fluorocarbon issues

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim Duncan

Reaction score
Anyone else out there use fluorocarbon line for their jig? I just started using it 2 tourneys ago, and felt more hits, bottom contour, etc. I caught 11 fish, all on a jig, and weighed in 11.4 lbs. Then, I don't respool, but take off about 20 feet of line for the next tourney (two weeks later), and I break off 2 straight fish on hookset. Is there something that I am missing or is fluoro just something you need to respool often, because at that price, I don't know if I can afford respooling every tourney. Maybe there was just a weak spot in the line, just you wouldn't think it would be that weak that quick. And, the line did not break at the knot. Anyone have any advice? Thanks!

I have been using XPS Flurocarbon for a couple of years now and have never had that problem. I do spray a little Reel Magic on mine after each fishing trip. You might want to see if you have any nicks in your guide's with a piece of cotton. Did the line break at the Knot or further up? I have found out that it's better to really wet the line before you cinch the knot down.

Max <><

You do have to watch it if you have to pick out backlashes... Flourocarbon has a tendency to want to snap at weak points, and backlashes can create them....

What brand/test were you using?

i used Floro for leaders for two seasons... Then, sitting in an adult beverage establishment "reminiscing" (complaining) about two lost fish... I started thinking about the good old days when I used "good" Trilene XL for leaders and didn't lose fish... Doesn't take me long after that to decide what not to use for leaders...

However, I do use #20 Seagaur Floro for tying up crawler harnesses... go figure... I do not have problems with it in that application... I think it is the lack of bottom contact with rocks, etc... that makes it dangerous as leader material but okay for harnesses.

I have been using Floro Clear and have had really good luck..Is floro clear considered a florocarbon line?

I have been using Floro Clear and have had really good luck..Is floro clear considered a florocarbon line?

No... its a "coated" line... pretty much a standard mono after that.

I've been using 14 pound Berkely Vanish. I try to use the smallest diamenter possible due to water clarity. If anyone knows the lower end of Lake Norman, you'll know what I mean. I am thinking of going to 17 pound, but I'm also just thinking about going back to the mono I always used. I just like the feel of the fluoro. Anyway, I just thought I would try and get some answers. Thanks all.

P.S. Not that I'm positive, but those two fish may have cost me about $500.00. I did see both of them jump with jig in mouth and guessing they were 2 1/2 to 3 pound fish. So, even if they were 2 pounders, I was 4 punds out of good money.:angry: We'll just have to go get 'em next time. Oh, and GO BUCKEYES!!!!!!

I use Berkley line (mono) albeit a discontinued series, exclusively. Vanish has proven itself to be very snap prone. My tournament partner used it for the first few tournies last year and it broke a lot. I have heard these complaints for a long time on a lot of boards. If they haven't re-formulated it then they better because the word is out on it. I do use SPRO's fluro and it has performed very well. Carlos really uses it and likes it.

TOXIC

I have been looking at spro's Toxic, so I'm glad to hear some good news on it. I also have heard Cabela's has a very good line. I looked at the price and it's about half of BPS's. I'll have to do some more checking I guess.

I use alot of P-Line fluoro,and have had it break a couple times,at the knot,and where ever the line was kinked from a previous backlash.Best knot I have found for fluoro is a palomar,and wet it real good while tightening it down,and since using a palomar,have not had any breaks at the knot.

Jim,

Try the Seagar Flourocarbon line... I've not had any issues with it... I use 12# on my jig setups and 8 on my spinning... its the best flouro I've found yet for the spinning gear.

Used to use P-line, never did like the Berkley Vanish, and I;ve used the $50 sunline from japan... Seagar is getting my money right now.

Per Berkley:

What should anglers watch out for when using Vanish Transition?

There are several

When I used Vansih it always broke above the knot. It looked almost like I had bad spots on my rod guides (the line would fray). I tried different rods and a few different boxes of line and I got the same result. Several members from my club have had the same reults.

Donnie

Hey moc, kinda sounds like damage control doesn't it?:lol: You can bet they (Berkley) have gotten a lot of complaints to make them address it specifically. My tourney partner is also one of Teddy's guides and he knows how to tie palomars:p:p.

I use SPRO because they are a sponsor and the price is right:p. I let Carlos try some and he really likes it. Marketwise, you can find the SPRO on sale a lot of the time. Even at regular price, I think it is cheaper than most.

TOXIC

I had never tried fluorocarbon, but was going to this year. I may rethink that now, after reading all the post. I have few issues with mono and alot of confidence in it, so that may be the way for me to go.

HP

Tried it at Dale Hollow and hated it....it seemed the shale rock and fluoro don't go together for me:(

Latest posts

Back