Whoops

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark Hofman

Reaction score
Got sideswiped by a semi last Thursday while towing the boat down to Table Rock Lake in the middle of our batch of Gustav rain. The semi drifted over into my lane and the next thing I know I'm fighting for control of the truck and trailer. My dad, out from Colorado, shouted a warning to me but I wasn't looking to the side. I had my eyes focused on my lane and his shout initially had me searching in the rain for something in my lane. Then *BANG* and I'm trying to keep my rig from jack-knifing.

The worst part about it was that the guy actually sped up and wouldn't stop even when we tried to get him to pull over. Dad said he was either talking on the cell phone (headset) or was listening to his music on headphones. I ran him down, dad got the license plate of the trailer and the cab number on the tractor, then we pulled off the interstate to wait for the police to show up.

The passenger side of my truck has various scapes, dings and one big dent back by the now-broken tailight. The front passenger door doesn't open. The impact caused the boat trailer to swing around and hit the semi's van on it's back corner, cutting my rub rail and putting some nice deep scratches and one big dent in the gunwale. The cover is torn.

DSC_0018.JPG

This sucks. You try to take care of your stuff and one moment of inattention wipes all your effort away. I don't even know how to get the boat damage repaired, and will lose the use of my truck for probably a week. Still, I have to count my blessings. None of us was hurt. Neither ran into anyone else or caused a bigger accident. The truck is a truck and the boat is a boat. I couldn't replace my dad.

There's a silver lining to all this, and Greg will get a kick out of it. We launched onto Table Rock Lake around six that evening, and I caught my very first walleye - a 23" fish that weighed between 3 and 4 pounds. His name was Fred. Thursday night his name gets changed to 'supper.'

IMG_0455.JPG

Thanks for letting me unload a bit.

Oh, and since I've sort of dropped off the earth for the past several months, just wanted to let folks know some good news. I was accepted into grad school and will be going for an MBA while working part-time for my current employer. Life takes some funny turns at times.

Congrats on the very nice "real fish" (one with teeth!). And, very big congrats on the school thing... Always time to learn something... And, no matter the result it is always good to wade into a new endeavor...:D

Sorry about the boat and truck...:( I am sure you will eventually get that settled...:cool:

I'm sory about the damage to your boat, cover, trailer, etc. but am very happy neither you or your Dad got hurt in any way!:) Good luck in school too!!

Uncle Billy

Nice fish, Bad deal.

You should come out OK. If your car and boat are pretty new ask for loss of value due to owning a wrecked boat and truck. Whomever was driving that truck will be charged with hit and run, translated= you own him.

The boat/trailer is a 2001 with an '02 motor; the truck is an '03 Dodge 2500 quad cab Ram. Both the boat and the truck insurance companies have been in contact and I'm on my way out to get repair estimates for the truck.

Dad caught a nice Ozark smallmouth (not anything like Erie, Champlain or St. Clair, but good for these parts). All in all it was a successful fishing weekend.

Hey MoFish, hate to hear that about your truck and boat. Hope everything goes favorable for you in getting it settled.

Just a quick Table Rock story back at you. A buddy and I went for a 1/2 day on Saturday. We put in at Eagle Rock, pulled a few off the bank on topwater by the bridge right at first light, and then ran to Owl's creek. Pulled a couple of more off the bank and then started chasing schoolies. The rain came in and chased us off about 11:15 right as we boated number 50 for the morning. All came on topwater, mainly chugs and pop'rs, except for 2 my buddy caught swimming a grub through the schoolies.

I think we had 4 largemouths and 1 smallmouth, everything else was a Kentucky. Through the 50, we only had a few over 15", but it was still a blast. Every other fish we caught was throwing up shad. I had one 13 1/2 spot that puked up a nice bright red crawfish.

We wouldn't have done squat in a tournament on that pattern, but boy it sure was fun. I think we ended with 3 doubles and my buddy had a two-fer on a chug at one point. Definitely a day for the books.

I saw your post on another site regarding the fishing but didn't read about the excitment on the highway. Glad to hear everyone was ok and you got to fish. Very scary. You have the right frame of mind. Stuff is stuff and can be repaired or replaced. People are the only thing important when it comes down to it.

It's about time for me to get in some fall fishing at Table Rock. This weekend looks to be a washout though with Ike coming through. If it wasn't for family commits I would fish in the rain just to get out.

Sorry to hear about the accident Mo. Glad you had a great time. Even more glad that the accident wasn't worse.

Well, at least my auto insurance company has done alright by me. A quality claims person from the company came to my office and went over the truck part by part with me present taking him through it. He even caught some stuff the estimators and I missed. I showed him three separate written estimates (one was really low-balled) and told him where I wanted to take it for repairs. He is calling the shop right now to arrange for direct payment and my rental car while the truck is undergoing surgery. There was NO haggling or bickering about what needs to be done to make this right. I'll even get my deductible back when they settle with the other guy's insurance.

Now I just hope that my boat insurance guy is as straight and customer-service sensitive as my car company.

Nick, believe it or not I have NO idea where all those places you named are. I just don't know the lake that well. We launch at the State Park Marina ramp and usually fish opposite the dam. This time we ran toward Kimmerling City and found a rock face that produced some nice Ozark smallies. Dad hooked up a 14" fish (took a picture) but the rest were around 12. No largemouths were harmed during the filming of this trip, but those smallmouths are sore from the treble hooks. Oh...and I hold the record for the world's hungriest smallmouth - a six inch fish who slammed a five inch suspending Rogue.

MOBass....OzarkAnglers.com?

Sounds like they are doing you right. Glad to hear that.

Eagle Rock is southwest down on the White. It's a quick jaunt for us from Bentonville. We try and get up and fish a few times a year on the Rock sometimes launching at Kimberling City as well. Other than that, I can't say I know the lake that well and rely on my partner for the hot spots. I really enjoy the lake and it often fishes completely different than Beaver Lake back home.

Ouch..:( But as you said, it could have been alot worse. Thank God it wasn't.

Steve

Latest posts

Back