Fishing Glasses, what are you looking through??

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Foster

Reaction score
For the last year or so I have been using the FLW glasses from Wal-Mart in the blue mirror or green mirror lenses.they are ok, but I know there is much better glasses out ther. I was thinking about Solar Bats in that mossback green color.

What brand and style do you all wear and why?

Thanks

John

Make sure you get 100% ultraviolet A&B proof,.....Everyone touts "Blocks 100% of ultraviolet rays"

but it's the B rays that cause the damage.........I use "Icicles"...they're awesome......but Hobie Sightmasters will be my next pair. I prefer the brown colored lenses.....they show the weed edges on cloudy days much better than green lenses....in my opinion. (And they also work just fine on bright days!!)

Mac

Icicles??

Who makes them? or is that the brand?

Got a link to them anywhere?

John,

I used to use the Strike King "Denny Brauers" but last year I switched the FLW brand like you. I break, scratch, or lose so many pairs, I cannot afford a $200 pair of Del Mars or H2optics. I know the $15 FLW are polarized and offer 100% uv protection, and when compared to the more expensive, I found that the cheaper lens' allowed me to see better. Just my .02. I'm never caught on the water without them. I'm a BIG sight fisherman in the prespawn and my specs are invaluable to me. I keep 2-3 pairs in the boat mostly amber lenses but usually 1 pair of grey in with them too.

Rob,

I procrastinated for year against buying an expensive pair of sunglasses. "I would never shell out that kind of monsy for glasses, when I can get 'em for 15$"

then I read up on eye care, and a friend of mine convinced me to try H2optics...so I paid $150 (a deal)and gave in.

I don't know if my eyes are more protected now...it's not an immediately mesurable thing. But I can say this: I can see much better in the water. I've had to lend my new glasses to partners, so they could se what i could...

But the biggest change is this: My eyes don't work as hard in bright sunny days. i have seen a very big difference in how I feel at the end of a long tournament day. I'm not as tired, I attribute this directly to the glasses. I think my eyes don't have to work as hard to see throught the glare, and that results in a more relaxed ME at the end of the day.....i'll take it!

I use the brown lenz also...

Pierre

Hobie.....GLASS Sightmaster lenses in the eclipse frame for sightfishing and cloudy days. GLASS Copper lenses in the eclipse frame for sunny days. A friend of mine sells them (dealers are hard to find). Email me of you want more information on how to get in touch with my friend....

Mini

Ive been using maui jim glasses for a couple of years now. they are the best ive found to date. the thing i really like oabout them is they are polarized on both sides of the lens. it really helps cut the glare you get from the back on really sunnny days. im sure you guys know what im talking about. if the suns to your back sometimes you get glare from the lens. on these that dosent happen. great glasses

Since I wear prescription eyeglasses I use Fit-Overs. Work great for me.

Mike

John,

I have always relied on visualy using my eyes to locate fish and or habitat that would hold fish, I look for the dark weed lines on the delta the darker tops of flooded willows on shasta and the lighter or darker edges of humps or breaks.

In the last couple of years seeing fish themselves has won me a couple of seconds and a new boat.

The thing about good glasses is they have to be comfortable to be worn all day long. They also need to protect your eyes from damaging sun even on cloudy days. Not ot be left out they have to provide a clear view not fuzzy like some cheaper specs you can buy.

My choice and not a sponsor, Hobie (Anchor) in the Brown color and Hobie (Sightmasters) in the Yellow!

One more plus for GLASS lenses, they dont scratch easily, cause we all know life in the boat can get rough on equipment.

Rip Lips,

GregG

John,

Last year I got a pair of fishing glasses from a company called ELTON OPTICAL. I saw their advertisement in the back of Bassmaster magazine. They have advertised in there for many years. I called them for recommendations. I ended up buying a pair of WRAPTORS in a polycarbonate lens. They have many lens colors to choose from plus they do prescriptions if you need it. They also have several styles. My pair ended up costing about $55.00. They have been the best sunglasses I have ever owned. I wear them everywhere. I especially like the safety of polycarbonate lenses(I have young kids that sometimes cast wildly) and they are 100% uva & uvb safe. If you have an issue of Bassmaster they are in the back. If not their phone number is 1-800-636-9270 websit is www.eltonoptics.com. Oh by the way, they are also polarized lenses. Looking in Jan 2002 Bassmaster they have a picture of the WRAPTOR with a price $49.95 plus shipping. Just my $.02. Thanks!

I use a pair of Hobies with brown presciption poloarized lenses and side shields. Then I also have a pair of green prescription polarized glasses. My wife wears Maui Jims and loves them. The quality of those lenses (non-prescription) is just awesome.

Because of what we paid for these glasses, the cost of buying three retaining straps was mandatory. It has paid off a couple of times when I've leaned over the edge of the boat and my glasses slipped off my nose.

John, I've been wearing Maui Jim Typhoons for a little over a year and they really work great. Previously I had worn Raybans. If I were to buy a new pair today I'm not too sure what I'd choose. The Maui's are nice, but I'm not too sure I could justify the price difference 185.00 for Maui's vs 120.00 for Rayban's......Cmack

Ken, You wanna hook me up wid a pair of dem dare Del Mars? How much? Wrap arounds in amber!

Neeley for Prez!

Rob,

As the head of the Secret Service, wrap-around Del Mars will be a standard part of the uniform.

maybe I'm too late but can I be head of immigration ? I'll tell you some of the laws will have to change...just imagine what kind of interview process/acceptance it would take to get into the US.....<funny dream music>

Come to think of it Pierre,..we never did appoint anybody to the INS,..you're it buddy,...(BTW,..if you bring some bradour's to your interview,..you're as good as confirmed!) LOL

Mac

if you wear perscription glasses, fitovers work very good. i bought mine at a local spec shop. they sell them in cabelas also. thek come with a nice case also. $40.00 i dont like clip-ons when motoring down the lake and you look to the side they usually blow off. the fitovers weather you wear glasses or not are almost like goggles and keep you from tearing up. stan

Been wearing H3O's for about 4 years now and think they're great! They're lightweight so you can wear them all day and not be uncomfortable and they don't dig into your nose. Like the changable lenses, the last hour of light you can just pop in the gray lenses and still see glare free. You can also get replacement lenses when they get too scratched up or if your like me and lose one over the side. They come in a plastic case with a keeper strap and a cleaning cloth.

I also use Del Mars (amber/wrap arounds). Really

Comfortable and lite. Seem a little stressfull After

long use but they work awesome. Bill

all colors have thier special time for seeing the best. brown works in more situations than the others. for me anyway. thanks stan.

I'm with Ernie C, I buy the FLW, Bill Dance Strike King shades or my last batch was the BPS specials that were on sale for $5.00 a pair last fall, got 3 pairs. I loose, scratch, break way too many to justify the $$ to my accountant. I did buy 1 good pair of Senangetti shades in college (just under $100 bucks) and lost them 4 weeks later. That's why I got contacts in high school - could not keep a pair of prescription sunglasses more than a month, and my Mom finaly said I could wear clip-ons or nothing. I was already enough of a geek in highschool, didn't like the clip-on look when I got an my motorcycle to drive home.

Low blow scott, the bikes were (in order of ownership from 1986 - 1989:

- Honda 90cc dual purpose

- Honda 50cc MB5 street bike

- Suzuki 125cc street bike

- Yamaha 400 Special street bike.

OK so some of the Vespa's have more CC's then a few of my bikes but none of the Vestpa's looked as cool as my bikes. The last one was great, and with all (at that time) 100lbs of me she'd topend at 75mph with a 1/2 farring and just me. Totaled her (and me) in May 1989 on the way to work on summer break from school. Long story short a cinder block and I did battle and the cinder block WON! 6 weeks in a wheelchair, 8 more on cruches, still have lots of scars from the accident. Have ridden since (did 125 on a 900 Ninja) but have not owned since then. Originally is was the parents that kept me off bikes (college tuition or a bike, I choose education) and since then have not lived in a place i'd feel safe driving (Chicago, Houston and now Atlanta).

Latest posts

Back