts and comments will be appreciated.

Justin

i'll tell ya this from experience, my 06 189 Sport had a dime size chip out of it right under the bow, after I had it on the water about 3 times, so it was around 2-3 months from new. i was very upset and wanted to bash tracker ect, as you are also upset and rightyl so, its a new boat. I took it to the dealer, and they looked at it, and said it was probly an air pocket left from the spray process, and either stone or just being fragile it let loose, it took about 3 days at the dealer, they had a gelcoat guy fix it under warranty, and that was in 2006, have had no issues since, so before you get too upset like I did, give them a chance to look at it and fix the issue, I'm sure you'll be fine as I was.....am

Let us know how it goes.

-Mike

Voids can happen in any glass from any mfr. Moisture, high humidity, even a sweat droplet from an installer can leave a void after curing. It is an easy resolution should this be the case at hand. Good luck! ;)

I also have a 2010 Z7 and don't have any issues. that is a warranty issue that needs to be fixed and not an issue with the hull design.

Im not knockin Nitro but when you have that much money tied up in something you get upset. I love my boat.

all brands have boats with issues......just give the cutomer service a chance to show they are getting better....good luck

Hi let me give you a little advise push hard to get it done now. The dealer will try to get you to hold off till the end of the season. don't do it. I did that and they still have not fixed my issues with cracking gelcoat They have repaired 34 crackes in it over 7 times in the shop with it going to the factory once. I am a little over 2 years old now I have about 12 cracks in the boat right now. It even went back to the factory where they repaired it and it cracked on the trailer ride from the factory back to bass pro. the last time it was fixed it cracked within 5 minutes of running it. I wish you better luck and they treat you better than they are treating me. My boat has been it the shop for over 260 days and counting.

Sounds like a void. When the hulls are made they start with a reverse mold, laying each layer from the outer most coat first. First paint is shot, then glass is shot or laid over the mold indentions that make the strakes. Since it is glass it does not easily settle down into the indentions of the molding that forms the strakes. the results or void between the paint and the glass. I am not sure how a manufacturers warranty looks at this this since its a known issue and is likely considered part of a "normal" condition.

that or you picked up a rock while trailering.

a good fiberglass place can usually fix it pretty easily with relatively minimal cost. Especially if you do not live near a manufacturer and consider the cost of boat transporting.

E

Latest posts

Back