Garmin or Lowrance

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Texas Transplant

Reaction score
Since I'm now committed to purchasing new sonar units, I've settled on one of two brands - either Garmin or Lowrance. Each have their own followings.

I have Garmin GPS units, and they work very well. I tend to lean that way. If I buy Garmin, I will probably go with the 240 for the main unit, and a smaller one for the trolling motor.

On the Lowrance, I'm not as sure. I can't go there top end units, as I have a budget to watch. I'm considering the X85 and X65 units.

Looking for YOUR inputs and feedback.

I just went through the same research you did and decided on Garmin or Lowrance myself. Hummingbird was definitely out after reading the posts on this and other sites. I bought my Lowrance x-51 off ebay. It was my first purchase ever off ebay. I made sure the seller had plenty of great feedback and I started bidding. The first thing to do is search for Lowrance or Garmin on the site. It will list all the current auctions. I was able to save $40 off buying from a local store. If you have to buy two, and are not in a great hurry, I would give it a shot. You can probably save around $100 by doing it this way. Another hint if you decide to go this route. Know how much you want to pay ahead of time and don't go over that amount (including postage). Hope this helps and good luck.

Jay

I had two Lowrance x-65s on my former boat, and the one in the dash was never quite "right". I suspect interference from the one up front. When it was right, it was a good unit.

I just purchased a Garmin 168 GPS/Sonar unit, and absolutely love it, the amount of detail it has is incredible.

So, when I would personally go with the Garmin 240 or 160.

Now, I just have to figure out what to put "up front" that won't interfere with the 168.

Jay - long time EBay purchaser, so I know what you are saying. I have looked there, and some items are definitely worth effort. I have found some Garmin's via 3 Rivers Marine, that are priced good. They also have a good reputation for service after the sale.

I'm very much leaning towards either 2 240's, but really want to save a few pennies. Besides, I don't use the front unit 'searching' as much as I do the back.

I have owned the LMS-240, Garmin 240, the X-75, and am currently using the X-85 and the Garmin 168 Map/Sounder. As a fish finder only, the X-85 is superior to the Garmin 240, but originally much more money (both have 240X240 resoultion). I think now that the X-85 has been discontinued (replaced by the X-91) there may be some good deals on one.

Russ

Back