Garmin Fishing Hot Spots

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teri C.

Reaction score
I bought the Fishing Hots Spots for the East. I finally took a look at it last night. I figured out how to zoom in and see lakes. However, I was a bit disappointed there was no data available for the "Fishing Areas". Am I missing something?

I see some areas marked as "Fishing Area" but there is no information about that area, like text. On the paper maps, they give a blurp like....This area is good in the springtime for crappie. Look for submerged timber, etc. Does this software contain any additional information about the lake or is it just a picture map?

I'll look when I'm at home. I thought mine did, but I am an old worn out veteran so I could be wrong. What I'm confused about is how you can "zoom in and see lakes." On my Garmin, I go to a page that is specifically for each lake in the region.

Maybe I haven't unlocked something. I was confused about their unlock codes and whether I needed one or not. I installed the CD and the picture started out as a map (like a roadmap) of the east region). You can click on the state and start zooming in until you see the lake you want. I just kept zooming in on the lake until I started to see depths and structures. The CD came with Mapsource instructions but they weren't specific to Fishing Hot Spots CD.

Got it. I don't have the CD; I have the SanDisk that plugs into my unit. I will still look.

You have to unlock the disk. You get the unlock code from Garmin in an email. When you are installing, it asks for your unlock code. Once everything is installed you should see a drop down menu at the top middle of the screen. If you've installed everything correctly "Fishing Hot Spots" will be one of the drop down choices. With it selected go to a lake that is covered on the disk and zoom in to about 1 mile. You should start to see features on the map such as campgrounds and launch ramps. You will also see Fishing areas as lined areas that have a number and a name. If you right click on the area you will get a menu that says "Map Feature-Fishing HotSpot #X". Left click on that and you will get another menu with the choice, "Feature Properties". That will give you the fishing info. Take it from me, it's pretty sparse. The depth lines and marina locations are useful but I rarely use the fishing spots feature. Hope this helps.

NoCAL

The CD never asked me for an unlock code. Does this mean I can only install it on one PC? I got the map detail but nothing in the menu says Fishing Hot Spots.

Sorry, you're right, it won't ask for the code when you install. I got a card with step by step directions in the box when I got mine. I'll list the steps here: First you install the MapSource CD, then you go to the Garmin website and add in the code you got from your coupon. The coupon should be in the box. You enter the code and the serial number from the GPS unit and they give you an unlock code. Then go back to MapSource and hit Control + U. Select ADD and Paste in the 25 digit unlock code you recieved from Garmin and all the features should become available. You are only allowed two unlock codes. So you can have two GPS units and give them the serial numbers for two unlock codes. Those could then be used for two computers. Once you have used the unlock code, you can't install it anywhere else. If you don't have the coupon that came in the box, you might try calling Garmin but they probably won't be sympathetic. I've seen the Fishing Hot Spots CD for sale on E-bay. If it isn't new in the box, there is no way you could use it. The coupon that you need is in the unopened box. Once you have unlocked the CD, it should function as I described. The Fishing Hot Spots are on the map. There isn't any menu item you need to access. They are just areas on the map that are labeled.

It's pretty complicated!

NoCAL

Terri,

There is a way to get to the notes on your computer, but I have simply forgotten how to do that. I just remember that it took me a while to figure that part out.

On the water, you aren't going to be able to get to the notes.

Tex

Thanks, NoCal. I remember seeing a card in the box. I will look when I get home. I don't have the GPS unit yet. It's "in the mail". I bought the CD from Bass Pro. I think it's kind of stupid that you can only unlock it if you have a GPS unit. Some people might want to mark up a map at home but not depend on it on the water.

Teri...

If you are looking at the lakes on your PC, use the Arrow and point it toward the HotSpot you are looking at, for example..... Fishing Area 21 Then right click with your mouse and a pulldown menu should appear with Map Features..... Look for Map Features-"Fishing Area 21" and right click that..... Another menu will appear the go to Feature Properties......

At Least thats how it works with mine. Once you load the desired Lake maps to your unit it is also possible to read the same info while your out on the lake off of your Garmin...

Hope this helps...

Mike

Good instructions, MAT! That's exactly how it works on the PC.

On GPS units, it works differently depending on which unit you use. My 176C requires me to put the cursor on the fish symbol and then hit ENTER. My brothers e-Trex requires him to put the cursor on the fish symbol, press the cursor button in, select the name of the Fishing Area, then press the cursor button in again to get to the text.

WOO HOO!!!

We got ourselves a smart one in MAT.

It worked ! It worked ! and I didn't use any code. I installed the CD on 2 PC's and they both work without a code.

I actually got to the dropdown menu yesterday, I just didn't have it directly highlighting the Fishing Area.

I am sure this won't help my fishing much but at least it gives me something else to do at work. :D

Teri,

Glad the info was helpfull...... Wasnt sure which unit you have so that is why I did not go into how to view the Properties on the water.... I'm sure you will figure out how to navigate thru the system, I was also a bit puzzled at first but by trial and error was able to learn how it all works...

Have fun,

Mike

Heck Teri,You just need a pole and some bait..You'll be fine...:D:D:D JR

You only need the code if you want to download it to your GPS unit. You don't need the code to use it on your PC.

Tex

My GPS should be delivered today. I bought the Garmin 276C to use in the car and on the boat so I shoud get my dollar out of it. Thanks for all your help! I am sure I will be asking more questions once I get it. :wacko:

I received my Garmin 276C and set it up this weekend. I was able to get the maps loaded and it's awesome. I am super happy with my purchase. I only have a 128MB card which held about 3 states of street detail and about 6 lakes. I wish their data cards weren't so dang expensive. Garmin sure knows how to stick it to you but they make a good product.

Teri,

If you use the unlock code take absolutely everything on that CD!!!!!!!!!!!!.

I installed 6 Garmin units on Navy vessels and each one had specific region codes. If you don't take everything off the CD with the first unlock code you WILL need to buy another code, even though you have the CD and a prior code.

If you don't select every location or map indicated you will not be a happy "camper"

Mike

Mike,

I loaded everything from each CD to 2 PC's (laptop and home). I had to unlock the City Select but not the Fishing Hot Spots. Both CD's will not fit on a 128MB data card. If each CD is transferred to my PC, shouldn't I be able to transfer data back and forth whenever I want to?

Thanks for the advice!

Teri

Latest posts

Back