Flippin and Pitchin Lines

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tony Britt

Reaction score
Just moved up to the front of the boat and was wondering what line is good for flipping and pitching. Right now the flippin rod is too heavy to pitch with, so I just use it for tossing a buzzbait in close or flippin with 25# test. I pitch on a 7 foot bionic rod with 20# test. Soonerfan mention, power braid... Never heard of it. I need to cut down on the number of rods and lures in the boat. Right now it looks like I'm a one man BPS. Can anyone enlighten me on this line or a good choice of pitchin/flippin lines?

I would recommend the new Spiderwire "Stealth" in 50# test. This stuff is awesomeeeeeeeeee!!!!

Tony

Here is a link for you. I have used 30# Power Pro for about a year now and can find no fault with it at all. I use it on a 7'6" BPS heavy action rod with a Shimano Curado SF reel. I fish worms and jigs with this rig mostly. Most of my fishing is in heavy timber so hauling off and casting is usually not an option. You can find it just about anywhere such as BPS or Acadmey. I have not seen it at Wal-Mart.

I bought a spool of 20#Spiderwire Stealth to use on my crankbait rod, but have not loaded it yet. I bought it because of its extreamly small diameter will get me an extra foot or two of depth. But like I said the trees on the lake I fish on most of the time don't let me fish that type of lure very often.

Hope this helps.

Harpo
http://www.powerpro.com/

power pro is an awesome line which will give you instant feedback when you get a bite and super abrasion resistent. if you have not used a braided line before, remember that you do not have to set the hook as hard cause the line does not stretch. personally, i'm not real crazy about it for pitchin especially in the wind and it is almost too limp for the control i like to have on the line and it seems to be a bit easier to backlash or get those woofers. i like the silver-thread copolymer lines and especially the silver thread excaliber as it seems to be very limp, super abrasion resistant, and has the lowest memory of any line i've ever tried exept for the braided ones. maybe i'm a bit old fashioned, but i don't like braded lines for pitchin. I love power pro for cat fishing though! let us know what you end up using and how it turns out.

jd

I guess it's what you get used to. I used Spiderwire Fusion for years on my spinning reel, before I got the boat. To me just about any mono I use seems like a stiff coil of spring wire. I hear about the limpness of Silver Thread and Iron Silk, but frankly I don't see it--compared to Power Pro that is. I get just as much backlash and rod tip wrap with mono as with braid. With the braided line I get lots more sensitivity and because I tend to be a tentitave hook setter, I get better hook sets. I guess that's why they make more than one kind--huh?

BTW for you guys thinking about trying braided line they are not all the same. Lines like Power Pro and Spiderline Spiderwire (red box) are true braided lines. Others like Spiderline Fusion and Berkley Fireline are made with a differant process. They are fibers that are fused together to form one line. It is my experance that although the fused lines have many of the desireable traits of braided line, they do not have the incredable abrasion resistance of braided.

Harpo

Ok guys,

I use the fusion for my drop shotting and I think its an awesome line with great sensitivity - but most importantly is has a small diameter and doesn't break easy. I want that kind of stuff for my pitching, but with the ability to use it for flipping in heavy vegetation and other areas. Here in the south I'm just becoming a regular victim to fish loss in grass, hydrilla and lilly pads and it's killing me.

One of the drawbacks to braided lines, is it is very visable in clear water. When I think of Florida I think of gin clear water. 30 or even 50 lb braided will be thinner than 14 or 20 lb. mono but it's non-transparancy could be a liability in very clear water. You could try using a felt tip marker to mark strips across the line while it's on the reel. This will break up the line the bass sees.

If clear water is not an issue then braided line is made for your situation. You'll pull in both bass & grass.

Harpo

Hey, that's the plan and the smaller diameter line will also allow me to increase the distance of my pitches and flips.

I heard something recently on one of the Saturday morning fishing shows that bass can't distinguish anything that it is less thick than a nickel..... Anyone ever hear anything about that?

me?

Scott, there goes every tail on soft plastics. Also, every touring pro would look stupid if that were true. My prop isn't thicker than a nickel :). I think a fish would distinguish being hit by it.

soonerfan,

you won't see any mono as limp as the power-pro braided line. the comparison to the silver thread excaliber was in comparison to a lot of other mono or copolymer type lines i have tried.

jd

Power Pro is the best braid I have found. If you like to use braid fro flipping give it a try, remember the line will not stretch so back off on the drag and/or use a softer rod to eliminate ripping the jaws off of fish.

Mini

OK,

after losing a fish this weekend. I'm going to start trying some of these new fangled likes. However, is there a trick to setting the drag that I need to know about. I don't want to pop a rod or have my waranty voided because I was using a superline.

tony

Also put a little elec tape or mono backer on. With aluminum or magnesium spools, the entire "role" of line will slip on the spool and you will thing the drag is broken. Tony, as for the drag, back it off until you have enough resistance to set the hook but not so much that you snap the rod or tear a 3" hole in the jaw of the fish that he can spit a 2 oz jig out of!

Hey, I tried backing off the drag and nearly lost a 3.5 pounder this weekend. the drag was so loose,I set it loose so the hook would rip its lip, that I thought the fish had gotten away.It was a tough fishing weekend for us down here and that fish could probably cost some folks in my club some money. Luckily, though, not me. I just tighted it a little bit after that.

I said back off a bit....not all the way on the drag...lol

Or use a softer rod...

Mini

that's a good suggestion. I was told if I was drop shoting with a six foot rod to use a medium light rod, but if it was 6'6 rod to use a medium light. Right now I'm fishing with a 6'6 medium and I definately believe the stiffness of the rod has affected the action of my bait as well as the effectiveness of my line. One I get a fish hooked past the barb, I'm not worried about him breaking off. Just getting him past the barb has been the most recent problem.

Latest posts

Back