Fishfinders: Does Color Make a Difference?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cass Caldwell2

Reaction score
I am looking to upgrade my fishfinder on the front of my boat with one in the range of an Eagle Fishmark 480 or a Lowrance X135. But, I was wondering if color units make a huge difference? Is the difference worth spending the extra $$$ to upgrade to color?

Also is there a difference in quality between Eagle and Lowrance? They look identical except one is light gray and one is black. Looks like they were manufacture by the same company.

Thanks,

Cass from TN

to me it does, I've heard people say that color isn't good in a bright sun, but I have yet to have a problem in sunlight when viewing the screen. I like the color personally, to me its easier to pick out the bottom vs plain grey, not to mention you can also play with the color backgrounds on those units as well to fit your liking, they have a neat night vision color thats really cool in low light conditions, I have owned simple grey for years, and now have gps color and x102c on the bow(color) and IMHO it is way better

i love my color unit, there is no comparision. yes eagle and lowrance are made by the same company. just different options on units. you cant go wrong with color imho.

mike c

I have used it on James D's Skeeter. I have it on my new boat but I haven't fish with it yet...so here's my limited understanding of color sonar.... it's better. :D

Really, as far as I understand, it will assign different colors to objects of different density. In other words a ball of shad will show up as a different color than a ball of weeds. It might help you tell the difference between a pile of rocks and a brushpile. Greyscale can tell you the same stuff but the color just makes it easier.

Eagle and Lowrance are the same company. In fact I believe they started out as Eagle Electronics and Lowrance came along later. I was at their factory in Tulsa just last week to exchange the transducer on the new 520c I had installed on the new boat. I think the only difference, beside the color difference you mentioned, is the Lowrance will sometimes have a little more power. If you fish in extremely deep water that might make a difference. Other than that the differences are usually minor.

Harpo

Color, Color, Color.. When ever I buy my next unit it will be color. It's like going from a rotary phone to a cell phone. When I fished with John Murray on Kentucky Lake this year and could not only see the fish but see the movement of the lure I was sold. When you have everything set just right and you can see both. Its awsome.

BF

The X102C is on sale at Cabela's right now for $299. Look in the Bargain Cave. That is a a very good deal.

NoCAL

Latest posts

Back