Folding tongue pin

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greg J.

Reaction score
Wondering if I'm the only one who pulls the pin out of the folding trailer tongue and stows it after I launch the boat and park the truck and trailer? I guess I just don't trust people enough. Had a friend who had his anchor and stern light stolen right out of his boat while he was stopped at fast-food joint to eat. He was parked out of sight of his rig.

To tell you the truth, I never even thought about it. Now you got me worried! Maybe a small padlock?

I take mine out when I park it in the driveway. I figure it would make it that much harder to steal the boat. I have a lock in the coupler too.

It never occured to me that someone would steal it at the lake they're not worth anything.....are they?

Harpo

Never have pulled mine since I've had it...lock the pin and coupler and faggetaboutit:unsure:

I use a locking hitch pin and coupler pin to make stealing the trailer more difficult. I guess they could always unbolt the hitch ball if they really wanted to.

Paul

Yeah but, with the coupler lock...whatta they gonna do with it?

Get it home and hack the coupling pin off or something like that.

Kids are liable to walk by pull the pin for no reason and chuck in it the ditch for kicks. You can't trust no one no where. Sad but true.

I weld a small spot at the nut thread to eliminate ball removal. I change draw bars when I need another size. Locking the draw bar pin, the tongue pin, and the folding pin is a great way to give a thief another reason to look for an easier target. When I was trailering 30K miles a year I even padlocked the safety chains to the hitch. Although, nothing is foolproof or thief-proof, adding time and frustration is the best you can do. IMO

W/the exception of welding the ball nut (he he he said both ball and nut!!!) I have everything like Dan does. Though I never thought of locking the chains, thats a good idea too.

I'm just sayin' with the ball still attached...how would they hook it up to their vehicle? Persuming the pin to the reciever is locked also....

Around here (Lanier) we've had thieves unbolt the coupler, presumably installing their own, and drive off with trailers at ramps and boats out of driveways. If they think they have the time and want it bad enough, they'll try. If more were dropped in their tracks in the process, we might see less. IMHO

*edit SP

Kids are liable to walk by pull the pin for no reason and chuck in it the ditch for kicks. You can't trust no one no where. Sad but true.

That's what I was speaking of, someone stealing the pin just for the fun of it or pure meaness. I also take my pin out, and fold the trailer tongue sideways while boat is parked in the driveway. I also have a good vinyl-coated cable with lock on my spare, with the cable run around the trailer frame and through the rim. But, as we all know, if someone wants something bad enough they will find a way to take it.

I have a really cheap lock on mine - like Dan said - just make it a little harder target.

I take the pin out to keep someone from walking off with it. At home, I pull the pin, fold the tongue sideways and I also a big Masterlock padlock I put through the top pin hole on the frame. That prevents someone from using a bolt or something else to hold the tongue in place. And, I also lock the coupler.

Latest posts

Back