fuel filters

• Thread starter robert e morgan
  • Start date
Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robert e morgan

Reaction score
i have installed new fuel filter . it is one with glass bowl to catch junk and water , actually made for older tractors. :having trouble with water in gas: made two fishing trips . no problems, running great. third time out get overheat peeper. have removed water pump , impeller actually looks good,will pick new one this morn. ? does anyone think the fuel filter may be cause or have experience with this type of filter a on boat engine ? motor is 1995 merc 60hp 3 cyl not a real gas gulper.:unsure:

First, the "glass" filter is a no-no on that {or any} outboard. Get rid of it and install a true "water-separating" fuel filter. These can be bought at any Mercury Dealer. Second, the "peeper". Did you hear a constant beep tone, indicating an overheat, or an intermittent beep tone, which would signify an oil related issue?

Bob B - can you elaborate on why the "glass" bottom fuel filters are a no-no? I have one made by Moeller on my Yamaha outboard and its worked fine for a year now. It was designed for outboards with has a high flow rate. Not sure why you believe they are bad?

At Olefisherman - I'd make sure the flow rate on the filter was appropriate for your engine. You can get an alarm for fuel starvation similar to the overheat if the filter is not allowing enough gas to go through the lines.

I've seen the glass filters crack. Not nearly as durable as the plastic ones. Don't know about the rest of the world, but I don't like fuel leaks of any kind.

As far as the motors warning system, it WILL NOT tell you of a fuel starvation problem. :blink:

Thanks for the clarification Bob - my filter bottom is plastic. Guess its okay. Sounds like it should be okay for OFM too if that's what he has as well.

Also thanks for the feedback on Merc motors. For clarification, the Johnson 150 outboard that I have on the family deckboad does have an alarm for fuel starvation and that's what I was referring to. Of course, I defer to your greater knowledge and experience on Merc motors (of which I have very little!).

@Bob B.

I have a 01 Nitro with the 90hp Merc on it and I put the glass cylinder type filter on it, Atwood brand. I will be taking it off now and putting on the plastic/paper type filter. I am also thinking of putting the spin on filter inline in the bilge area from BPS. My question is, am I over filtering? I am having a problem with an amber glass like substance (resin maybe) getting in my filter and clogging it up causing my boat to slow to a stop but still idle fine?? wierd. I see your posts everywhere and you have been very helpful for me so far, Thanks.

(sorry to butt in on your post olefisherman)

You're welcome. If the proper filters are used, and your fuel pump {and system} are serviced regularly, you are NOT over-filtering IF Merc products are being used. Go back to the plastic in-line that your motor was equipped with, and install a genuine Merc water-sep filter. Check anti-siphon valves, replace fuel line and primer bulb with OEM IF it is not the newer ethanol resistant type, and.....no worries....;)

Back