Fishing Winneconne with Greg Meyer, Tox, and Corey

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tim Jeffers

Reaction score
I'm not sure where to start, but.....

After everyone agreed to meet in Winneconne at 6:30 am Monday, Toxic was the only no-show. He finally calls at around 7:00, and he's LOST! No problem, we just pull out the map and talk him into Winneconne kinda like air traffic control talking to a stewardess trying to land the plane (I think those were Greg Meyer's words!). I'm sure Tox will try to tell you that his map was just wrong-LOL!

I'll leave it to the other guys to tell you how tough the fishing was, but I have to say that these guys are TOP SHELF! Tox was a gracious host to Greg and I on his boat, and there was no shortage of BS (mostly from the front of the boat :) ).

Corey and Tox had to leave Monday night, But Greg Meyer took my friend and me out on his deep-V on Tuesday for "Walleye Fishing 101". It was like the Keystone Cops on that boat most of the day, but we did manage to get 3 walleyes and 2 nice catfish in the livewell before the weather chased us off the lake around 3:00 pm.

THANK YOU GREG, TOX, AND COREY FOR SHOWING ME A GREAT TIME ON THE WATER! YOU GUYS ROCK!

TJ

TJ, after a little "familiarization", you and Tom did just fine. It's a little overwhelming the first time to have all that "gear" flying/floating around... I just hope you were satisifed with the "instructional" fishing and had a good time.

And, TJ...

No report about the Rapala-in-the-head-guy... I'm disappointed... for a "pre-emptive strike, your report was pretty weak...

They all want to know about your wet hat... And, "the crawler is an important part of a crawler harness".

Did someone forget to put a harness on the crawler when they took him for a walk? Or was it kinda like one of those things kids have - the leash with no dog in it? LOL!!

OK - here's the rest of the story...

As we were preparing to launch the boats on Monday morning, this guy comes off the lake with a chrome/blue shad rap buried in the side of his head. Only one of the treble hooks, but it was buried pretty good.

Greg went to work without missing a beat - snipping the lure off and then gives the guy a choice to let him (Greg) get the hook out, or go to the ER. The guy tells Greg to "have at it", Greg ties some fishing line around the hook, and with one VERY impressive snap of the wrist, the hook is out of this guys scalp.

Then, after cleaning up the wound and applying some Bacitracin, he even put this guys shad rap back together for him (you're not gonna get that from the ER!).

I have the impression there's almost nothing Greg isn't prepared for.

Heck, he even managed to boat some of the TINIEST Bass I've ever seen. I can't figure out how he managed to hook such teeny tiny little fish, but he did it somehow!

As for the wet hat, and the crawler harness, I have NO idea what you're talking about, Greg!

TJ

Ahhh.... "Tiniest bass"... While is is true I am not a "orthodontically challenged...pursuer of green carp..." (read...toothless bass fisherman) I did, while mimicing my "friends" (with a very loose and liberal definition) manage to snag some smaller green carp... TJ caught the only real green carp... (in Tox's boat)... Tox caught real cute minature fish (but since he is still unavailable to defend himself...I will heap only cursory abuse on him)... Now for the rest of the details of the trip...

On Saturday, using my wit and charm... I was able to arrange with a member of the Fremont, Wisconsin Chamber of commerce for us to dine in the finiest establishment in town (read the only place open on Monday!) after the bartender/waitress/manager arranged to borrow some raw hamburgers from the place next door (that was not open but was apparenly occupied!)... I entered this fine establishment (through the back door!) and asked if she was prepared to feed five obnoxious drunnken fisherman... When she said "no..." I said "good"... they aren't drunk yet... but they are definitely obnoxious and might be fishermen!!! She survived our visit... but is psychologically scarred for the rest of her life!

We had a great day of "fishing"... boat riding, really! I will wait for Tox's appearance to explain how we almost lost him at our morning coffee stop...

Sunday, with a weather report of approaching severe thunder storms we didn't stray far from the resort. I had promised TJ a few pointers on trolling techniques (the finer art of fishing for walleyes). So we started out in the stetch of the Wolf River right by the resort. We trolled crankbaits first so that TJ and his friend Tom ( a real nice guy who did reluctantly admitted he was one of the "friends" that TJ admits he has to "buy") could get comfortable with working with line counters and trolling "boards" (planar boards). When we moved south of the bridge I had them switch to crawler harnesses. That's when TJ's trouble started... As his "friend" Tom watched him TJ began to let out the line on one of his two rods.... Tom interrupted him and stated... "Tim, the crawler (meaning a nice fat juicy nightcrawler that is usually attached to the two bait holder hooks on the crawler harness) is an important part of a "crawler harness".... I had been wondering why Tim wasn't catching any fish... Oh well!... Fortunately for me, at least Tom had some experience and was a quick learner... so my day of teaching Walleye 101 was not a total waste!!!! LOL But I was somewhat disappointed in Tom later in the day...

We kept three nice "eater" sized walleyes and two beautiful channel cats... Tom was easily tricked into cleaning them all for Tim... But, then maybe Tom was just being sensible and keeping Tim away from sharp objects like a fillet knife.

Oh, when you see Tim ask him how he arranged for Tom to fish for hats... Black Bass Pro hats are easy to net from the downwind side of the boat... And, apparently they are easy to find if you watch them fly off your head into the water... But, do ask Tim, I was just the boat driver.

Only the threat of severe thunderstorms and winds at around 40 mph (too much for my kicker motor to allow precise boat control!) drove us off the water.

As far as fish go...I brought in about 10-12 bass, none longer than 15 inches, and we had about 5 encounters with the Northern...biggest was in the 35 inch range. I don't think we ever got on a pattern worth mentioning...just a fish here and a fish there all day long. (Senko, Buzzbait, Jig, and crankbait)

Reguardless it was a good time with friends...you had to feel for the guy witht he Rapala and his tramatized son.

I just never knew them walleye boats could go

fast

enough

to

blow

a

guy's

hat

off! :)

TJ

ROTFLMJNO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That was the best fishing report I have ever read.

I hear Tox is "on the road, again". So between Wisconsin and DC look for the glowing fireball of fast food gas!

I'm back safe and sound....kinda......decided to drive through the night. Left yesterday at about 11:00am and pulled in the house about 7:00am this morning. I am on a caffiene buzz right now. I'll post when I see just 1 keyboard!!

TOXIC

Ok, one nap later and a few downloads and I can sketch out some of the festivities. As always the company is better than the fishing no matter what. Lemme see......High points.....?????

Setting the hook on Greg's shirt pocket....Hey, you climb on the front deck with me and you take your life in your hands. Problem was that Greg was more than willing to take my life in his hands and he said he would if I did that again!!LOL!!!Water was stained really bad but we did manage to get our string pulled a few times.

Picture time......Here is the Greg and the guy with the hook that just got yanked outta his scalp (don't tell him but we used the piece of scalp for bait later in the day.
IMG0211.JPG

And as for 1 blonde bartender, it was obvoius she was hypnotized by my golden tan and witty conversation. Problem was that Greg was slobbering in his beer mug faster than he could drink out of it, beer was weak but he didn't need a refil!!

We pulled up on a funky looking marina and Greg decided he needed coffee so I'm standing on the front of the 9 holding a huge dock pole. Well, this wakeboard boat went by and for some reason the waves came in at an angle and cadence that I was not used to and for the first time, I almost got tossed in the drink. I literally got catapaulted into the air and away from the boat. The only thing that save me was that on the way down, I was able to kick the dock piling whitch chaned my trejectory just enough to land flat on my back in the boat, came down like a ton of bricks!! I was laughing until I realized that I came down on my rods and that now I probably had 6 sets of trebels in my back!! Wasn't the case and came away unscathed....

Here's where I caught most of my fish on the chain......ooops...sorry dear, I really was out fishing all day (the Harbor Bar)
IMG0209.JPG

Try taking a 24ft pontoon through here!! I did about 5 times a day!! When the wind was up (which it was all week) it could be quite interesting!!
IMG0196.JPG

Oh yeah... Tox was the "hero" all the time!!!!! And, just like when he snorkeled into Tokyo Bay with the surreneder papers... everything came out just fine! Fine, despite his efforts and participation!

I note with some serious consideration (and you, the reader, should, too!) That he does not directly, indirectly, or in any manner deny or refute references to his ability to capture/catch "minature" fish... I rest my case!

Finally, it is true, that in real southern redneck tradition Tox has a "golden tan"... However, if the ability to string together three two syllable words in uttered phrases is "witty conversation"... I have personally authored equivalents to the Gettysburg Address, and Washington's farewell to his troops while responding to the "voice" in the Jack in the box drive through... If Tox is "suave" and "debonair" ... it must be his evil twin that is always around me!!!

Sounds like a GREAT time to me!

I can just imagine the wit and humor that flowed between the two of you! Meyer kept me going when I fished with him a couple of years ago..... I hope you both make it to the Rally next year so we can all have a sampling!

Forgot to post about the tornado that went about 1 mile from the cottage then when I was going to meet the guys (in the heavy fog) I ran over a pile of debris about 4 feet thick. The truck jumped it no problem but the boat trailer and boat wasn't so lucky!! Oh well........

TOXIC

Aw shucks - no picture of the guy with the day's "big bass"?

Glad you got home safe, Tox! Thanks again for taking me on the boat. I really enjoyed it!

TJ

I'm not so sure you are going to like it because the pic doesn't give the fish credit. It was a nice fish. Anyway, you asked for it so here it is........

TOXIC
IMG0212.jpg

As I recall... he pulled that fish out of an area that we had both "fished"...

I wasn't going to say anything, Greg. But now that you mention it, I think you might be right about that:>).

TJ

Latest posts

Back