Front drag vs. rear drag

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeffrey Durham

Reaction score
What is the difference between a front drag vs. rear drag on a spinning reel and which is better on the Spirex?:) Thanks all, Jeff

Functionally they both perform the same task. Its mainly a preference thing on front vs rear drag. I prefer the front drag mainly because its much simpler, it wont break and its easier to service shuld you ever need to change the washers.

My son and I fish spinning reels only. On the front drags we have a lot of problems with them working themselves tight and locking down. The rear drags are the only way we go now. Doesn't matter the brand either. Front drags have been a problem.

Ed,

I agree, my front drag reels seem to loosen up by themselves while the rear-drag stay at the correct position, the Spirex adds another nice feature to the rear drag model, it is like having two pre-set positions for your drag, it's called fighting drag or something?

CJL

Fatrap,

You back reel? What about when you have one dive under the boat when it get's close, I don't think I could back-reel that fast, LOL.

Thats strange, i have never had any of my front drags loosen up on me. I have owned them since age 5. I have had one rear drag and to me it was more grief the it was ever worth.

Front drag will always have bigger dics and thus less heat and friction.

CJL

Chris I just let go. The handle spins around and I let it just lightly slap the palm of my hand then when it stops I start cranking again. I watched them do it on InFisherman TV years ago and adopted it. Works for me also my brother uses the technique. I do have the drag set but harder than you normally would. I've caught four pounders with this method and also a five pound rainbow on six pound test last summer walleye fishing in S.D.

You'd be surprised

fatrap

Fatrap,

I will have to try that, it sounds like it takes a lot of practice because the resistance on the line/hook would be inconsistent?

Either way I will try it.

CJL

Chris

You'll be surprised how easy it really is. the spinning handle acts like a drag only the harder the pull the more resistence is applied. I wish I could direct you to a video of them using it that way. Anyhow good luck.

fatrap

Fatrap,

I certainly beleive you can master that, just seems to me that I rely on my drag greatly when tourney fishing and bed fishing, this past Saturday, I had a 3.5lb LM take a lot of drag right after I almost had him in the boat, (I had to lip my fish, no net:angry:). Anyway, maybe I use to light of line for that technique, I use 8lb. and the LM's on Saturday had attitude.

Oh got a question, does that mean you keep your hand, all the time on the handle?

I am interested in this but a little confused. I will give it a shot next weekend.

CJL

Man I wish I could show you a video. I'll try making an Quick Time movie and sending it. I let the handle go when the fish really pulls. I've landed a five pound rainbow on eight pound line a 13 pound carp on four pound line. If you could take your spinning out fit and anchor the end of the line and take off the anti reverse. Then back up letting the handle spin with the palm of your hand slightly open and you let the knob on the handle gentley slap your palm. Grab your handle and crank your self up to where you have the line tied then back up letting the handle go or crank backwards a bit. Oh well I might have to get a video.

fatrap

We currently have a shakespear reel laying in the shop that we used one day. You could watch it tighten up.. Cast out a lure and start to reel it in and the front drag adjustment would start to turn and crank down tighter than a drum by the time you were through the retrieve. We gave up and took it off. Didn't return it as it was a gift from my youngest daughter. We just tell her it works great. She doesn't like to fish so she will never know. White lie doesn't hurt but the reel is no good.

I have never had that problem with Shimano's then again I check it quite often but, have never had the drag to tighten up on it's own.

Just to shed some light, most rear drag reels share the same drag washers that their front drag counterparts use. They are just tightened from the rear of the shaft instead of the front. The drag washers are still located in the spool head. (Refering to Shimanos, BPS, Daiwa as well as many others in particular.) FWIW

Latest posts

Back